Apple, RIM Phones, Tablets Targeted By Openwave in Patent Case
    By Susan Decker - Aug 31, 2011

Openwave Systems Inc. (OPWV), a maker of software for mobile phones, filed patent-infringement complaints against Apple Inc. (AAPL) and Research In Motion Ltd. (RIMM), seeking to block U.S. imports of the companies phones and tablets.

Apples iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch, as well as RIMs BlackBerry Curve and Playbook, infringe five patents for ways mobile devices connect to the Internet, Openwave said. The company filed cases with the U.S. International Trade Commission in Washington and a federal court in Wilmington, Delaware.

Openwave, which had $38.9 million in revenue in the quarter ended in March, said it took action after failing to receive a substantive response to requests for a licensing deal. The ITC can block imports of products that infringe U.S. patents, and a favorable decision will lead the companies to negotiate licensing agreements, Redwood City, California-based Openwave said in a statement.

Openwave climbed 32 cents, or 22 percent, to $1.79 at 10:24 a.m. New York time in Nasdaq Stock Market trading. The shares surged as much as 27 percent for their biggest intraday increase since Jan. 28, 2009.

Apple, based in Cupertino, California, is the worlds biggest maker of smartphones. Its shares rose 18 cents to $390.17. Waterloo, Ontario-based RIM rose 22 cents to $32.77.

Openwave invented technologies that became foundational to the mobile Internet, Chief Executive Officer Ken Denman said in a statement. We believe that these large companies should pay us for the use of our technologies, particularly in light of the substantial revenue these companies have earned from devices that use our intellectual property.

If the ITC agrees to investigate the complaint, the probe would likely be completed in 15 to 18 months. The companion civil suit in federal court would be put on hold until the ITC completes its work.

Apple, RIM Phones, Tablets Targeted By Openwave in Patent Case - Bloomberg
    08-31-11 10:03 AM
    Fat chance...
    08-31-11 10:04 AM
    And the law suits just keep a coming.

How long before all the legal actions start taking a toll on RIM?

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold
    08-31-11 12:13 PM
    Meh, more patent trolls.....

Curious as to why Google not mentioned?
    09-03-11 02:18 PM
    I love patent war. Company use them as investment. i love that.
    they actually have a budget item in their financial statement for "benefits from lawsuit over patent....pathetic
    09-03-11 02:35 PM
    Meh, more patent trolls.....

Curious as to why Google not mentioned?
    Plaintiffs are probably looking for hardware profits; as Google is not a hardware OEM (yet), there aren't any direct profits to take, and the indirect (ad-related) profits really aren't impressive.
    09-03-11 02:41 PM
    Plaintiffs are probably looking for hardware profits; as Google is not a hardware OEM (yet), there aren't any direct profits to take, and the indirect (ad-related) profits really aren't impressive.
    Could it be Google's Motorola purchase offers Intellectual Property protection from such patent trolls?
    09-03-11 03:08 PM
    Another patient war. Why don't companies just give it up? Thankfully free open source software formats are safe.

All these lawsuits. Gosh. Almost like school-yard bullying, the big guys have to pick on the weaknesses of the smaller guys.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-11 03:59 PM
    Could it be Google's Motorola purchase offers Intellectual Property protection from such patent trolls?
    Eventually it might, but that purchase has yet to be finalized, and won't be for months. Therefore, it isn't protecting Google now.
    09-03-11 05:10 PM
    Google has Google Nexus, so I'd say they can be included.

Gosh, patents seem to be ridiculous these days, ANY idea can be patented. A functional product is something, an idea is another.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-06-11 06:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD