comScore Reports July 2010 U.S. Mobile Subscriber Market Share - comScore, Inc

So...even amongst the launch of the rehashed Tour, dirt cheap and prepaid Curves and $99 and under 9700, RIM still bled marketshare to the much higher priced Android devices. I'm very intruiged to see how these financials are from RIM and if they will address this in the conference call

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-16-10 01:32 PM
    I can imagine you crying. lol

Research in Motion posts 68 pct jump in 2Q profit - Yahoo! Finance

Instant View: RIM profit rises more than expected - Yahoo! Finance

MATTHEW THORNTON, AVIAN SECURITIES

"This is a nice surprise on the upside. Revenue was better, EPS was better, units were better both for the current quarter, as well as the November quarter guidance,"

"I'm pleased, when you look at the revenue and the volumes and the EPS. The EPS estimate for the next quarter was just absolutely crushed,"

TODD COUPLAND, CIBC WORLD MARKETS

"Clearly a lot of the channel checks that were done during the quarter were not done very well... RIM has a powerful distribution model and relationships with carriers around the world and they have obviously been able to leverage that."

DUSHAN BATROVIC, ANALYST, DUNDEE SECURITIES

"Very strong quarter top and bottom line. I think that the only thing the bears will nit-pick at is net sub (subscriber) adds. Those were 4.5 million, the street was at around 5 million. That was really the only weak spot here, but that is more than compensated from just really strong results across the board and really strong guidance for next quarter, which was a really important thing for them to put out."

"I'm sure there will be those that argue that this company is still headed downwards but I think it's going to push out those timelines here -- the fact that they've been able to pull out these numbers without really having any significant new product launches last quarter. The Torch came in late and it wasn't a blockbuster and they still pulled out a really strong performance."
    09-16-10 03:45 PM
    Yes, but one can only last so long on "name" alone.
    09-16-10 04:18 PM
    Yes, but one can only last so long on "name" alone.
    Yes..because that is all that RIM offers They've been thriving in the smartphone business for along time. They won't be going anywhere anytime soon.
    09-16-10 07:25 PM
    I can understand liking a different phone but this post is sad. Seriously guys, RIM is pretty strong financially. This does not impact you negatively.

09-16-10 07:34 PM
    It's so incredibly funny and predictable...no matter what happens there is a segment of haters on crackBERRY forum who will find negativity no matter the kinds of numbers posted. Fascinating....
    09-16-10 07:44 PM
    I can understand liking a different phone but this post is sad. Seriously guys, RIM is pretty strong financially. This does not impact you negatively.

Agreed. Obviously some people just like bash things/companies they don't like. They want to see RIM fail so bad. It's actually rather sad. If you don't like RIM or RIM products, why spend your free time even remotely involved in any forum directly related to their products much less post in one. I guess it's just a maturity factor. Anyhow, I own a Captivate, i4, 97 & 9800 and I hope all of their respective manufacturers do well. And I tell you this, when any maker(company x) of an electronic device begins to not satisfy my needs, I will immediately find another(company z) one that will. I will not however hang around things all about company x and voice my displeasure. Life is short. Too short to worry about how some random company, of which I'm not directly,personally/and or professionally involved does or doesn't do on the market. G.A.L....
    09-16-10 07:45 PM
    The smartphone market is growing so rapidly that even though RIM lost market share (inevitably given the competitions and its historical large market share) the end market is growing so fast that RIM can still pulled out a very good growth. RIM doom sayers like to paint RIM future to that of Palm's. But I think there is one fundamental difference. Palm was so late in recognizing the changing smartphone trends to color screen and multimedia that it was never able to catch up. RIM has recognized the trend much earlier and it recognized touch screen is the future and produced its storm series and Torch series. While its touch screen models are not competitive enough they are in the game and looking at its track record and innovation I will not be surprise its touch screen model will emerge as one of the top models in the market. Another fundamental RIM has over Palm is its large pool of enterprise users that provide stable cash flows to fund its ongoing innovation. While some enterprises are switching platforms any enterprise decision is slow in nature and many will still remain with RIM

09-16-10 09:27 PM
    AHAHAHAHAHA at what point in that post did I ever say RIM was doomed? I only said their marketshare is slipping which is still true. They also semi addressed EXACTLY WHAT I POSTED. Balsillie distinctly said US sales were soft (i wonder why? iPhone 4 and HTC Evo and Droid X...cant be can it?) until the Torch came along. We all know that wasn't a blockbuster in the least bit (150kish devices) and word on the street is like the iPhone 4 the majority of people who bought the Torch were already subscribers gives reason as to why RIMs net subs fell quite short of the mark.

In our market users are beginning to pass RIM over in favor of others and the stranglehold RIM once had is turning into a light grip. This quarter is a direct reflection of that statement. It's not blue skies for RIM yet, sure they are flexing their muscles in new emerging areas, but others are starting to as well. **** there are still analysts who stil have them on death watch even after this announcement.

RIM still isn't out the hot water yet with quite possibly the fiercest holiday season getting ready to roll in, RIM could be bleeding a lot more in the US if they don't get their **** together and get a coherent device out.

09-16-10 10:49 PM
    You mind fixing the link? I wanna read it.
    09-16-10 11:35 PM
    AHAHAHAHAHA at what point in that post did I ever say RIM was doomed? I only said their marketshare is slipping which is still true. They also semi addressed EXACTLY WHAT I POSTED. Balsillie distinctly said US sales were soft (i wonder why? iPhone 4 and HTC Evo and Droid X...cant be can it?) until the Torch came along. We all know that wasn't a blockbuster in the least bit (150kish devices) and word on the street is like the iPhone 4 the majority of people who bought the Torch were already subscribers gives reason as to why RIMs net subs fell quite short of the mark.

In our market users are beginning to pass RIM over in favor of others and the stranglehold RIM once had is turning into a light grip. This quarter is a direct reflection of that statement. It's not blue skies for RIM yet, sure they are flexing their muscles in new emerging areas, but others are starting to as well. **** there are still analysts who stil have them on death watch even after this announcement.

RIM still isn't out the hot water yet with quite possibly the fiercest holiday season getting ready to roll in, RIM could be bleeding a lot more in the US if they don't get their **** together and get a coherent device out.

The sky is falling!!! The sky is falling!!!
    09-17-10 12:06 AM
    You mind fixing the link? I wanna read it.
    I've edited the post with the proper URL tags, but a simple copy and paste into the address bar would have netted you the same result.

09-17-10 01:34 AM
    I've edited the post with the proper URL tags, but a simple copy and paste into the address bar would have netted you the same result.

Well, I did that but it said, "The requested page could not be found" that's why I asked if he can fix the link. Anyways, thank you.
    09-17-10 02:11 AM
    Aren't reports showing that the market share of the iphone is also dropping a bit in the states?

In any case, as the smartphone market grows it was inevitable that the incumbents would see their market share reduce, both rim in north america and nokia worldwide even while their actual sales continue to increase.
    09-17-10 03:07 AM
    D@devildrifterX et al - I'm curious....do you own Google/Apple stock? Are you a CEO, investor or owner of Google/Apple interests? Because I really would like to understand why you would love to see RIM fail. Did they put you or a family member out of business? Do you have a bet? And why the constant barrage of hate posts in a crackBERRY forum against RIM? What is your goal?
    I'm really wondering about your motivationi

09-17-10 05:28 AM
    80% of the phones apple sold last quarter weren't new subscribers they were people upgrading
    09-17-10 02:08 PM
    I am very interested to see what happens at devcon at the end of the month. Jim said on the conference call you will finally see witch direction this company is going at the end of sept. CX any hints!!!!
    09-17-10 02:12 PM
    80% of the phones apple sold last quarter weren't new subscribers they were people upgrading
    If I understand your grammar correctly here...

No one is questioning whether or not the 12 million BBs sold were new account activations or upgrades. We're wondering if those 12 million were sold to carriers under new distribution contracts or to end users. Do you get it now? So, your example of iPhone4 sales is a bit moot.
    09-17-10 04:47 PM
    a bit what
    09-17-10 08:24 PM
    If I understand your grammer correctly here...
    Good luck with that.

Anyway...
    No matter what happens, the same people will be back with prophecies for the downfall of BlackBerry. Blah blah blah blah.
    I don't understand why they don't get bored hearing themselves say the same crap, over, and over, and over.
    I'm sick of it, and I don't even use a BB anymore.

RIM will likely have a piece of the pie for the next 5-10 years. However, it WILL be a smaller piece than what they have now.
    Last edited by LazyStarGazer; 09-17-10 at 10:28 PM.
    09-17-10 10:20 PM
    If I understand your grammer correctly here...

No one is questioning whether or not the 12 million BBs sold were new account activations or upgrades. We're wondering if those 12 million were sold to carriers under new distribution contracts or to end users. Do you get it now? So, your example of iPhone4 sales is a bit moot.
    To bolster what Civic said, 12 million doesnt mean they reached customers' hands either!

Thats a 100% false premise. 12 million were built and sent to carriers, but who cares? All that matters is how many reached consumers' hands. Stock in warehouses and on shelves means little to a company's success or penetration into the market.

I can build a million of product A, and ship them to a retailer. Sure, I got paid but what success has that bought me if my only 50% of my product actually made it to the consumer?

Is it better to ship 12 million and 6 million reach consumers, or ship 8 million and 7 million reach consumers? Who is really more successful in the market? Shipping lots of units means little without more info.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 09-17-10 at 10:31 PM.
    09-17-10 10:28 PM
    a bit what
    Moot | Define Moot at Dictionary.com

Good luck with that.
    I said grammar, not spelling... lol
    09-17-10 10:35 PM
    Moot | Define Moot at Dictionary.com

I said grammar, not spelling... lol
    I didn't even see the typo.
    09-17-10 10:40 PM
    Agreed. Obviously some people just like bash things/companies they don't like. They want to see RIM fail so bad. It's actually rather sad. If you don't like RIM or RIM products, why spend your free time even remotely involved in any forum directly related to their products much less post in one. I guess it's just a maturity factor. Anyhow, I own a Captivate, i4, 97 & 9800 and I hope all of their respective manufacturers do well. And I tell you this, when any maker(company x) of an electronic device begins to not satisfy my needs, I will immediately find another(company z) one that will. I will not however hang around things all about company x and voice my displeasure. Life is short. Too short to worry about how some random company, of which I'm not directly,personally/and or professionally involved does or doesn't do on the market. G.A.L....
    I like this post, someone with some sense and rationale about themselves. Good post, problem is....there will always be naysayers, they are like spam....robotic to the point of trying to **** in our wheaties...sucks, but how it is.

09-18-10 07:51 AM
    RIM will likely have a piece of the pie for the next 5-10 years. However, it WILL be a smaller piece than what they have now.
    Smaller piece or not you can't be sure about, but one thing is for certain, it will be a much bigger pie then.
    09-18-10 09:56 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD