RIM leaving India might really boost sales for them. Anyone who doesn't know about their BES encryption system will know about it once the news really hits the press.
    07-12-11 09:21 AM
    BlackBerry issue: DoT under fire on delay in solution
    8 Aug, 2011, 03.35AM IST, PTI

NEW DELHI: Making it clear that no compromise can be made with nation's security, a parliamentary panel has expressed discontent over several extensions given by the DoT to Canadian firm offering Black-Berry services in highly encrypted format without a satisfactory solution.

"The committee expresses unhappiness over the way the extension after extension are being given to resolve such an important issue related to security of the country," the panel on information technology said in its latest report. Security agencies have expressed concern on highly encrypted communication made through BlackBerry phones and have demanded Research In Motion, maker of BlackBerry phones, to provide them data in readable format.

"The committee has been apprised that out of the various services provided by Black-Berry, the BlackBerry Messenger and Black-Berry Enterprise Solution services cannot be intercepted in readable format, even if the encrypted message is made available by the service providers," the report said.

The government gave three extensions to RIM, with the last date being March 31, 2011. Before the end of its last extension, RIM highlighted a number of other highly encrypted services being provided in the country by its competitors and sought to make it an industry issue.

Thereafter, the government formed a committee to come up with mechanism to deal with encryption issues for providing data access to security agencies which is mandatory under the Indian Telegraph Act. "Constitution of committee for the purpose is another delaying tactics," it said.

Regarding the problem of highly encrypted data, the DoT is of the view that when the message is in transition, the security agencies can intercept it but cannot read it because it is highly encrypted and it is a high level of encryption.

"We have consulted experts. The only solution is, we can ban it...but it can be perceived to be (a) retrograde step because it is not only BlackBerry which uses this kind of service but all kinds of enterprise communications also use it," the DoT sources said.

BlackBerry issue: DoT under fire on delay in solution - The Economic Times
    08-07-11 05:54 PM
    I really can't wait to see how this play's out

Yesterday basically the same article was published on the same site with this added to it

Regarding the problem of highly encrypted data, the Department of Telecom (DoT) is of the view that when the message is in transition, the security agencies can intercept it but cannot read it because it is highly encrypted and it is a high level of encryption.

"We have consulted experts. The only solution is, we can ban it...but it can be perceived to be (a) retrograde step because it is not only BlackBerry which uses this kind of service but all kinds of enterprise communications also use it," the DoT sources said.

There are over one million BlackBerry subscribers in India and the number is growing fast. Indian security agencies have been demanding access to all BlackBerry services as part of its efforts to fight militancy and security threats over the Internet and through telephone communications.

The Committee has firmly said that no compromise can be made when it is the question of the security of the Nation. "The issue need to be taken strongly with BlackBerry so that the matter is resolved," the panel said.

It has also asked Telecom Department to analyse the position internationally to know how the issue has been addressed by other nations.

It is Comical! they want to Ban encryption? how can a country with such intelligent people be run by people with out any clue what so ever!

I look forward to following this further I want to see if they go ahead and Ban BlackBerry's and what other agency's within the government would say!
    08-07-11 06:14 PM
    Wow. That is mind boggling.

"because it is not only BlackBerry which uses this kind of service but all kinds of enterprise communications also use it"

It's like they have never heard of encryption before... surely this is simply a bad translation or something... it must be.

*facepalm*
    08-07-11 06:37 PM
    The whole thing is clearly absurd. Anyone can create an "encrypted" message simply by using 2 copies of the same edition of the same book, a pen, and a piece of paper (or email, or any other form of written communication) using a page#, line#, word# cipher. That message would be indecipherable unless you found out which book they are using - likely by obtaining a warrant and searching their house/office whatever. Does that mean they're gonna want to ban books, pens and paper next?!?

(P.S. - God Save The Queen!)
    Last edited by kstock; 08-07-11 at 07:48 PM.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    08-07-11 07:43 PM
    Indians should rise up against their government if their government wants access to their private conversations.
    /idealistic and improbable opinion.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    08-07-11 08:06 PM
    Indians should rise up against their government if their government wants access to their private conversations.
    /idealistic and improbable opinion.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

the citizens of India already are being snooped on,

this issue is purely the corporations of India with BES enabled,
    Really what the corporations should do is write the governments saying they are relocating offices to another country, due to the risk of being sent back 10 years in technology and losing their email systems.

I'm sure the financial implications of BES's being shut down are enough to make the government think twice.
    chiefbroski, Jake Storm and M.Rizk like this.
    08-07-11 08:09 PM
    Lol, I'm sure the Indian govt knows that the companies there don't have a better source of nearly unpaid labor - the businesses (with the exception of RIM perhaps) won't be going anywhere.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-11 08:18 PM
    RIM is trying to make it a large enough issue by stating that all telecom companies have encryption and that the government cannot blame just RIM. It's true though, hopefully the Indian government starts seeing it as a natural consequence of all smartphones and that privacy and security are important. Just because Blackberry has higher security standards, doesn't mean its a bad thing or that they are the only ones encrypting data.
    08-07-11 08:29 PM
    Lol, I'm sure the Indian govt knows that the companies there don't have a better source of nearly unpaid labor - the businesses (with the exception of RIM perhaps) won't be going anywhere.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I'm sure that they can find people who can't resolve an issue over the phone to staff a call center in a lot of other countries, probably with even cheaper labor.
    08-07-11 09:35 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD