So you'll buy any product that comes out, no matter how terrible, incomplete or unsupported as long as it has a blackberry logo on it? Good to know. And we call Apple users sheep.

And don't worry, you're about to see what happens when "if you don't like it don't buy it" gets taken to its logical conclusion. Hint: it looks a lot like two more quarters of declining sales, reduced market share and freefalling stock price.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    There will be die hard fans for Blackberry I'm sure he's not the only one. But it's the majority of consumers that counts for RIM. The future of RIM now becomes very dark and the direction they are going makes a lot of current customers wonder if they should stay with Blackberry.

This really broke my heart. As a Canadian who lives in Waterloo, this will have a huge impact on the local economy.
    06-29-12 07:31 AM
    I feel very sad for 1st, RIM employees and thier families, who many still may face lay offs because of this delay, 2nd, The great people of Canada, Who to them, RIM is obiviously a pride of Canadian technology (Being born & raised in Detroit, Motor City, home of the big three auto companies, and seeing thru my lifetime, the good and terrible times of a once proud gem of Detroit suffering) and 3rd, My buddies over at The BlackBerry Store in Farmington Hills, MI. A great staff of salespeople, whom now they have to hang on and try pushing the OS 7 devices and pray they won't close shop before Q1 2013. And lastly, of course, US! the consumers who've had loyalty in the face of ridicule and bemusement from Apple & Android users who mock us and make fun of our still owning a BlackBerry ("Damn! They even still make BlackBerrys'?" mocked a fellow employee at my company last October) For me, the delay really isn't an issue (My upgrade isn't due from Sprint until June 2013, So by then, HOPEFULLY? I will be able to try out the OS10 N-Series full size qwerty keyboard device and make my decision then) With RIMM stock at an all-time low, company moral surely in a quantry, and consumer confidence at a low point, I can't or won't kick a company when they're this far down. Yes I have been VERY opinionated and critical of RIM, but It's called "Tough Love" For all the above mentioned I sincerly hope things have a brighter outlook come April/May/June of 2013.
    +1 to you man. I've been to that store in Farmington Hills, mi recently.... Man is it depressing in there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    leftypepper716 likes this.
    06-29-12 07:36 AM
    Well... if RIM is going to do this, (lets face it the "Lets Rock and Roll this" ship has sailed) Rim had better: Get to the bottom of the snafu(s) STAT. Hire on some engineers that can code, and code very well. Quit being nice. Throw (whats left of) your weight around (patents protection & infringement).

Mostly I don't understand how there was mock ups of the OS built to fool everyone instead of just getting nose down, @ss up. If you were stuck at a certain point in the build, bring in more/different talent for a fresh look, everyone knows the old sayings, more eyes, a fresh opinion, a different angle, if you will. I am, and will continue to be a supporter of RIM, Damn it though, the time for tough love inside the company was 6-8 months ago.

To me, RIM right now has the "feel" of - putting everything in their company into making one thing right, but by the time it gets "done right" they have to pack it in. Maybe that was a movie?

Now, instead of throwing a BB10 "hail mary" from the end zone, RIM is effectively trying to throw the "long bomb" from out in the parking lot.

No, I don't need a new phone, my 9860 still works pretty damn good, my wife's, and daughters, phones too. Not yet, but I, along with countless others were holding on, to what seems like "what could have been". If, I hate to say it like that, but if RIM gets there, I will buy BB10.

meh....

Good Luck RIM
    06-29-12 07:39 AM
    I was actually considering the BB10 phone this fall as an upgrade and ditch the iPhone. But depending on what is released this fall from Apple and M$, I will likely not wait until Qx, 201y when BB10 comes out. Would be hard to buy BB10 anyway given they are walking the plank. It's like the GM fiasco...how many people were rushing out to buy a GM product when they were bellying up? Not many until after the government bailout when they were somewhat back on 2 feet. The difference with RIM is no government bailout. They are not big enough nor a fixture in the global marketplace as GM is.

And with BYOD becoming the way with corporations, that will not help RIM at all unless they target the consumer market, help enterprises support BYOD with multiple device support and really get Balance out there while enterprises still have BES. Apple products are making headway into corporations with such apps as Good Technologies that make checking work email and calendar a breeze while keeping is separately secured. People who I know have Good with the iPad for example love it over the BB.

RIM needs to spend money to make money. They should be throwing everything they have at BB10 to release ASAP. And maybe they are....who knows.

So now BB10 for the PB will not come out until Q2 2013? That is a year away.
    06-29-12 07:39 AM
    To stay or not to stay? That is the question.
    06-29-12 08:21 AM
    Honestly there aren't many good reasons to stay with RIM at this point. It's funny that the company itself acknowledges that bb7 phones are not competitive, but it's still trying to push them out to people for another 9 months.

If you're a contract person who's going to be committed to your next phone for at least a year (maybe more if your carrier has lame hardware upgrade policies) then why would you want to be stuck with a device that it's own makers acknowledge can't compete?

Even if you buy unlocked and are willing to purchase 2 new phones in the next year, you might be tempted to wander elsewhere while waiting.

Keep in mind that BB10 was announced in what - 2010? And it's coming out in 2013 if at all. That's ridiculous. And who's to say they won't push it back again with the same excuses? And we'll still be making excuses for them too, saying it's better to release late than unfinished.

But guess what? That's a false choice. Are we honestly saying it's too much to ask for both? Everyone else manages to release their stuff on time with all the advertised features, why not RIM?

So why stick around? What makes this Q1 2013 deadline any more solid than Q4 2012 or early 2012? What's to keep the same excuse "it's harder than we expected, and we want to get it perfect" from popping up again and again?

I understand that what they're doing is difficult, but no one told them it wouldn't be. No one forced them to choose bb10 as their plan A, they selected it, promised it, advertised it and now it's time to deliver.

diego.roscetti and HeezyBear like this.
    06-29-12 08:39 AM
    Look, I get the disappointment, but let's get real here...

The BB10 release is getting pushed back one quarter. Since the "latter half of 2012" date was set late last year, it's not completely out of the question that it would be pushed back.

The company is still selling phones (and will now likely discount handsets on OS7 to move more of them), they'll continue to sign up subscribers. Subscriber base is still growing.

Still building cash.

All considered, a struggling company, but there are still options.
    The problem is that the quarter that they are missing is a huge one....especially for a struggling company like them. School and Christmas season is huge. Missing those will be big!!!
    06-29-12 08:50 AM
    ROFL,good one
    06-29-12 08:53 AM
    To stay or not to stay? That is the question.
    Would you ask someone on the Titanic that question?

The answer is pretty obvious.
    06-29-12 08:54 AM
    Honestly there aren't many good reasons to stay with RIM at this point. It's funny that the company itself acknowledges that bb7 phones are not competitive, but it's still trying to push them out to people for another 9 months.

If you're a contract person who's going to be committed to your next phone for at least a year (maybe more if your carrier has lame hardware upgrade policies) then why would you want to be stuck with a device that it's own makers acknowledge can't compete?

Even if you buy unlocked and are willing to purchase 2 new phones in the next year, you might be tempted to wander elsewhere while waiting.

Keep in mind that BB10 was announced in what - 2010? And it's coming out in 2013 if at all. That's ridiculous. And who's to say they won't push it back again with the same excuses? And we'll still be making excuses for them too, saying it's better to release late than unfinished.

But guess what? That's a false choice. Are we honestly saying it's too much to ask for both? Everyone else manages to release their stuff on time with all the advertised features, why not RIM?

So why stick around? What makes this Q1 2013 deadline any more solid than Q4 2012 or early 2012? What's to keep the same excuse "it's harder than we expected, and we want to get it perfect" from popping up again and again?

I understand that what they're doing is difficult, but no one told them it wouldn't be. No one forced them to choose bb10 as their plan A, they selected it, promised it, advertised it and now it's time to deliver.

The thing we have to remember is that Apple went through a 3 year period as well with the same transition.

The biggest difference is this:

- Everything RIM does is done through a huge microscope. Their every move is analyzed and killed to death.
    - There we no broken promises during Apple's transition.

I think that is what hurts the most...the borken promises...AGAIN. This was supposed to be a time when RIM turns it around post Mike and JIM, with Heins. Alas, the same results.

Come on guys.......there are not too many more chances to delay products. Pretty soon there will be no more products to be able to delay.
    06-29-12 08:55 AM
    I see a lot of comparisons with Apple's earlier woes and transition to greatness, but think the analogy is unfair.

Apple was a computer company first and foremost at the time of their transition, and it was the introduction of their iPod and very smart move to do everything through iTunes shortly thereafter that rescued them (since their computers couldn't really dent the PC market at the time). MP3 players were very new, and the iPod made a big splash into that market, offering simplicity.

RIM is primarily a smartphone maker.
    shemaree09 and Yaceka like this.
    06-29-12 08:59 AM
    Ummm...perhaps the title of this thread should be updated. Stock price is now down 15%.
    06-29-12 09:00 AM
    +1 to you man. I've been to that store in Farmington Hills, mi recently.... Man is it depressing in there.

I feel you. And Nathan and all the good people who work there, and love selling BlackBerrys (Farmington Hills is a NW Suburb of Detroit, and I'm sure they cater to an upscale clientle, Business people, Upper Income customers...etc.) They enjoy what they do, and thier customer service is above and beyound any chain stores (Best Buy, Walmart and even Carrier stores) I have never had any problems with them, and they really do want the best for thier customer's in satisfaction, So for all the gang at The BlackBerry Store in Farmington Hills, MI 31380 Orchard Lake Rd, Farmington Hls, MI 48334
    Just south of 14 Mile Rd. If you want a BlackBerry, GO THERE! If you want to support and believe in RIM/BlackBerry right now, it starts at stores like this. Take that Bold 9650 and get a Sprint Bold 9930...what do you have to lose? you'll have at least a year to enjoy a new OS7 and upgrade to a OS10. Also, The BlackBerry Store carries EVERY current device (T-Mobile not included) so it really is, a "One stop, BlackBerry store"
    OniBerry likes this.
    06-29-12 09:01 AM
    The thing we have to remember is that Apple went through a 3 year period as well with the same transition.

The biggest difference is this:

- Everything RIM does is done through a huge microscope. Their every move is analyzed and killed to death.
    - There we no broken promises during Apple's transition.
    I'm assuming you are talking about 1997-2000 Apple. Actually that transition was invisible to the consumer. Jobs introduced the iMac in 1998 and it was a huge hit. OSX came out in 2001 and thanks to OS Classic, users were able to run both OS's at the same time. Even the 1998 iMacs could run OSX. Then there was a little thing called iTunes/iPod in 2001.

RIM is selling hardware today that won't run tonorrows software. Huge difference.
    06-29-12 09:11 AM
    I'm not disappointed because I'm a consumer who supports research in motion. I bought this 9900 because I support them. When the next one comes out, I'll buy that too, and use it. The 9900 will be the backup blackberry should anything happen to the new one. I'm a very very patient man when it comes to technology or anything being released. I'm not hyped up, I may get real excited allot, but I'll calm down and know for real, that time is money, and it takes time to develop, perfect and ensure that software works with the hardware, that it's not glitched or buggy.

So yeah, RIM doesn't look like they're in trouble at all. People just need to relax and trolls need to lay off supporters and loyal users/abusers alike.

If you don't like it, don't buy or use it. Buy don't bother others if they like what you don't.
    You should let denial be a river in Africa.
    06-29-12 09:51 AM
    Ummm...perhaps the title of this thread should be updated. Stock price is now down 15%.
    Yeah, it is going to be really depressing to watch this all day:

-1.79 (-19.59%)
    Real-time: 11:25AM EDT

Research In Motion Limited (USA): NASDAQ:RIMM quotes & news - Google Finance
    06-29-12 10:30 AM
    This is beyound sad. June 16, 2008: $144.56 a share June 29. 2012 : $7.50 a share. Possible that it may even go under $5.50 a share within a week. I'm still hoping RIM can hold thru this financial storm, and get back to some smeblis in 1Q of 2013. Not looking good right now.
    06-29-12 11:01 AM
    The Canadian government has to give its approval. Not that simple.
    Canada government wishes RIM well, won't speculate on takeover | Reuters
    You don't think they'd approve it? Would they rather see the alternative?

Regardless there would have to be a viable buyer, I don't see a contender at the moment. Most people speculate Microsoft or Facebook. Neither will happen. If Microsoft want to build devices they'll buy Nokia and have the head start Nokia have already build. Facebook shareholders are already beaten down and will view RIM as a loss leader so that won't happen either. Why buy a company that's commonly viewed to be failing.
    Last edited by xandermac; 06-29-12 at 02:45 PM.
    06-29-12 02:41 PM
    You may be right they may be positioning for acquisition.
    Not unlike a sex worker that gets herself into position.

I just hope RIM continues to make the actual hardware because there is nothing out there IMHO....
    ...That even comes close to the build quality of a blackberry!
    ...And damnit! I want my password safe and the rest of the UI to be just like it is on my 9930!
    06-29-12 11:00 PM
194 ... 678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD