08-02-12 08:06 AM
    While thermal imaging cameras have been around for quite some time I actually like
    this idea. As a volunteer firefighter I can see this being put to use to make search
    and rescue much more effective.

Standalone thermal imaging units cost in the thousands of dollars and most departments
    have very few of them. If you augment the standalone devices with personnel carrying
    so enabled smartphones you will increase the effectiveness of the search exponentially.

Whether or not the patent gets approved I have no idea but I think this is an absolutely
    wonderful idea to pursue.
    08-02-12 08:15 AM
    I like the idea combine it with QNX enabled cars and you can mount your phone on your dash and it will show you wear those pesky moose and deer are hiding in the bush when traveling down the highway.

I'm sure it wont be on every BlackBerry should they get the patent but I could see myself spending a bit more to get such a BlackBerry
    drjay868 and BB10FTW like this.
    08-02-12 08:18 AM
    08-02-12 08:18 AM
    I know that in my field even a non calibrate thermal imaging option on my phone would be very helpful.

Even the average consumer might find it helpful to find AC/Heat leaks around windows, or spot potential electrical hot spots. Thermal Imaging is a great tool, but it can be a lot of fun also.
    08-02-12 08:20 AM
    It would be great for my job, if even it was to help give a general indicator as to which areas may be wet and have suffered water damage.
    08-02-12 08:37 AM
    Be nice to microHDMI to a larger screen or tablet to use as a monitor at night while driving to avoid critters. That would be real sweet.
    08-02-12 08:53 AM
    I know that in my field even a non calibrate thermal imaging option on my phone would be very helpful.

Even the average consumer might find it helpful to find AC/Heat leaks around windows, or spot potential electrical hot spots. Thermal Imaging is a great tool, but it can be a lot of fun also.
    That brings to mind another firefighting application. This type of thing would also
    be helpful for identifying fire / hot spots behind walls / ceilings.

There is so much potential here from both a professional and personal standpoint.
    08-02-12 08:55 AM
    oh my, basically a feature even the armed forces would use...
    08-02-12 08:56 AM

I actually do some consulting work for a company that make thermal cameras for fire departments.

They let me use a test unit for day and it was actually extremely useful as an average joe consumer for all the reason you stated. Sealed my house up and forced me to get new windows and cut my heating bill by more than 1/3
    08-02-12 08:57 AM
    If they are filing for these type of patents, makes me wonder what kind of features they have planned for BB10 that aren't on any other platform...
    drjay868 and BB10FTW like this.
    08-02-12 08:58 AM
    If they are filing for these type of patents, makes me wonder what kind of features they have planned for BB10 that aren't on any other platform...
    Not sure the two have anything to do with each other. That patent application
    was signed 26 September 2008, well before BB10 was developed, but that is not to say that
    it can't or won't be incorporated in a coming device on the new platform.
    Rello likes this.
    08-02-12 09:08 AM
    Other than their standard features that make them different (RIM's Network & BBM), the BB10 hardware is going to be just like all the other top of the line devices (we hope)... they aren't going to have pricy hardware that no one else has that would make their devices overly expensive and unmarketable.

And just because they file a patent, doesn't mean they will implement it - only that they might.

Also most patents are for a process to achieve a result, there are usually many ways to acheive the same result. So Apple, Google might have the same results (thermal images on a smartphone) but not be in violation of RIM's patents.

IT WOULD BE COOL... but I don't expect to see it anytime soon.
    08-02-12 09:31 AM
    how about getting some camera patents for civilian use
    08-02-12 09:33 AM
    That's really cool.
    08-02-12 09:57 AM
    It's a great idea.

Unfortunately, it takes RIM in incredibly long time to introduce innovative features and it will be more likely to see this on a competing platform than a BB.
    08-02-12 10:11 AM
    It's a great idea.

Unfortunately, it takes RIM in incredibly long time to introduce innovative features and it will be more likely to see this on a competing platform than a BB.

at the very least that had something to do with a java based OS.

While some might not be happy with the frequency of updates for the Playbook or content. Everyone can agree updating and RIM issuing bug fixes or new features is infinitely better on the Playbook compared to current BB phones

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    08-02-12 11:04 AM
    great...

RIM leapfrogging the competition...

in thermal pr0n...

;-)

-CFOT
    08-02-12 11:14 AM
    great...

RIM leapfrogging the competition...

in thermal pr0n...

;-)

-CFOT
    LOL!
    That would be a laugh to see that!! Psychedelic FTW!!!
    08-02-12 12:19 PM
    was signed 26 September 2008, well before BB10 was developed, but that is not to say that
    Ah, gotcha. yeah, i didnt even bother to look that far into it so thanks for pointing that out. That date kinda does but a damper on the bit of excitement i had lol

Other than their standard features that make them different (RIM's Network & BBM), the BB10 hardware is going to be just like all the other top of the line devices (we hope)... they aren't going to have pricy hardware that no one else has that would make their devices overly expensive and unmarketable.

And just because they file a patent, doesn't mean they will implement it - only that they might.

Also most patents are for a process to achieve a result, there are usually many ways to acheive the same result. So Apple, Google might have the same results (thermal images on a smartphone) but not be in violation of RIM's patents.

IT WOULD BE COOL... but I don't expect to see it anytime soon.
    well when i said features that other platforms dont have, i wasnt really trying to reference hardware...more software than anything. didnt realize it was filed all the way back in 2008 though.

Oh well...like you said, it would be cool but now like you i dont think we'll see it either...but i certainly wouldnt be against it
    08-02-12 01:05 PM
    All caeras have an infered filteron them. By default, they are infrared and a filter is added during manufacture. This is sad.
    08-02-12 02:49 PM
    All caeras have an infered filteron them. By default, they are infrared and a filter is added during manufacture. This is sad.
    This is complete and total nonsense. The difference between an infrared camera and
    a visible light camera is worlds apart and certainly more than the simple application
    of a filter.

You also missed the part where this patent application is for thermal imaging
    NOT infrared. Again, there is a distinction.
    Jasbris likes this.
    08-02-12 02:57 PM

I would put my money on this becoming some new feature on BB10 though, but maybe there won't be...patent portolios do have things companies have no use for.
    08-03-12 01:53 AM
    I would put my money on this becoming some new feature on BB10 though, but maybe there won't be...patent portolios do have things companies have no use for.
    I'd love to see this as a feature in the BlackBerry. The practical uses for it are many.
    08-03-12 07:36 AM
    Check prices here: Thermal Imaging Camera - Compare and Save at Global Test Supply!

with only one under $500 they are very expensive! Possible to be cheaper in a phone?? Hope so
    08-03-12 08:30 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD