Research in Motion will look into strategic alliances with other technology companies once it has launched its new BlackBerry 10 models, its chief executive told a German newspaper.

German-born CEO Thorsten Heins told daily Die Welt in an interview published on Monday that the group's strategic review could lead to the sale of RIM's hardware production or the sale of licenses to its software, among other options.

"The main thing for now is to successfully introduce Blackberry 10. Then we'll see," Heins was quoted as saying.

RIM hopes its re-engineered line of Blackberry 10 touch-screen and keyboard devices will win back market share lost to rivals such as Apple's iPhone and devices powered by Google's market-leading Android operating system.

(Reporting by Ludwig Burger; Editing by Mark Potter)

Source: Reuters

Not exactly 'news'.. but now Bloomberg, Gizmodo and TechCrunch are reporting the same story. Talking about bad timing..
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-21-13 05:22 AM
    Not exactly 'news'.. but now Bloomberg, Gizmodo and TechCrunch are reporting the same story. Talking about bad timing..
    I can't understand why this would be bad timing. Heins has said that for more than a year and sticks to it, nothing really new here (as you stated).
    If BB10 is a huge success, I presume there will be no rush to set this, either.
    lynxs_claw and _dimi_ like this.
    01-21-13 05:32 AM
    I can't understand why this would be bad timing. Heins has said that for more than a year and sticks to it, nothing really new here (as you stated).
    If BB10 is a huge success, I presume there will be no rush to set this, either.
    Because it brings uncertainty about their hardware division which we don't need right before the launch. If you have a spare moment, take a look at this interview on Bloomberg. Although sentiment has changed a lot compared to 3-6 months ago.. some influential media outlets believe this is just part of Thorsten's plan to eventually get bought out.

I'm not saying this is untrue. Just saying it's bad timing.
    01-21-13 05:58 AM
    i think that as long as they only sell the OS for other tablets brands, it's ok, but not to other phones !!!
    01-21-13 06:05 AM
    01-21-13 07:08 AM
    This is great news. This is what RIM has to do. LOL you have to love the short hedge funds calling their media buddies to try and spin it in a negative way. The only problem is that this is what investors want RIM to do and what RIM needs to do. I love this news.
    01-21-13 07:19 AM
    This is great news. This is what RIM has to do. LOL you have to love the short hedge funds calling their media buddies to try and spin it in a negative way. The only problem is that this is what investors want RIM to do and what RIM needs to do. I love this news.
    In the long run, yes.

BB10 will need to become a success first.. and they need good media coverage for that in order for their own handsets to sell well
    01-21-13 07:29 AM
    Looks like RIM was worrying about their stock running too high Here come corrections. Time to buy more RIMM
    01-21-13 07:33 AM
    In the long run, yes.

BB10 will need to become a success first.. and they need good media coverage for that in order for their own handsets to sell well
    What is your point?
    01-21-13 07:33 AM
    What is your point?
    This is my point.. people start speculating that it shows a lack of confidence from Thorsten. Most consumers are not aware of the strategic review, so they base their opinion mostly on headlines...
    01-21-13 07:38 AM
    Looks like RIM was worrying about their stock running too high Here come corrections. Time to buy more RIMM
    Ya...the only problem is investors like what RIM is doing . Pre-market on the TSX is showing $16.25....no $16.50 now . While it's only pre-market it still looks good.
    _dimi_ likes this.
    01-21-13 07:38 AM
    This is my point.. people start speculating that it shows a lack of confidence from Thorsten. Most consumers are not aware of the strategic review, so they base their opinion mostly on headlines...
    You don't understand business . Keep reading the headline
    _dimi_ likes this.
    01-21-13 07:40 AM
    looks like thor is responding to direct questions rather then making statements.
    none of this is new.
    hopefully it will keep the hardware division on their toes if bb10 is a success

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-21-13 08:11 AM
    This is what I meant.. all focus should be on BB10 right now, instead Thorsten gave the media something else to chew on:
    I have a feeling that this was simply an answer to an interview question, and not something Heins just threw out there on his own. But I also think that this is a good thing for people to chew on. Exploring strategic alliances, in addition to everything else the company has been doing the last 12-24 months, means they are not sitting still. They are looking for ways to possibly streamline operations, capitalize on their core strengths, and economically expand the QNX platform. Selling the whole operation is probably the most extreme option; unless they can find a suitor who's willing to pay top dollar, I don't see how that would be in the shareholders' best interest.

The key line here is: "The main thing for now is to successfully introduce Blackberry 10. Then we'll see," which suggests to me that they're still very much in the exploratory stages of forming alliances and nothing has yet been decided. Really, this is the same nothing that got everybody in a tizzy a few months ago when they first announced they had engaged a bank to help them explore strategic options, one of which being keeping everything as it is and staying the course. As far as I can see, that's still the case.
    _dimi_ and Superfly_FR like this.
    01-21-13 08:11 AM
    I have a feeling that this was simply an answer to an interview question, and not something Heins just threw out there on his own. But I also think that this is a good thing for people to chew on. Exploring strategic alliances, in addition to everything else the company has been doing the last 12-24 months, means they are not sitting still. They are looking for ways to possibly streamline operations, capitalize on their core strengths, and economically expand the QNX platform. Selling the whole operation is probably the most extreme option; unless they can find a suitor who's willing to pay top dollar, I don't see how that would be in the shareholders' best interest.
    The key line here is: "The main thing for now is to successfully introduce Blackberry 10. Then we'll see," which suggests to me that they're still very much in the exploratory stages of forming alliances and nothing has yet been decided. Really, this is the same nothing that got everybody in a tizzy a few months ago when they first announced they had engaged a bank to help them explore strategic options, one of which being keeping everything as it is and staying the course. As far as I can see, that's still the case.
    I, for one would not be terribly upset if Samsung, to borrow a manufacturer name from other threads were to make a line of phones for RIM. The phones work, and it is the OS that makes the phone special. This would also get those less expensive devices everyone is clamoring about running BB10. That would be win win in my books.
    01-21-13 09:35 AM
    Reading comprehension gone down the toilet these days.He just said its a possibility as a fallback plan and it gets sensationalized as it is defo gonna happen smh.Want it now generation not as ''cool'' and ''chill'' out as they claim.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-21-13 10:39 AM
    Because it brings uncertainty about their hardware division which we don't need right before the launch. If you have a spare moment, take a look at this interview on Bloomberg. Although sentiment has changed a lot compared to 3-6 months ago.. some influential media outlets believe this is just part of Thorsten's plan to eventually get bought out.
    I'm not saying this is untrue. Just saying it's bad timing.
    What ? he (T.H) didn't change a word since he became C.E.O. Just go threw the hundreds of articles when a takeover was rumored (maybe 4-6 months ago). You'll find mention of licensing "probably" happening or at least decision to be taken after launch.

i think that as long as they only sell the OS for other tablets brands, it's ok, but not to other phones !!!
    Not sure i can understand why, either. Probably the key for alliances, addressing markets where RIM isn't (and won't go alone) ... Have to be analyzed for each deal, not globally.

Reading comprehension gone down the toilet these days.He just said its a possibility as a fallback plan and it gets sensationalized as it is defo gonna happen smh.Want it now generation not as ''cool'' and ''chill'' out as they claim.
    Oh, thank you
    01-21-13 01:34 PM
    must read : RIM rallies 11% in Canada in advance of Thorsten Heins
    So if nothing has changed, why would he market react positively to this news? Perhaps because investors are happy to hear that RIM hasn't let the good press around BB10 go to its head. They're remaining calm, collected, and rational in their thinking. BlackBerry is fighting for a strong comeback here. It's not the time to stop and claim victory yet.
    01-22-13 02:06 AM
    If someone else manufacturers the devices then it would make RIM balance sheet look a lot better thats why the market likes the news.
    _dimi_ likes this.
    01-22-13 03:41 AM