I think it's partly the economic down fall, some people don't have the cash to pay monthly for a smartphone.......
    07-06-11 02:24 PM
    I think it's partly the economic down fall, some people don't have the cash to pay monthly for a smartphone.......
    I think the vast majority are consumers that just don't want what RIM has to offer, which isn't much. The consumer oriented Storm/Storm2 line was hardly a success, and with 3 or 4 "new" model numbers in the past year that are really just refreshes, they moved on.
    07-06-11 02:34 PM
    I think the vast majority are consumers that just don't want what RIM has to offer, which isn't much. The consumer oriented Storm/Storm2 line was hardly a success, and with 3 or 4 "new" model numbers in the past year that are really just refreshes, they moved on.
    I think there IS some interest in the coming models, BUT most of us are tired of waiting.
    07-06-11 02:42 PM
    If that's true, why are so many expensive iphones and android phones selling?

Clearly I love what they offer and the price is right for me.
    07-06-11 02:47 PM
    I think there IS some interest in the coming models, BUT most of us are tired of waiting.
    I would agree with that, but the new models that are coming weren't there for those who were due to upgrade in the last year. RIM is a little late to the game.
    07-06-11 02:51 PM
    I would agree with that, but the new models that are coming weren't there for those who were due to upgrade in the last year. RIM is a little late to the game.
    That is true. I am actually planning to wait until next year (especially since I will probably have LTE next year, and I also want to see about QNX). However, if I wanted to upgrade in May when I was eligible, I probably would have gone with an Android device, since I would have wanted the newest device if I would be needing to keep it for 2 years. The "new" BlackBerry in May 2011 would have been the 9800 on my carrier, and that would have been 9 months old back in May.
    07-06-11 02:58 PM
    That is true. I am actually planning to wait until next year (especially since I will probably have LTE next year, and I also want to see about QNX). However, if I wanted to upgrade in May when I was eligible, I probably would have gone with an Android device, since I would have wanted the newest device if I would be needing to keep it for 2 years. The "new" BlackBerry in May 2011 would have been the 9800 on my carrier, and that would have been 9 months old back in May.
    My upgrade date was Feb 17 2011, and if I wanted another BB my options were my current device 9650, my previous device 9550 or 9330. 9330 may have it's fans, but I'm way beyond the "entry-level model" stage.
    07-06-11 03:05 PM
    My upgrade date was Feb 17 2011, and if I wanted another BB my options were my current device 9650, my previous device 9550 or 9330. 9330 may have it's fans, but I'm way beyond the "entry-level model" stage.
    Likewise, if I did not want the 9800, my only other choice would have been the 9300, which is a downgrade from the 9700.
    07-06-11 03:08 PM
    Rant deleted! pk NO MORE POLITICS!!!!!! End of rant ....
    US is the important market because most people in US buy a high end locked phone for around $200(and pay $500 through their contract)and most people upgrade their phone every 2 year through contacts.

In comparison to US, people in India have to buy a unlocked phone for $200 and they don't upgrade their phone every 2 year.

Even though RIM shares are growing in the Emerging market, this share will not remain constant as people will buy Cheaper and better Android phones next time onwards.

Even though RIM sales are increasing their profit is not increasing due to lower valued phones being sold.

People should remember that Nokia was the King of the Emerging market and see where it is right now.

The analyst know that RIM as a company will fail if it doesn't grow in US, as emerging market are fickle groups.
    Last edited by pkcable; 07-06-11 at 03:38 PM. Reason: edited quote
    K Bear and kevinnugent like this.
    07-06-11 03:08 PM
    The analyst know that RIM as a company will fail if it doesn't grow in US, as emerging market are fickle groups.
    Wow are you joking? The US market is insanely fickle and spends more money being fickle...
    07-06-11 03:17 PM
    Wow are you joking? The US market is insanely fickle and spends more money being fickle...
    But atleast people in the US market buy high end phones, which are way more profitable than selling many low ends phones.

Nokia is the perfect example, where RIM is headed if it start losing US market share.
    07-06-11 03:23 PM
    Well, that's where the new QNX phones come in. OS7 phones should help stop the bleeding of sales and customers, and it's hoped that QNX will help stem the declining market share.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    With the first debut of QNX OS from RIM being on the PlayBook all eyes are on it to see what RIM can do with the new OS.

While it is good and solid it is lacking in vital areas as we all know.

This could and probably will foretell how RIM will handle the QNX release
    on their future phones in the customers and reviewers eyes/minds.

They need to get the PB platform completed and working in all aspects
    and then take what they have learned and put it toward the QNX phones.

Then someone needs to walk into RIM and take that gun away from them,
    you know, the one they keep shooting themselves in the foot with!

Tim
    07-06-11 03:32 PM
    But atleast people in the US market buy high end phones, which are way more profitable than selling many low ends phones.

Nokia is the perfect example, where RIM is headed if it start losing US market share.
    RIM is already loosing US market share. It does one major advantage over Nokia though, BES. Though the cost of BES will probably lead to loss of corporate market share, a BES connected Blackberry gives an IT dept a level of control over its corporate devices and email infrastucture that no other smartphone can. A Nokia smartphone OTOH is pretty awful as an email device.

Some companies now only issue BBs to senior execs and everyone else has to either use something company that connects to EAS (e.g. Accenture) or bring their own device and connect that. RIM could end up with two very different sets of core customers, senior execs of large corporations and a large number of people in the developing world using them as a low cost messaging device.
    07-06-11 03:42 PM
    OK, did anyone not get the memo? Take the politics to another forum, CrackBerry.com is about devices AND we are family friendly which, let's face it, politics AIN'T!
    ADGrant likes this.
    07-06-11 03:43 PM
    Well, it looks like they made those 1 million back in EMA in under 3 weeks. Not bad no?

07-07-11 12:28 PM
    Yeah that is great for them and I don't think anyone is disputing their global growth. I think the reason people are freaking out is because they are losing the US.
    07-07-11 12:54 PM
    The US market, although crucial, is not the whole story of a company's solvency.

07-07-11 12:59 PM
    A company is either global or it's not. It's normal to sell where the demand is.

07-07-11 01:01 PM
    So how are the sales in Western Europe going?
    07-07-11 01:06 PM
    So how are the sales in Western Europe going?
    Western Europe is part of that EMA 1 million in under 3 weeks.
    BB was the best selling phone last Christmas in UK
    07-07-11 01:08 PM
    Western Europe is part of that EMA 1 million in under 3 weeks.
    BB was the best selling phone last Christmas in UK
    EMA is really many distinct markets. 1 million in 3 weeks doesn't tell me anything about how things are going in Western Europe. Sounds like things are going great for RIM in the UK though.
    07-07-11 01:17 PM
    EMA is really many distinct markets. 1 million in 3 weeks doesn't tell me anything about how things are going in Western Europe. Sounds like things are going great for RIM in the UK though.
    Bare in mind the 1 million are new subscribers, not existing ones upgrading phones.

07-07-11 01:20 PM
    At what price point? What devices? If they are pushing last generation OS 4/5 devices at a break point or below, than there's not much good news here. Older curves and bolds line the streets of the developing world. BBs are a very cheap alternative to older IOS and Android devices.
    07-07-11 01:35 PM
    At what price point? What devices? If they are pushing last generation OS 4/5 devices at a break point or below, than there's not much good news here. Older curves and bolds line the streets of the developing world. BBs are a very cheap alternative to older IOS and Android devices.
    Well you have to remember that each new subscriber the carrier has to pay RIM a monthly fee, think its $5. So 1 million new subscribers equals $5 million per month in new revenue, or $60 million per year. RIM is making money even selling the old junk. And I would venture that the cost from RIM to make those older devices is probably extremely cheap so they are making money on the phones too.
    07-07-11 01:41 PM
    Does it matter? Are you worried that some people like to save money or about Rim's profits? There are plenty cheap Android devices on the market by the way, not everybody buys the high end ones.

07-07-11 01:42 PM
122 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD