BTW, when a CEO mentions the subject of selling the company and does not just state that they are not for sale, that usually means they are quite open to entertaining buyers.....
    Or they keep getting hounded with rumors of being for sale...
    03-30-12 01:12 PM
    More incoherent babble. Good luck finding partners, or developers and customers for that matter.
    Seemed pretty clear and concise to me.
    03-30-12 02:11 PM
    Or they keep getting hounded with rumors of being for sale...
    RIM has lost over 80% of it's value in the last year alone. EIGHTY PERCENT.

No company in the world would be "hounding" to buy them, except to gut the company for the mobile patents. The on-going patent lawsuits in the consumer electronics industry today are each dealing with billions of dollars. It would cost less to purchase Blackberry JUST to use the patents than it would cost one of the big players (Samsung, Apple, MS, Google, HTC, etc.) to defend themselves against litigation.

When your company's entire net worth is less than most of the players' litigation budgets, you're aren't exactly attracting shoppers, you're attracting vultures.
    03-30-12 02:37 PM
    Where are you getting 80%?

Stock price? That's doesn't exactly translate into the value of the company.
    03-30-12 02:51 PM
    I don't get it. I see disconnects between "reinvigorat(ing) our position in the key entry-level smartphone segment" and "We will strongly invest in ... high-end aspirational devices."

Here is the first of these two statements quoted in the BBC article :
    "Blackberry will focus on the cheaper end of the consumer market, rather than trying to provide the kind of services offered by Apple's iPhone", the BBC's technology correspondent Rory Cellan-Jones says." and "We have new BlackBerry 7 devices scheduled to come out in the next few months to reinvigorate our position in the key entry-level smartphone segment, ..." the company said in a statement.

And here is the second from BusinessWeek:
    "“We will strongly invest in enterprise, industrial design, high-end aspirational devices,” Heins said. “BlackBerry cannot succeed if we try to be everybody’s darling and all things to all people.”
    Source : RIM Charts Risky Survival Plan - Businessweek

I still don't see a clear strategy. I see possibilities - you could do high AND low end phones with a clear upgrade path but say you're no longer going to be all things to all people by dumping non-core stuff like BBM Music, etc. Then again, you could simply be confused.

Overall, way better than the Jim & Mike show - at least he spoke clear English. But still not clear strategy.

- R.
    03-30-12 04:38 PM

No company in the world would be "hounding" to buy them,
    You didn't understand what I said...

People are hounding them with questions about being for sale, not that they are being hounded with offers.

Also even if the company was worth squat (which it's not), it still has plenty of patent portfolio...
    03-30-12 07:18 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD