Google has their own Browser-Chrome, Apple has their own browser-Safari, and Microsoft has their own browser-Internet Explorer. Google also has their own search engine and Microsoft has Bing. RIM needs to expand their horizons beyond phones and tablets because obviously it's not doing them any good.
    03-12-12 10:11 PM
    Are you suggesting RIM should build its own desktop browser?
    03-12-12 10:19 PM
    I don't think that's a good idea.....
    03-12-12 10:20 PM
    I believe the OP is. I don't think it would be a good idea. There are already so many browsers out there that I don't think it would catch on.
    03-12-12 10:21 PM
    I disagree

RIM needs to integrate with more browsers, and services, not create more of their own.

THEY should work on creating a few internal services like a cloud calendar, and cloud contact manager to rely less on google and hotmail working with them, then have the cloud services sync up, like BIS does with emails, combine RIM's ability for shared communication and hosted calendars in the cloud, they could start offering NEW services that are less complimentary,

BUT Why would they enter the saturated NON money generating market of desktop browser, or try and beat yahoo, google, Microsoft at the search engine/ad revenue game
    Buzz_Dengue likes this.
    03-12-12 10:22 PM
    I disagree

RIM needs to integrate with more browsers, and services, not create more of their own.

THEY should work on creating a few internal services like a cloud calendar, and cloud contact manager to rely less on google and hotmail working with them, then have the cloud services sync up, like BIS does with emails, combine RIM's ability for shared communication and hosted calendars in the cloud, they could start offering NEW services that are less complimentary,

BUT Why would they enter the saturated NON money generating market of desktop browser, or try and beat yahoo, google, Microsoft at the search engine/ad revenue game
    Newbay offers through services, all of your suggestions in various forms. Newbay is the key to RIM obtaining a strong desktop presence. The more I research Newbay, the more I am becoming very impressed at their diverse offerings.

For those unfamiliar with Newbay. They are a more recent RIM acquisition, offering some very slick and highly interactive cloud based solutions

www.Newbay.com
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 03-12-12 at 11:00 PM.
    03-12-12 10:50 PM
    RIM's browser is based on the Webkit rendering engine...which is the same used in Safari, Chrome, and the base Android browser. There are plenty of things that RIM really needs to improve drastically, but browser is not really one of them.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    03-12-12 11:24 PM
    Yes... that's it!

I think RIM needs to make printers and laundry detergent too. I also suggest RIM makes their own brand of ketchup. How else will they push BlackBerry fish and chips?
    peargood and Superfly_FR like this.
    03-13-12 12:01 AM
    Yes... that's it!

I think RIM needs to make printers and laundry detergent too. I also suggest RIM makes their own brand of ketchup. How else will they push BlackBerry fish and chips?
    Mazaa aagaya!!
    In english: Awesome!
    03-13-12 05:11 AM
    there's already a topic about this

click
    03-13-12 07:54 AM
    RIM has enough on their plate as it is. They need to finish all their current works in progress before even contemplating the idea of taking on new goals.
    03-13-12 09:00 AM
    There are plenty of things that RIM really needs to improve drastically, but browser is not really one of them.
    ... care to take mt Storm2 for a spin?... if this is an example of a RIM based browser, no thanks...
    03-13-12 09:15 AM
    ... care to take mt Storm2 for a spin?... if this is an example of a RIM based browser, no thanks...
    the browser on the playbook is very good, and thats the browser you will see in future devices - not the storm2 one.
    03-13-12 11:00 AM
    RIM has enough on their plate as it is. They need to finish all their current works in progress before even contemplating the idea of taking on new goals.
    Ah... I see what you did there. You think RIM needs to make fine china?
    03-13-12 11:27 AM
    Ah... I see what you did there. You think RIM needs to make fine china?
    Are you saying that RIM needs to make china or RIM needs to buy China?
    Buzz_Dengue likes this.
    03-13-12 11:36 AM
    I vote for RIM Blackberry Jam or Cobbler!
    Or maybe Diet food, Android ice cream. The more you eat the less you want! Hahaha!
    03-13-12 02:32 PM
    I am on the side of not a new browser, but it does needs some work to many features are missing from it, and it is not a responsive as I would like to see (playbook).
    03-13-12 06:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD