UPDATE 1-RIM names former Goldman exec to board | Reuters
    BlackBerry maker Research In Motion has nominated Timothy Dattels as an independent director on its board, replacing Antonio Viana-Baptista
    So, former G.S executive aboard ... good/neutal/bad news ?
    Oh, at least, let's be polite : Welcome M. Dattels !
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    06-14-12 09:22 AM
    Goldman is a slimy company IMHO. I don't think this is good for RIM and makes me wonder if a sale is coming soon.
    the_sleuth likes this.
    06-14-12 10:11 AM
    I see this as a good thing. Until recently, the management and the board were dominated by people who have worked most of their lives in the local Toronto area. Having people from outside the local area allows RIM to evaluate itself in better perspective compared to other tech firms in other countries. Heins was, of course, another important step in that direction.

I think they are fixing each issue that led them to the position they are in right now. Other global companies have diverse boards.

EDIT: I see Dattels may be from Ontario also? But at least he has a lot of work experience in China and SV. That's important perspective that he can bring to this.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 06-14-12 at 10:44 AM.
    06-14-12 10:38 AM
    Goldman is a slimy company but they are a slimy company that rules the world. It's good to have a one of their boys on board. Never bet against Goldman.
    johnmarki likes this.
    06-14-12 10:39 AM
    Goldmans does not give most people a warm and fuzzy feeling. So far RIM has been able to steer clear of the criticism that some companies receive from perceived unethical or questionable practices. This isn't good for them, but they aren't rookies in this game so hopefully they know what they're doing and his influence is minimal...
    06-14-12 10:50 AM
    RIM does not need another financial wonk on it's board. It already has Barbara Stymiest, Prem Watsa, and Roger Martin.

It needs more representation from USA or Asia, preferably Korean or Chinese/Taiwanese or Indonesian with strong engineering background with experience in US Mobile market. For example, a retired Verizon executive or retired Vodafone executive. A well connected "Ambassador"
    06-14-12 06:09 PM
    I believe he was formally at Goldman but now is at tpg

TPG is a leading global private investment firm with $51.5 billion of capital under management.
    Founded in 1992, TPG specializes in recognizing value – or the potential for value – where others do not. Our contrarian philosophy, global reach, and deep investment and operational expertise set TPG apart from other firms. Our complementary asset classes offer a unique investment platform.

Philosophy

We are problem solvers, partners and pioneers.

TPG's approach to investing helps us recognize value – or the potential for value – where others cannot see it. This contrarian philosophy has delivered consistent and outstanding performance because we dedicate the right mix of capital, time, and management and operational expertise to make successful investments out of challenging situations.
    read more

Expertise

From steady-state buyouts to turnarounds to "off the beaten path" opportunities, we bring deep investment skills, experience, operational and management expertise.

Our investments span a range of industries including financial services, travel and entertainment, technology, industrials, retail, consumer products, media and communications, and healthcare.
    read more

Global Reach

TPG has an extensive global network and long-standing, on-the-ground presence in critical markets.

TPG has built a strong international presence with 17 offices in 10 countries. We were one of the first U.S.-based private investment firms to establish significant operations in Asia and Europe, in 1994 and 1995 respectively.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-14-12 06:16 PM
    Goldman is a slimy company but they are a slimy company that rules the world. It's good to have a one of their boys on board. Never bet against Goldman.
    As long as he's a FORMER Goldman & Sacks exec....What I don't want to see is for RIM to turn into another Apple. One thing I realy respect about them is thy seem to be a moral company. Say what you may about Mike & Jim but they donated a lot to various philanthropic causes. And they were not the only ones, RIM's execs had a reputation for giving back to the comunity...I suspect this was partly becuase they were pushed to do so by their bosses....I don't want to see this change....
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    06-14-12 06:25 PM
    This is... interesting.

I'm not sure that RIM's board was particularly weak, it was poor performance by the executive that buried the company. I'm not nuts about the way a board member with telecom expertise has been replaced by a global finance wonk, but I'd certainly say Dattels' CV makes him appear qualified.
    06-14-12 06:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD