Do you think RIM will try to get into the PC market after BlackBerry 10 (hopping it is successful) hits the market? I think it would be great if they develop a PC QNX OS (along with the hardware) with a real secure environment, lots of options for developers, PC-PlayBook-BB sync, the best web browser they already have (HTML5 performance), etc.

Of course it should be really well developed to make it better than competition and only after the trust in BlackBerry is recovered. So, what's your opinion?
    06-15-12 09:13 PM
    RIM will not get in the computer market, it is too crowded, by purchasing QNX they stepped with one foot into car market, this is where they are heading because "car is Blackberry's ultimate accessory" (Mike Lazaridis)
    06-15-12 09:26 PM
    I agree with gorang. The margins on PC's are very slim and who will buy it? Business won't even consider it if it does not have MS Office and consumers would be as much interested in it as they are with the Playbook.
    06-15-12 09:40 PM
    Use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse with the playbook or BB10 phone and plug it into a large display...there's your desktop computer

Output from BB10 and playbook needs to adjust properly for large displays. Currently it's stretched and loses definition
    Mister-E likes this.
    06-15-12 09:54 PM
    There was a desktop QNX, but nobody was interested in it. I guess who cares whether it's microkernel and RTOS (and QNX is not alone with these properties) if it doesn't have the industry standard professional and consumer software available. It's just another .nix, which may have nice properties suitable for embedded systems.
    06-15-12 10:18 PM
    The PC market is too saturated already as it is. There will be absolutely no point for RIM to even consider that. The only option is to enhance the Playbook so it will replace the need for a PC.
    06-15-12 10:27 PM
    Did no one listen to Heins in the keynote. He says flatly that BB10 was designed to be more than just a smartphone and tablet OS, it's a new mobile computing engine. You can bet that if BB10 get's popular that they will foray into the market to deliver that unique Blackberry experience.

I can see it, and even moreso I can see that the UI elements we've seen show far could easily translate to a gesture based all in one PC running BB10. It need only what it's always needed-dev support.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-15-12 10:34 PM
    Baby steps....they shouldn't even ATTEMPT to get into any other market anytime soon. Focus should be on STAYING in the smartphone market and improving on it so they maintain some sort of relevancy.
    06-15-12 10:35 PM
    Doesn't get more personal than a tablet. RIMs already in the PC market. It won't be long till our mobile devices completely disrupt the market that we traditionally know as PCs.

QNX is simply amazing. I'm glad the competition was asleep at the wheel.
    anon(4018671) likes this.
    06-15-12 10:36 PM
    There was a desktop QNX, but nobody was interested in it. I guess who cares whether it's microkernel and RTOS (and QNX is not alone with these properties) if it doesn't have the industry standard professional and consumer software available. It's just another .nix, which may have nice properties suitable for embedded systems.
    I remember playing around with the free bookable floppy disk version of QNX years ago. I couldn't do anything with it but it was neat to play with. This was back when I'd try any os on my pc just for fun, bsd, Linux etc...

Like others said I can't see rim getting into the pc market. I don't think they'd make it very far. For the pc they need to concentrate on making an excellent piece of software to use with bb10. Something that's as easy to use and works seamlessly with your device like itunes. The current blackberry desktop is too cute ky for the average pc user.
    06-15-12 11:49 PM
    Would be nice if they made available a x86 version of PlayBook to buy. IDK how much support they would need to provide but they would have to develop new drivers for all the different types of hardware/peripherals. Its easy to connect a monitor and PB via HDMI but it still wouldn't be as powerful as a modern desktop. Besides I think RIM has some interesting uses for the QNX OS and cloud computing...we might not even need a powerful desktop eventually. And having RIMs security in front of cloud computing is nice to have!
    06-16-12 04:51 AM
    Yes it's possible. Make a product that is easier to work with and offers more benefits such as security. Market them to certain markets such as government and businesses. Build outwards from there.
    06-16-12 05:32 AM
    I could totally see BB10 on a PC. Here's why:

First, the playbook is almost a PC already. Only a few tweeks and some extra hardware would be required.

Second, organizations that need secure computers would be interested. As a small manufacturer that is focused on security from the ground up, RIM would be (theoretically) targeted by fewer viruses.

Building on this point, apparently some organization (US government?) asked RIM about building an OS in the past. So I am sure that they have considered it.

Lastly, since this would be a low cost product development, it would make sense to quietly try and see if it works.

RIM has some huge problems right now, but there is still potential here too!
    06-16-12 06:22 AM
    I don't see them in the PC market, but I could see them getting into TV (like AppleTV like product) or I could see something like a similar box that connects to a monitor, Keyboard and mouse for e-mail, web, word processing and maybe some games. Not exactly a PC, but something for people that may not want a full PC.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Crackberry App!
    06-16-12 08:21 AM
    I could totally see BB10 on a PC. Here's why:

First, the playbook is almost a PC already. Only a few tweeks and some extra hardware would be required.

Second, organizations that need secure computers would be interested. As a small manufacturer that is focused on security from the ground up, RIM would be (theoretically) targeted by fewer viruses.

Building on this point, apparently some organization (US government?) asked RIM about building an OS in the past. So I am sure that they have considered it.

Lastly, since this would be a low cost product development, it would make sense to quietly try and see if it works.

RIM has some huge problems right now, but there is still potential here too!
    Totally agree with you, I'm an entrepreneur and would like to have a secure environment for my future company, and if you include all the potential they have, wow, it would be amazing, plus now they are getting some experience on how to attract devs.
    06-16-12 12:33 PM
    I hope not. I don't see many people having the need for a QNX PC/laptop.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-16-12 03:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD