Rim and/or AT&T's delay in releasing the Bold will surely result in hurting RIM'S bottom line.
    There was a window of opportunity for RIM that is closing fast!
    Quote from ZDNET:
    "Global Bank HSBC is considering ridding themselves of their reliance on the BlackBerry, opting instead to transition their workers to iPhones. If this goes through, it could result in a bulk order of up to 200,000 iPhone units which would most likely rank as the highest mass purchases of the handset to date. The fact that a company like HSBC is even considering the iPhone is testament to robust new Enterprise features in the new 2.0 firmware. The move would be a massive boon to Apple, both in terms of sheer sales as well as public perception, and could conceivably convince other firms to consider a similar move. While we certainly won�t see the BlackBerry disappear any time soon, RIM might want to consider pushing out the Bold before the end of the decade, as product delays like this can�t do much to bolster confidence in the firm�s desire and ability to keep up with the times.
    It also appears that Palm is now releasing a compeating phone to go along with NOKIA's recent release.
    What are these "nitwits" in Canada doing as the market passes them by?
    08-15-08 07:02 AM
    Well, I don't know that I would go that far...
    08-15-08 07:07 AM
    Well, I don't know that I would go that far...
    I agree 100%. I would much rather have a device thats as close to perfect as it can be rather than them rush it because a VERY SMALL part of the market is as IMPATIENT as a 10 year old. HSBC was going to switch weather the Bold was released or not. And once their workers start getting less work done because they have a multi-media device instead of a work device, they'll probably be back.
    RIM's marketing is JUST FINE. There will be a PLETHORA of Bold sales. And RIM will make money off of it as well. People who want the Bold will get the Bold. Only a very small part of consumers who were going to get the Bold will not now because of the wait. See, most people know this is the REAL WORLD, and you can't always have what you want when you want it.

RIM's target was always the summer of 08. Last time I checked, we're still in the summer of 08. I'm a little disappointed it hasn't been released yet, but I'm not so damn impatient that I can't wait. I understand what RIM is producing and understand it takes time to produce a QUALITY device. I'm also not that disappointed in AT&T, because they are the reason for the latest round of delays, but again, they are making sure it's as close to perfect as possible. So while you sit there and call RIM "nit-wits" I'm sure theyll be making a HEALTHY profit off of this device. They aren't a multi-billion dollar business for nothing. And they know most of their consumer base isn't as IMPATIENT as a 10 year old either.
    08-15-08 09:00 AM
    i just hope HSBC is not jumping due to the hype. it is a very big move take though...

I do agree, better to have a solid product than hype up and die later.
    08-15-08 09:18 AM
    I agree 100%. I would much rather have a device thats as close to perfect as it can be rather than them rush it because a VERY SMALL part of the market is as IMPATIENT as a 10 year old. HSBC was going to switch weather the Bold was released or not. And once their workers start getting less work done because they have a multi-media device instead of a work device, they'll probably be back.
    RIM's marketing is JUST FINE. There will be a PLETHORA of Bold sales. And RIM will make money off of it as well. People who want the Bold will get the Bold. Only a very small part of consumers who were going to get the Bold will not now because of the wait. See, most people know this is the REAL WORLD, and you can't always have what you want when you want it.

RIM's target was always the summer of 08. Last time I checked, we're still in the summer of 08. I'm a little disappointed it hasn't been released yet, but I'm not so damn impatient that I can't wait. I understand what RIM is producing and understand it takes time to produce a QUALITY device. I'm also not that disappointed in AT&T, because they are the reason for the latest round of delays, but again, they are making sure it's as close to perfect as possible. So while you sit there and call RIM "nit-wits" I'm sure theyll be making a HEALTHY profit off of this device. They aren't a multi-billion dollar business for nothing. And they know most of their consumer base isn't as IMPATIENT as a 10 year old either.
    As a "shill" for RIM, please enlighten me as to WHY, if the delay is to make the "perfect device", it has already been released in other parts of the world? Are we to assume a less than flawless device was released in the Netherlands, Chili, Australia etc? When their larger markets are in North America!
    08-15-08 11:41 AM
    I'll be honest... if I wasn't on this site I would have NO idea the Bold was coming. I only know because I read it on here. As someone who isn't ridiculously tech savvy, marketing/ad campaigns are what usually alert me to a new device.

I knew the 3g iPhone was coming long before I heard about the Bold.
    08-15-08 11:55 AM
    I'll be honest... if I wasn't on this site I would have NO idea the Bold was coming. I only know because I read it on here. As someone who isn't ridiculously tech savvy, marketing/ad campaigns are what usually alert me to a new device.

I knew the 3g iPhone was coming long before I heard about the Bold.

Definately!!!! Even the first iPhone that came out was delayed many times!
    08-15-08 11:59 AM
    I'm about to buy my first blackberry. I was going to 2 years ago, but I didn't like the 7100i. Now they're coming out with the 8350 so I'm buying that.

That being said, when I started looking online for info on up-and-coming BB's, there was plenty of information out there. Only a small share of it was actually from RIM. But between this site and infosyncworld.com, I found what I was looking for.

They may not advertise way in advance like some other companies do, but it seems like they have enough of a following that they don't have to. People who own a BB or wish to (like me), will find the info they're looking for.

Personally, I think marketing can be almost to the point of abusive sometimes. Constant overload in advertising won't make me buy a product. It's like the pushy sales guy in the store.

I would much rather see RIM put that money into the product itself, than to advertise excessively. I know there needs to be some marketing, but I like that it's not in my face.

Besides, isn't word of mouth the best advertising there is? As soon as people get this little phone in their hands, word will spread.
    08-15-08 12:46 PM
    As a "shill" for RIM, please enlighten me as to WHY, if the delay is to make the "perfect device", it has already been released in other parts of the world? Are we to assume a less than flawless device was released in the Netherlands, Chili, Australia etc? When their larger markets are in North America!
    Ok, first off, the device is NOT being held up by RIM. Thats why other parts of the world have it. And it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

About assuming a less than flawless device was released. You tell me, what about the BUGGY "Official" OS releases from FOREIGN carriers? Other carriers do NOT test the equipment the release as intensively as the US, plain and simple. The Bold has been ready for consumers for a while now. The delay is completely on the carriers. So next time make sure you rant at the appropriate party. As far as the "shill" comment, I am not, I just happen to know what I am talking about and do not rant at someone who is not at fault. Next just get the facts straight. And don't make rude comments to someone who when yourself have no clue as to what it is you are talking about.
    08-15-08 12:46 PM

They may not advertise way in advance like some other companies do, but it seems like they have enough of a following that they don't have to. People who own a BB or wish to (like me), will find the info they're looking for.
    Exactly... Those of us who own one already don't need fancy marketing to convince us. And really, how many of you got a Blackberry because you knew someone that had one, and they loved it?
    08-16-08 02:14 AM
    Exactly... Those of us who own one already don't need fancy marketing to convince us. And really, how many of you got a Blackberry because you knew someone that had one, and they loved it?
    I took a chance on one. I'd never had one, only knew one person that had one, and he hated it - turns out he never learned how to use it - no email, text, or anything except phone. He now has a Voyager and is happy with it. I played with a Voyager, and hated it. What a piece of frakking hooey.

Two people I know have bought Blackberrys since I bought mine, based on my experience. And, I'm not evangelizing or trying to sell them. My wife bought an LG enV2 because she thought she liked it - she thought the keyboard on my Curve was too small to use. After two weeks with the enV2, she spent an evening texting on my Curve, and asked "Why is it easier to text on your phone after an hour than it is on my phone after two weeks?" Two days later, she had her own pink Curve.

The capabilities of Blackberrys sell the phones - bad experiences, like faulty equipment or flawed OSs, will result in lost sales.

I'm betting RIM would lose more sales by prematurely selling a defective new phone (or phone with defective OS), then they lose when impatient people buy something else because they're tired of waiting.

Having said that, I'll agree that RIM's marketing isn't very good. Look at how effectively Apple hyped the iPhone. Everyone knew they would be perfect, even people who knew nothing about phones except how to dial them. Even after all the problems with the iPhone 1.0, and the growing complaints about 3G service and dropped calls with the iPhone 3G, everyone STILL thinks the iPhone is perfect.

THAT is effective marketing.
    08-16-08 02:02 PM
    I wouldn't necessarily call RIM's marketing a disaster.. In fact, I wouldn't call it a disaster at all whatsoever. Apple needed to promote and hype the iPhone to the point of being ridiculous just to make the sales they did. RIM doesn't need to do this, their devices speak for themselves. Just because there isn't a plane flying outside my office right now with a "Buy the Bold!" banner flapping behind it, doesn't mean that RIM's marketing is inferior in any way, or that I won't purchase one of the new devices... Come on now guys. Think about it.
    08-16-08 02:13 PM
    Rim and/or AT&T's delay in releasing the Bold will surely result in hurting RIM'S bottom line.
    There was a window of opportunity for RIM that is closing fast!
    Quote from ZDNET:
    "Global Bank HSBC is considering ridding themselves of their reliance on the BlackBerry, opting instead to transition their workers to iPhones. If this goes through, it could result in a bulk order of up to 200,000 iPhone units which would most likely rank as the highest mass purchases of the handset to date. The fact that a company like HSBC is even considering the iPhone is testament to robust new Enterprise features in the new 2.0 firmware. The move would be a massive boon to Apple, both in terms of sheer sales as well as public perception, and could conceivably convince other firms to consider a similar move. While we certainly won’t see the BlackBerry disappear any time soon, RIM might want to consider pushing out the Bold before the end of the decade, as product delays like this can’t do much to bolster confidence in the firm’s desire and ability to keep up with the times.
    It also appears that Palm is now releasing a compeating phone to go along with NOKIA's recent release.
    What are these "nitwits" in Canada doing as the market passes them by?
    Well golly there Billybob, it looks like us "nitwits" are going to get it before you do!

News & Rumors | CrackBerry.com
    08-16-08 04:34 PM
    Apple needed to promote and hype the iPhone to the point of being ridiculous just to make the sales they did. RIM doesn't need to do this, their devices speak for themselves.
    I'm gonna have to agree. This is what I try to explain to ppl. Just because RIM doesn't have a 1,000 commercials for the release of their new devices, does not point to failure. They will INDEED speak for themselves, as anyone who knows anything about phones, know RIM knows what they are doing and will NOT disapoint. I guarantee you the bold, javelin, etc will all be a HUGE success reguardless of marketing ploys, such as apple was forced to do......RIM does not need to advertise and waste an INSANE amount of money as "their devices speak for themselves" just like us faithful BB users already know!!! You watch stock in RIMM go way up when these phones come out.......
    08-16-08 04:57 PM
    the iphone is in the news again today. Rush to release unfinished product will turn off new users. I want a new bb but not before it ready. *thunder
    08-16-08 07:08 PM
    honestly its not a disaster, because they wanted to be sure the phone was not broken. And take a little more time.

It would be a disaster if, they released it and it was broken or did not work properly, hmm example #1 the Iphone 3g, dropped calls, problematic infineon chip, freezing ....

So I think we are safe in knowing rim is doing the right thing
    08-17-08 06:19 PM
    I wouldn't necessarily call RIM's marketing a disaster.. In fact, I wouldn't call it a disaster at all whatsoever. Apple needed to promote and hype the iPhone to the point of being ridiculous just to make the sales they did. RIM doesn't need to do this, their devices speak for themselves. Just because there isn't a plane flying outside my office right now with a "Buy the Bold!" banner flapping behind it, doesn't mean that RIM's marketing is inferior in any way, or that I won't purchase one of the new devices... Come on now guys. Think about it.
    i agree, they are still giving the iPhone 3G a ton of hype, and it still lacks many basic functions, and the software has tons of annoying bugs
    08-17-08 07:12 PM
    the iphone is in the news again today. Rush to release unfinished product will turn off new users. I want a new bb but not before it ready. *thunder
    And yet, despite the complaints, which are actually making the mainstream press, people are STILL lining up to buy the thing. They don't care what problems it has, it's still the coolest, newest, greatest, must-have gadget on the market.

I hope the Bold's problems are COMPLETELY ironed out before it is released.
    08-18-08 08:44 PM
    I phones are junk!! Nos sure why people like touch screen...
    08-25-08 02:47 PM
    And yet, despite the complaints, which are actually making the mainstream press, people are STILL lining up to buy the thing. They don't care what problems it has, it's still the coolest, newest, greatest, must-have gadget on the market.
    As anyone who works in IT can tell you the average person has NO FRIGGEN CLUE about anything related to technology. They run out and buy the most expensive computer they can find so they can brag that they have the best, and then use less than 10% of the computer's capabilites. They spend tons of money on the fastest broadband connection available, when all they do is surf the web and read their email, and the lowest speed DSL is more than adequate for them. Same thing happens with cameras, TVs, dvd players, and any other sort of tech.

The IPhone is no different. The vast majority have little or no idea what it's really about about. They don't care about push e-mail, or corporate enterprise servers. They just know that it's the newest, shiniest toy to hit the market, so they gotta have it. As for the complaints "making the mainstream press", that depends a lot on what you call mainstream. I've seen the articles and reviews. They're all in the business or technology section of the newspaper (and how many people even read THAT any more???). Or they're on tech related websites or message forums like this one. The simple reality is that I suspect most IPhone owners have no clue how widespread the problems are because they just don't keep up with the news. And lets face it, the IPhone is, without a doubt, marketed at just these types of people.

BlackBerry, on the other hand, has been historically marketed towards business people and techno-geeks like me. We're much more likely to be informed and to hear about any problems. Which means that RIM absolutely can't afford to release a lemon. They'd loose far too much business.
    08-25-08 03:23 PM
    RIM and PALM have been out there forever, you still see early models of RIM products still out there and in use today, most PALM users upgrade to keep new equipment. Both companies are eligible for phone insurance...apple iphones are not covered!

Apple, yet a great company (I'm a fluent mac user myself, love it) they just don't have the cell phone/smartphone/pda expierence.

If a carrier or financial company switches, that's their fault.... Ill always have a RIM product. I enjoy the reliability and BIS service.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-08 06:03 PM
    I couldn't possibly sit by while inaccurate information floats across my screen lol kidding, HSBC denied these rumors actually.

this is the full article on the misinterpreted response to a question:

HSBC denies massive iPhone port -Mobile News

Global bank denies it is considering moving a huge corporate account, worth 200,000 lines, from BlackBerry to Apple

Banking giant HSBC has denied reports it is considering switching a 200,000 global handset account from BlackBerry to Apple.

Last week, HSBC Australia and New Zealand chief information officer Brenton Hush was quoted on an Australian technology website as saying HSBC was considering transferring a giant coprorate account to Apple, to obtain iPhones for over 200,000 staff currently using BlackBerry devices.

But a UK spokesperson for HSBC told Mobile News: "I don't know if he was miss quoted or if it was made up, but I can put the rumours to bed now and state there is no truth in it at all. It's simply not going to happen."

However, an HSBC Australia manager of group communications said: "We always explore the potential application of new technologies and this is no different."

Should the move materialise it would see the largest corporate order of handsets for Apple since the device was first launched in 2007.

The updated 3G version of the iPhone has increased the device's appeal to corporate users. It includes push email and is compatible with a Microsoft Exchange server.

BlackBerry maker RIM refused to comment.
    08-26-08 03:47 PM
    Yes. They should bring us the new models cheaper and FASTER!!!
    08-28-08 08:13 PM
    honestly its not a disaster, because they wanted to be sure the phone was not broken. And take a little more time.

It would be a disaster if, they released it and it was broken or did not work properly, hmm example #1 the Iphone 3g, dropped calls, problematic infineon chip, freezing ....

So I think we are safe in knowing rim is doing the right thing
    infinnion they pit a tpm chip in toshiba laptops the frivers a pain i uninstlled it it works just fine if not faster cause of it.

one thing I'd like like to see rim do that Nokia and Htc already do

is but diredct form the factory online you go to nokia htc' webites you gan buy an unlocked unbranded device at the unsubsidized price.

now you go to Rim's site it says under buy it say wer to buy got to carrier X or Y and buy it.

I think they would sell alot more unit's this way besides telcos disablee some features when they brand em.
    08-31-08 03:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD