My company is allowing iPhones to replace blackberrys. Several colleagues have gone to them and I am strongly considering it. It isn't just angry birds or a better Facebook app that has me considering it. It is corporate apps like Hilton, American Airlines and Zillow. They turn the phone into a device that is much more than a communication tool.

I travel a lot and having the ability to log in, find hotels, change seats on my flight, etc through the app of the company I am using is a huge draw. Sure I could do this through my bb browser but the speed and accessibility that these native company apps provide is pretty alluring.

The app world selection is so dry, and many of them don't work on my new os7 device.

No one wants to admit it, but we could be much better off if google bought RIM. I love my bb as a communication device but this isn't where the mainstream markets are heading, and the declining market share will only discourage service providers from investing in apps that us loyal bb users can enjoy.

Will OS10 be that miracle?
    02-25-12 09:13 PM
    Google bought Motorola Mobile division, why would they want another hardware manufacturer?

All the apps we are using now will not work with BB10, so early adopters may be disappointed with the initial app selection, unless RIM can get those corporate devs you post about.
    02-25-12 09:34 PM
    02-25-12 09:53 PM
    I personally believe that HTML5 websites will change the huge "need" for apps. I read an article a year or 2 ago and the author spoke about how apps slowed down the growth and quality of corporate websites etc... He made a valid point that if instead of focusing on apps the companies created better websites that catered to mobile needs it would be beneficial long term. HTML5 will make the Internet quite vibrant and expand what we can do. Apps are handy but they are also very limited compared to a website.
    Games are different of course. Games are far better when optimized for mobile via app stores and such.
    02-25-12 10:12 PM
    Yes, I have bb travel on my phone, but since I fly American all the time and stay at Hilton properties, their dedicated apps are way better.
    02-25-12 10:14 PM
    I agree completely. Native apps are easier especially in smaller screen like the 9900. Listen to your users rim!
    02-26-12 12:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD