07-15-11 06:11 AM
122 123 ...
tools
    BlackBerry-maker RIM lost more than 1 million users in the US in the three months to May, as Google's Android platform cemented its lead as the most-used smartphone platform there and Apple gained more than 3 million users, according to new statistics from market research company comScore
    RIM loses 1m BlackBerry users in US while Android and Apple boom | Technology | guardian.co.uk

That's quite a bit. I'm not sure if this is known or not but I surf here regularly and I have never heard this.
    07-06-11 11:26 AM
    No handsets for a year. what is there to discus.
    07-06-11 11:27 AM
    RIM loses 1m BlackBerry users in US while Android and Apple boom | Technology | guardian.co.uk

That's quite a bit. I'm not sure if this is known or not but I surf here regularly and I have never heard this.
    It has been mentioned, though not linked too,

RIM lost 1million in the US while gaining 6-8million globally over the same period.

RIM needs to release phones if they expect to have growth in the US market, if it isn't new it isn't selling
    07-06-11 11:29 AM
    No handsets for a year. what is there to discus.
    Quite a few people reached upgrade time, and wanted 'new'. This isn't surprising, I concur.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-11 11:31 AM
    RIM lost 1million in the US while gaining 6-8million globally over the same period.
    exactly, the USA isnt the world. admittedly yes they lost some US share, but then they havent brought out a `new` device since the 9780 or realisticly the 9670/9800. that should change soon hopefully
    07-06-11 11:33 AM
    I heard it's 1 million a second! (oh wait I thought this was the Liar Liar Pants on Fire thread!)
    Technerd.McLeod likes this.
    07-06-11 11:36 AM
    Wow, that's some fertile.....oh shoot, I thought this was the "what thought is on your mind" thread.....
    07-06-11 11:44 AM
    exactly, the USA is the world.
    fixed. If it wasn't the world, why are journalists from other countries freaking out about the loss of market share in the US?

While I agree, the US isn't the world and global growth is absolutely important, there is a lot of focus on the US market even in other countries. Clearly it's really important.
    blackberry-pimp likes this.
    07-06-11 11:50 AM
    doesn't suprise me to much
    07-06-11 11:51 AM

RIM needs to release phones if they expect to have growth in the US market, if it isn't new it isn't selling
    That's part of the problem. However, I think the wider US consumer market is moving away from the BB OS platform. Two years ago, the iPhone was only available on AT&T and Android was not yet available on either AT&T or Verizon. WebOS had just replaced PalmOS.

The new phones will appeal to RIM loyalists but they aren't going to arrest the decline.
    trsbbs likes this.
    07-06-11 11:54 AM

see iphone 4
    07-06-11 12:11 PM
    That's part of the problem. However, I think the wider US consumer market is moving away from the BB OS platform. Two years ago, the iPhone was only available on AT&T and Android was not yet available on either AT&T or Verizon. WebOS had just replaced PalmOS.

The new phones will appeal to RIM loyalists but they aren't going to arrest the decline.
    Well, that's where the new QNX phones come in. OS7 phones should help stop the bleeding of sales and customers, and it's hoped that QNX will help stem the declining market share.

07-06-11 12:22 PM
    The sky is falling the sky is falling!
    valorian and homer1475 like this.
    07-06-11 12:32 PM
    Yep I'm waiting on a new Blackberry to buy, but there aren't any! I'm sure a lot of people decided to give Android and Apple a spin since RIM couldn't deliver compelling products. Probably won't see many back till QNX phones are available.
    07-06-11 12:39 PM
    exactly, the USA isnt the world.
    that's debatable
    07-06-11 12:46 PM
    I can't wait for the new bold..my company doesn't want to issue 9650 to new employees if a new one is coming out soon
    07-06-11 01:01 PM
    fixed. If it wasn't the world, why are journalists from other countries freaking out about the loss of market share in the US?

While I agree, the US isn't the world and global growth is absolutely important, there is a lot of focus on the US market even in other countries. Clearly it's really important.
    that's debatable
    Americans really are naive about the rest of the real world....
    07-06-11 01:06 PM
    Well, that's where the new QNX phones come in. OS7 phones should help stop the bleeding of sales and customers, and it's hoped that QNX will help stem the declining market share.

That's certainly the plan but no one knows how compelling the QNX phones will be or what they will offer the consumer that an iPhone or Android device will not. The only thing we do know is that BB OS 7 is planned to be the last major release of the current OS.
    07-06-11 01:10 PM
    The sky is falling the sky is falling!
    You're in a mood today, darling!!!! Loving it!
    pkcable likes this.
    07-06-11 01:11 PM
    Americans really are naive about the rest of the real world....
    You have yet to address why journalists from other countries are focusing on the loss of market share in the US. Which is what I was focusing on in my post.

In terms of being the center of the world... It's interesting... everyone wants to get into our country and needs our help.... how is it that we aren't the most important country in the world?
    07-06-11 01:34 PM
    Guys, your political comments really have no place in this thread.

Getting back to the topic at hand, I agree with the assessments that this is directly related to RIM not releasing new phones in nearly a year. The cell phone market is about what's new and cutting edge. Few customers want last year's model.
    07-06-11 01:37 PM
    Guys, your political comments really have no place in this thread.

Getting back to the topic at hand, I agree with the assessments that this is directly related to RIM not releasing new phones in nearly a year. The cell phone market is about what's new and cutting edge. Few customers want last year's model.
    And now you have a Mod telling you also! Get back on track, or I will be forced to close the thread! Go to CNN, or Whitehouse.com or WHATEVER for the political talk. Here we talk about devices.
    07-06-11 01:58 PM
    And now you have a Mod telling you also! Get back on track, or I will be forced to close the thread! Go to CNN, or Whitehouse.com or WHATEVER for the political talk. Here we talk about devices.
    now PK, isnt that a naughty site?
    blue81to likes this.
    07-06-11 01:59 PM
    LOL! along time ago, Back in Middle School, a friend of mine made the same mistake, our class was in the computer lab and we were instructed to go to the WhiteHouse webpage. So my buddy went to the .com instead of the .gov and his computer was the one hooked up to the projector!

That was an awesome day...
    07-06-11 02:04 PM
    Domain holder site. I'm surprised the gov't don't take it! Obviously I meant whitehouse.gov. I think folks got my point though.
    07-06-11 02:15 PM
122 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD