My work and other secure environments do not allow cameras so your requirement does not apply to all. Fact is there is no "one size fits all." My work BB without a camera goes in the building with me, my personal devices stay in my purse in my locker because they have cameras.
    Exchange has a policy to disable the camera and you can set up Exchange to only allow provisioned devices.

The fact that you can get a BB without a camera is pretty much moot. Even BES has a policy to disable it, so you don't even need to get a BB without a camera for security concerns... Of course some businesses are just paranoid like that...
    04-18-11 07:05 AM
    Wow, this thread is still alive and I've been accused of wearing old woman underwear.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-18-11 07:37 AM
    I honestly don't get the whole front face camera argument. People don't even make phone calls anymore, everything is text messages. So do you actually believe facetime(or whatever its called) on the iphone is actually used? I can see its use for say people that haven't seen there family in months and want to see their faces when they talk, but that's the only time I can see it actually be used.

Front facing cameras are a fad pushed out to the mass public by apple, now everyone thinks they need it. Seriously sit back and think about how much you'll actually use it. Its the sheeple attitude that's driving every other manufacturer to put this on their devices. I for one am glad RIM hasn't bowed to the sheeple attitude every other phone manufacturer is bowing to. "Apple is doing it and their successful so lets follow them." I'm not saying that I disrespect apple or android or whatever, but the apple is doing it so we have to attitude will come to an end. All in due time.

Moronic to say the least.
    04-18-11 07:46 AM
    Exchange has a policy to disable the camera and you can set up Exchange to only allow provisioned devices.

The fact that you can get a BB without a camera is pretty much moot. Even BES has a policy to disable it, so you don't even need to get a BB without a camera for security concerns... Of course some businesses are just paranoid like that...
    I used to do some deliveries to an airplane parts making factory, if the phone had a camera it had to stay at the gate security, that's as far as it went. Don't underestimate industrial espionage.

04-18-11 07:49 AM

Some businesses' paranoia serve to protect your freedom to complain about businesses' paranoia.

For those business Exchange is not an option.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    04-18-11 07:58 AM
    Really ? Seriously are you really going there? So you're saying that the less than two year old bb can get 6.0? Wow.

Good luck getting qnx os on ANY bb that is released this year.

Wow.

So true. Recently advised a friend that Torch, while a good deal, would not run QNX. A Blackberry lover jumped all over me and said 'get your facts straight!' um...I did...?
    04-18-11 09:02 AM
    Being loyal to Blackberry makes no less sense than being loyal to Apple. as we all know, there are a zillion Apple fans out there and I think we also know that while the iPhone is a good device, it is no more the be all/end all device than any other device. Loyalty to a device is developed for a lot of reasons and not just whether you think it's the greatest device out there. For whatever reason, the BB or the iPhone or whatever meets your needs in a way nothing else can. THAT'S what creates loyalty. I've been using Android devices for a while now but will be coming back to Blackberry very soon (although I am keeping my Android tablet). Even though I like Android a lot also, I have never forgotten my first love - Blackberry. It is not without it's faults but there is NO perfect device out there, not even the iPhone. I believe those people who are loyal to a particular device do so becuase the things that are most important to them are the things that that particular device excell at. Blackberry does a number of things that absolutely no one does better and I'm sure iPhone has features than some users can say the same about. If you love your iPhone or Android phone, that's great but I will ALWAYS have a special place in my heart for Blackberry.

Do we REALLY have to turn this discussion into such a hate fest? Geez.
    Last edited by clitrenta; 04-18-11 at 09:26 AM.
    04-18-11 09:21 AM
    I honestly don't get the whole front face camera argument. People don't even make phone calls anymore, everything is text messages. So do you actually believe facetime(or whatever its called) on the iphone is actually used? I can see its use for say people that haven't seen there family in months and want to see their faces when they talk, but that's the only time I can see it actually be used.

Front facing cameras are a fad pushed out to the mass public by apple, now everyone thinks they need it. Seriously sit back and think about how much you'll actually use it. Its the sheeple attitude that's driving every other manufacturer to put this on their devices. I for one am glad RIM hasn't bowed to the sheeple attitude every other phone manufacturer is bowing to. "Apple is doing it and their successful so lets follow them." I'm not saying that I disrespect apple or android or whatever, but the apple is doing it so we have to attitude will come to an end. All in due time.

So.......you're saying that if blackberries DID a ffc, you'd complain because it wasn't necessary? I doubt it. Plus, iPhones weren't the first phones in the US to get a ffc. Apple just did what they usually do & make it sound like they're doing something totally new & different (remember when they were touting the COPY & PASTE update??). I have a camera w/ a ffc. Do I use it every day? Nope. But, I'm glad I have it. My baby brother is getting married to a wonderful woman next month. They're moving to Tucson soon after. When they start popping out the kids, you better believe they'll call me & show me juniors first words, steps, etc. If I happen to be in line at the bank, that's fine. I won't miss that moment.

One of my best friends has an iPad, & his mom has an iPod Touch. They video chat quite a bit, despite the fact that they only live a couple hours away & they see each other often. She's getting up in age, & loves any opportunity to see her son.

It's also useful for self-pics. A few nights ago an old friend messaged me "I miss your face." I quickly fired up the ffc, & snapped a pic of myself. That was easier to do than try to take the pic w/ my rear camera & getting the angle right.

Just because YOU don't see the point of a ffc doesn't mean it's not beneficial for others. To call others moronic because they don't have the same needs as yourself? Wow. No one's forcing you to buy a phone w/ a ffc. But, if blackberry users want that option they should be able to have it. I can see TONS of benefit for RIM to adopt ffc technology. I work for a conferencing company, & video chat for conference calls is becoming increasingly common, for one.
    04-18-11 11:12 AM
    Well said Clitrenta. Original poster was probably trying to start a flame war (Mission accomplished), talks about his love of these phones, or whatever, the dismisses competing products as toys. A common theme among Blackberry devotees is that it's a solid reliable tool, and that other devices are toys. There is a profound ignorance to these claims which many are tired of ignoring.

Many competing products are in fact incredibly useful and versatile business tools. Blackberry is great for many things but part of me gets annoyed when a Blackberry fan urges an end user to buy something like a Torch when what they really want is an iPhone. Some people don't understand the difference until it's too late, and they are left with something that they won't enjoy nearly as much. Those who urge people to buy Blackberry are the types who fixate on anecdotal non-issues from the competition (Many Blackberry lovers assume all iphones have broken antennas) and ignore the record low customer satisfaction results RIM has recently earned.

RIM, as a company, and many of their die-hard fans have been deluding themselves into thinking that things are going great, when really, RIM put it's feet up in 2006 and stopped innovating for years. They had the market virtually to themselves and they hurt that huge advantage by dismissing emerging competition as 'toys'.

So definitely be loyal if you want, you can do it without dissing the competition, you can even do it with proclaiming it, and if you do diss, expect some bite back, because the competition is pretty good.
    Last edited by jvic31; 04-18-11 at 11:16 AM.
    04-18-11 11:14 AM

Look at the location of the person you replied to. I live in the same area and since you may not know the largest employer here in Northern Virginia is the Federal Government both direct and via contracts. This person could work in one of a hundred different places but just to name a few very common employers in the Northern Virginia region...

CIA Vienna, VA a suburb of Fairfax County
    NSA Ft. Mead, MD within commuting distance of Northern Virginia
    The Pentagon Arlington, VA
    The State Department Washington, D.C.
    NRO [National Reconnaissance Office] Chantilly, VA

None of these facilities allow devices with cameras into their facilities. They do not issue any devices with cameras and do not grant access to anyone with such a device. The "armed" security personnel will not call your employer to ask what IT policies they have implemented to disable the camera. They will either refuse you entry or confiscate the device [Period! No debate will occur].

Her comment was she works in a facility that does not allow such devices [Period!]. This policy extends to personnal as well as work issued devices. And the policy extends to vendors and consultants. In some cases failing to follow this policy will get you arrested and charged with a crime.
    04-18-11 11:18 AM
    I have purchased the reflect7 carbon but unfortunately the download link is expired. I called the crackberry customer support number and they had told me that mobihand is responsible for updating the download link and to provide it. Crackberry is only a seller party.

How can i go on about another alternative if i had already sent an email to customersupport@mobihandstating my issue? Besides purchasing that same them from another site which i really do not want to do and get this one resolved since its paid already.

Any advices? Would help much thank you.
    04-18-11 11:23 AM
    Update my phone??? Why? They will come out with new characters for phone numbers or retool the English language thus rendering obsolete my QWERTY keypad?

I bought a Blackberry for:

A good QWERTY keypad
    Good battery life and a removable battery
    Good Speakerphone
    Good Ringer
    A PIM interface I knew [Been using Blackberry since 2000 when my employer issued me one]

So I do not use my Blackberry with BES or Outlook. I used it as a standalone PIM. I back it up with the Desktop Manager software once a week. I will not upgrade firmware unless it is a security patch or to fix an existing problem. It is not for everyone. I could have easily bought a feature phone and ben happy. Except unless you buy a used one it is becoming more difficult to find a feature phone with a QWERTY keypad.

I don't use/need/want:

The internet on my phone
    Bluetooth
    Ringtones
    Picture/Wallpaper
    Games
    Movies

I want a reliable phone that I can text from that will last. I have tried Droid X and it was great for entertainment but I did not like not having a keyboard or good battery life. It was much larger than a BB and so I went back to my "phone".

I am happy and I am happy for anyone who has found the phone they need.
    04-18-11 11:31 AM

You are right I have three teenagers at home 14, 15, and 18 and they all have devices with front facing cameras such as ipad2, ipod touch, Android Tablets. The fascination lasted a week. After which they never used the front facing camera again. They still use IM and text and don't forget Facebook.
    04-18-11 11:34 AM
    Well said Clitrenta. Original poster was probably trying to start a flame war (Mission accomplished), talks about his love of these phones, or whatever, the dismisses competing products as toys. A common theme among Blackberry devotees is that it's a solid reliable tool, and that other devices are toys. There is a profound ignorance to these claims which many are tired of ignoring.

Many competing products are in fact incredibly useful and versatile business tools. Blackberry is great for many things but part of me gets annoyed when a Blackberry fan urges an end user to buy something like a Torch when what they really want is an iPhone. Some people don't understand the difference until it's too late, and they are left with something that they won't enjoy nearly as much. Those who urge people to buy Blackberry are the types who fixate on anecdotal non-issues from the competition (Many Blackberry lovers assume all iphones have broken antennas) and ignore the record low customer satisfaction results RIM has recently earned.

RIM, as a company, and many of their die-hard fans have been deluding themselves into thinking that things are going great, when really, RIM put it's feet up in 2006 and stopped innovating for years. They had the market virtually to themselves and they hurt that huge advantage by dismissing emerging competition as 'toys'.

So definitely be loyal if you want, you can do it without dissing the competition, you can even do it with proclaiming it, and if you do diss, expect some bite back, because the competition is pretty good.
    So what you are basically saying is that many Blackberry users don't know what they are talking about? Yeah sure my Torch doesn't do all the things that my 3gs did, but you know what I don't give a rats ###. They are just phones. Why do some of us put so much emphasis on CELL PHONES. It has gotten to a point where I genuinly feel sorry for some of the people I know and some of the people who are constantly on this site. To tell a group of people they are deluded for what they like is what a-h@les and people who want to make themselves feel better about what they have. Some of you people have some growing up to do.

Last edited by Red777; 04-18-11 at 01:06 PM.
    04-18-11 12:52 PM
    I jumped off the Blackberry bandwagon when I went with the Storm 2 (9550). First of all, they put out the product and it was full of bugs. The scroll was very laggy as well as the phone itself. When you saw the phone in Rimm's commercial, the scrolling was as smooth as the IPhone. Whenever Rimm would come out with an update, the upgrade had bugs as well. Tired of Rimm of just pushing phones out there just to make money. Their reasoning is let's release them and then will fix all the bugs. Well, all the bugs never got fixed. Then to spend all that money on the Storm 2 and thier 6.0 operating system cannot work on the phone. Sorry Rimm, lost me a while back. I don't trust you anymore. Looking ahead for the IPhone 5 to come out on Verizon. As soon as it does, hello IPhone 5 and hello IPad. Won't fool me again.
    04-18-11 12:53 PM
    I jumped off the Blackberry bandwagon when I went with the Storm 2 (9550). First of all, they put out the product and it was full of bugs. The scroll was very laggy as well as the phone itself. When you saw the phone in Rimm's commercial, the scrolling was as smooth as the IPhone. Whenever Rimm would come out with an update, the upgrade had bugs as well. Tired of Rimm of just pushing phones out there just to make money. Their reasoning is let's release them and then will fix all the bugs. Well, all the bugs never got fixed. Then to spend all that money on the Storm 2 and thier 6.0 operating system cannot work on the phone. Sorry Rimm, lost me a while back. I don't trust you anymore. Looking ahead for the IPhone 5 to come out on Verizon. As soon as it does, hello IPhone 5 and hello IPad. Won't fool me again.
    At the end of your reply it sounds like you are breaking up with your girlfriend

04-18-11 01:10 PM
    That's kind of an outdated argument since the birth of LiveProfile.
    The only thing outdated here is the use of your rolleyes emoticon. LiveProfile is no where near as big as BBM. It has the potential but that is not happening yet.

There are plenty of people buying BBs just for BBM. If you don't think that is the case then you need to wake up.
    Last edited by avt123; 04-18-11 at 01:47 PM.
    04-18-11 01:43 PM
    I didn't think it would turn into a Blackberry/Android/iPhone fight. All I wanted to convey was how some people are still loyal to Blackberry for whatever reason it is.

Of course, kids that own toys, have to put their 2 cents in with their "fast "fast" smartphone. Sorta remind me of Rebecca Black*

If you don't know who she is by now, Youtube her, she's a lot of fun fun fun.
    Just like you are here defending why you bought and stay loyal to your toy.

Are you going to get upset that I called the BB a toy, because you seem to think it is the only device that isn't.
    04-18-11 01:46 PM
    I didn't think it would turn into a Blackberry/Android/iPhone fight. All I wanted to convey was how some people are still loyal to Blackberry for whatever reason it is.

Of course, kids that own toys, have to put their 2 cents in with their "fast "fast" smartphone. Sorta remind me of Rebecca Black*

If you don't know who she is by now, Youtube her, she's a lot of fun fun fun.
    A lot of these threads turn into a Blackberry/Android/iPhone fight.

It's just seems to be the norm around here.
    04-18-11 02:34 PM
    So what you are basically saying is that many Blackberry users don't know what they are talking about? Yeah sure my Torch doesn't do all the things that my 3gs did, but you know what I don't give a rats ###. They are just phones. Why do some of us put so much emphasis on CELL PHONES. It has gotten to a point where I genuinly feel sorry for some of the people I know and some of the people who are constantly on this site. To tell a group of people they are deluded for what they like is what a-h@les and people who want to make themselves feel better about what they have. Some of you people have some growing up to do.

I'm not saying they don't know what they are talking about, I just think some Blackberry fans are so fixated on what the brand means to them (loyalty and such) that they encourage others to buy into the product too.

Telling a friend who does not follow these products that these items are 'the same' does them a disservice.
    04-18-11 02:37 PM
    I'm not saying they don't know what they are talking about, I just think some Blackberry fans are so fixated on what the brand means to them (loyalty and such) that they encourage others to buy into the product too.

Telling a friend who does not follow these products that these items are 'the same' does them a disservice.
    I agree. From what I've seen, though, Apple fanbois are the worst at this. A few weeks ago, a friend on Facebook was asking her friends if she should get an iPhone or Android, & laid out all she was looking for in a device (she was switching from a higher-end Nokia, I believe). Everyone was telling her that Android was what she needed, but her brother was going on & on about iPhones & talking about things that she didn't even need/want her phone to do & ignoring the fact that iPhones don't do some of the things that she said were most important.
    04-18-11 03:16 PM
    I agree. From what I've seen, though, Apple fanbois are the worst at this. A few weeks ago, a friend on Facebook was asking her friends if she should get an iPhone or Android, & laid out all she was looking for in a device (she was switching from a higher-end Nokia, I believe). Everyone was telling her that Android was what she needed, but her brother was going on & on about iPhones & talking about things that she didn't even need/want her phone to do & ignoring the fact that iPhones don't do some of the things that she said were most important.
    So then why did she ask about the iPhone if the iPhone doesn't do what was "most important"? Just saying.

On the flip side of that she wanted to know which phone she should get between the two platforms. Ok, you say everybody was telling her that android was the way to go, and apparently that was cool by you.

But because her brother went on and on about the iPhone, and about stuff that she didn't want/need, he has to be labeled an Apple Fanboi?
    04-18-11 04:47 PM
    Oops! I read the title of the thread wrong. I thought it read," RIM Royalty"...hehe I was wondering just WHO would RIM Royalty consist of??
    04-18-11 04:55 PM
    Umm........yea......ok.......
    04-18-11 05:04 PM
    Oops! I read the title of the thread wrong. I thought it read," RIM Royalty"...hehe I was wondering just WHO would RIM Royalty consist of??
    That would be anyone with more than 6,170 posts Sir Dave!
    04-18-11 06:59 PM
107 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD