Today I spoke with someone at RIM who confirmed developers should change their current app icons. It looks like they've been listening to us and they are dropping the size from 150 x 150 px down to 114 x 114 px. So for many of you who complained about the "ugly" square icons, they will be going away.

Now RIM is focusing on app icons based on silhouette to differentiate the icons from others. I imagine they will be closer to what the PlayBook has. Expect to see this officially documented VERY soon.

Update: Here are the official guidelines. Unfortunately, there aren't any example images but they will provide them soon.

https://developer.blackberry.com/dev...ion_icons.html

Update #2: Since the new ui guidelines point to smaller and more silhouette shaped icons, we can assume the forced square look is disappearing. I quickly mocked up what we might expect it to turn into. Basically, it should more closely resemble the PlayBook UI. I think that's a good thing. I didn't tweak the text labels as much, but I'd expect a bit of a drop shadow and slightly larger text than I've shown for legibility with light backgrounds. The PlayBook has a dark background behind the wallpaper, where the apps are which helps too. Of course the current BB10 apps have the dark, translucent label backdrop for the text too. So it'll be interesting to see where they go ther

Update #3: Here is one more just to add some drop shadow effects to the icons and text with an added Bokeh wallpaper too.
    Update #4: Increased text label size on new version to be closer to current BB10 text.
    Update #5: Both looks now have the same wallpaper to keep a fair comparison.
    Update #6: Added current smaller "square" styled icons as requested.

Scaled to 75% of actual size. These are my renderings and may not accurately represent the official interface design. Check https://developer.blackberry.com/dev...ion_icons.html soon where RIM will OFFICIALLY show some visuals.
    Attached Thumbnails RIM is listening - app grid icons have changed-new4.jpg   RIM is listening - app grid icons have changed-old2.jpg   RIM is listening - app grid icons have changed-new5.jpg  
    Last edited by UrbanGlowCam; 11-04-12 at 12:49 PM.
    11-01-12 04:12 PM
    Your wish, is their command.
    11-01-12 04:16 PM
    thats awesome cant wait to see what it looks like. I was fine with current ones but it seemed like it didnt do the OS justice. The OS looks so polished and the icons were just ok.
    Paulrobs7 likes this.
    11-01-12 04:17 PM
    This sounds like good news to me. Here is why: I feel that if RIM is focusing on a subtle change like the size of the app icons, then a lot of the big/major stuff must be done or nearing completion. When constructing a room, why would you be worried about installing carpet when the drywall hasn't been installed, mudded, sanded, and painted yet?

RIM making, what I think is, a small change is good news over all. But, I'm not a developer. Maybe the devs have a different opinion.

Sent from my Magical BlackBerry Bold 9900
    11-01-12 04:24 PM
    This sounds like good news to me. Here is why: I feel that if RIM is focusing on a subtle change like the size of the app icons, then a lot of the big/major stuff must be done or nearing completion. When constructing a room, why would you be worried about installing carpet when the drywall hasn't been installed, mudded, sanded, and painted yet?

RIM making, what I think is, a small change is good news over all. But, I'm not a developer. Maybe the devs have a different opinion.

Sent from my Magical BlackBerry Bold 9900
    I agree with you completely. It also show that RIM is showing attention to details no matter how small it might seem.
    RicZoh likes this.
    11-01-12 04:40 PM
    I dont see how making the icons smaller makes them any uglier or prettier. They are just a different size of ugly or beautiful. Also OS 6 and below had silhouette icons and they do not hold up well anymore.
    11-01-12 04:56 PM

I agree. They're close to launch. I updated my OP to show the official link to the new guidelines.

I dont see how making the icons smaller makes them any uglier or prettier. They are just a different size of ugly or beautiful.
    It's more than that. They won't be restricted to just a square anymore among other traits the new guidelines follow.
    11-01-12 04:57 PM
    I agree with you completely. It also show that RIM is showing attention to details no matter how small it might seem.
    The devil is in the detail, and RIM has that completely under control as described by the OP! It's looking very good
    Paulrobs7 likes this.
    11-01-12 05:01 PM
    so are they doing 5 rows instead of 4 now with the added space they gain back?
    gjohnsto, HUNTZODIAC and 00stryder like this.
    11-01-12 05:11 PM
    It does sound pretty trivial . . .I guess they are really getting really close to a finished product. . . They must really want to release with a perfect product. . .
    11-01-12 05:26 PM
    so are they doing 5 rows instead of 4 now with the added space they gain back?
    It's not much space
    11-01-12 05:37 PM
    An extra row of icons would be the most amazing feature ever!!

Seriously though, I had a feeling cosmetic changes like this were on the way, but only in the form of replacing some of the obvious placeholder icons (like the SMS one).
    11-01-12 06:02 PM
    It's not much space
    144 px in savings is another full row of icons and padding...
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    11-01-12 06:15 PM
    144 px in savings is another full row of icons and padding...
    How exactly did you arrive at that number?
    11-01-12 07:29 PM
    dropping the size from 150 x 150 px down to 114 x 114 px

150 - 114 x 4(rows) = 144 pixel saved which is good enough for an additional row
    11-01-12 07:33 PM
    currently they have 150x150 according to cam. They are going to 114x114. you have 4x4 grid of icons so if you shrink the 4 rows down you now have 456 total pixels used by the icons instead of 600 pixels you had before. Thus you save 144 pixels from the smaller icons.

edit...im too slow lol

You also have to remember the "label" for each icon is not included in the 114 but you should still have plenty of room for 5 rows and labels now
    11-01-12 07:34 PM
    He took the difference between the old icons at 150x150px and the new ones at 114x114px and added them. So over one dimension, let's say width, you will gain 150 - 114 = 36 for each new icon. So times that by 4 (since it's a 4-column icon grid) and you get 36 x 4 = 144.

So basically, you have 312 pixels of padding between all icons with the width being 768px (in portrait). But keep in mind, future touchscreen BlackBerrys will be 720px, so this will decrease. I should do some mockups of how it would appear with a 5 or 4 column grid..
    11-01-12 07:34 PM
    He took the difference between the old icons at 150x150px and the new ones at 114x114px and added them. So over one dimension, let's say width, you will gain 150 - 114 = 36 for each new icon. So times that by 4 (since it's a 4-column icon grid) and you get 36 x 4 = 144.

So basically, you have 312 pixels of padding between all icons with the width being 768px (in portrait). But keep in mind, future touchscreen BlackBerrys will be 720px, so this will decrease. I should do some mockups of how it would appear with a 5 or 4 column grid..
    i was getting ready to whip out paint also but i will let you since im at work lol
    11-01-12 07:38 PM
    Oh I see. You guys were talking about the linear measurement across the width of the icons and screen.
    11-01-12 07:43 PM
    i was getting ready to whip out paint also but i will let you since im at work lol
    Saw that tweet. Looks like it's gonna be a long day for you! I got this..lol

But yeah, on top of the future 1280x720px handsets, the qwerty at 720x720px needs to be put into consideration as well, since it's releasing shortly after the first touchscreen. I have a feeling they'll keep the same 4 column grid to keep it consistent. I know Android has up to 5 columns now. But I think their icons might be a bit smaller.

My personal preference would be for the 4 column as it's less cluttered and leaves some breathing room.
    aragone79 likes this.
    11-01-12 07:45 PM
    dropping the size from 150 x 150 px down to 114 x 114 px

150 - 114 x 4(rows) = 144 pixel saved which is good enough for an additional row
    Actually, the pixel count is about half. Way more than 144 pixels.
    11-01-12 07:49 PM
    im just talking about ROWS btw, i would hope they just leave 4 COLUMNS but its hard to say without seeing in mocked up
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    11-01-12 07:52 PM
    I noticed you guys were talking rows and not columns. I guess the same idea applies, as you get the same amount of pixels more each way. Basically, they could keep the current 4x4 or possibly squeeze in another row for 4x5, add another column for 5x4, or add both for a 5x5 grid. We'll see soon I'm sure.

Actually, the pixel count is about half. Way more than 144 pixels.
    I think he was referring to the amount of pixels saved vs. the old format, not the amount of free pixels altogether.
    11-01-12 07:55 PM
    So according to my calculations, this should result in 15.4% more screen real estate (16.5% with 720 resolution), without taking into account the name plates and other graphical fixtures. That's a nice, healthy chunk.
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    11-01-12 07:58 PM
    @Urban - Yeah, I agree with the four column look for my apps, but my desktop has 5 (makes it easier to center and place widgets and arrange the look of the screens. Not sure if app icons are shrunk cause I don't have any on my desktop, but widgets can be resized. I think I can get up to 8 columns), Easier to get a minimalist look and feel as well. Great thing about most launchers is you can have both.

If BB10 is going to be a grid page or pages, then 4 columns would make it less cluttered. It's going to be interesting to see the final layout of both devices, and how they look.
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    11-01-12 08:00 PM
112 123 ...