Cisco Said to Hire Barclays to Sell Linksys Division - Bloomberg

It would be interesting if RIM was to purchase Linksys. This would give them an assets and experience in consumer networking products. This matchup could be beneficial for expanding their ecosystem. They could help with building home routers leading to a presence in smart homes. I would like to see RIM move into this space. Also, due to the low margins and growth potential within the space they should be able to get the company for a good price and leverage it to make a presence in our homes.
    12-19-12 06:56 PM
    RIM bought Paratek a while ago.

They don't need to waste cash on an acquisition that won't contribute to BlackBerry 10 and beyond.
    Jake Storm and bluetroll like this.
    12-19-12 07:04 PM
    1. RIM has enough to do.
    2. Linksys makes some terrible products.
    12-19-12 07:43 PM
    1. RIM has enough to do.
    2. Linksys makes some terrible products.
    I'll agree with #1, disagree with #2. At least in my case. How many others here have a 8-10 year old wifi router that still works like it just came out of the box?
    MADBRADNYC, GTiLeo and KDB84 like this.
    12-19-12 07:48 PM
    RIM has no money to do this. LOL
    12-19-12 08:01 PM
    They already have a strong relationship with them. Cisco which owns Linksys and is selling it, has been using QNX for a while. It's the OS that is embedded in the Cisco routers and switches that run the Internet.
    12-19-12 08:02 PM
    I'll agree with #1, disagree with #2. At least in my case. How many others here have a 8-10 year old wifi router that still works like it just came out of the box?
    I have to say that my older WRT54G still works great and better than my newer router. Which is also a Linksys.
    12-19-12 10:15 PM
    sorry. I have owned plenty of linksys routers over the years. the low end ones in particular tend to have issues with dhcp -- with one model in particular being faulty in this regard (can't remember the model though I had to trash two). with linksys stock firmware I am saying. I also use a linksys "cisco" vpn router that has been flawless. not all their products are bad. that's why I said some.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    12-20-12 02:09 AM
    I do! ! ! !
    . . .
    It's also a Linksys lol
    12-20-12 11:37 AM
    What benefit would owning a BB router have exactly? Patents? Cisco just recently bought them so I don't think its a worth while company to buy tbh.

edit -> lol time flies. I couldn't remember when Cico bought them so I looked it up 2003 but my point is branding aside, what product would emerge from this?
    12-20-12 11:47 AM
    they own the iPhone name still i believe. despite what crapple fans may have you believe.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    12-20-12 12:45 PM
    What benefit would owning a BB router have exactly? Patents? Cisco just recently bought them so I don't think its a worth while company to buy tbh.

edit -> lol time flies. I couldn't remember when Cico bought them so I looked it up 2003 but my point is branding aside, what product would emerge from this?
    BIS-ready router for home appliance devices powered by BB10. jk..eventually consumers will need a MDM or M2M solution for home especially if the devices can interact with each other.
    12-20-12 12:50 PM
    The proposition looks to be solid imho. RIM's network solidified with Linksys or vice versa could very well power quite a few things in Thor's vision. Add to the mix RIM's legendary security. Look at it this way, Thor has spoke about the time when we use our mobile devices instead of PCs, Linksys' acquisition will provide the M2M capability. Just like SaaS, you also have PaaS, platform as a service in the next few years.
    12-20-12 01:05 PM
    BIS-ready router for home appliance devices powered by BB10. jk..eventually consumers will need a MDM or M2M solution for home especially if the devices can interact with each other.
    Have you seen the thread BBM Desktop? You're right imo we need a home equivalent of a BES. Not sure we need a router but you may be onto something with BES in a router.
    12-20-12 02:38 PM
    Doesn't seem like this would be a strategic fit. Under this logic, RIM should buy up carriers so they can control mobile connectivity too.
    12-20-12 02:47 PM
    Even though I would like to see them make a BB10 based Family BES Router, Linksys in my experience are garbage, both pre and post Cisco. i'd never buy another one of their products. My guess is that QNX has learned enough routing expertise via working with Cisco on the big routers that they could make a small router appliance without needing Linksys' "expertise".
    12-20-12 03:21 PM
    WRT54GL X 2 and still working.

Use them for my parents work and home. Very stable routers that doesn't need rebooting.

Virtually maintenance free.
    12-20-12 04:47 PM
    WRT54GL X 2 and still working.

Use them for my parents work and home. Very stable routers that doesn't need rebooting.

Virtually maintenance free.
    I had early WRT54 back in 2004 or 2005 and it required constant rebooting, even using a Linksys card in the laptop. Switched to another Linksys Router and fixed the issues with those cards, but other devices didn't work and Linksys said it was a known issue and they weren't going to fix it. Switched to Netgear and no problems. Switched to Apple Airport Extreme and Express devices using WDS and works phenomenal. Parents had a 2010 Linksys that was flaking out and wouldn't hold a connection either, had them switch to a Netgear and no issues. We had some Linksys routers at work that could use Sprint Aircards and they would constantly flake out and hand out the public IP addresses to the private side DHCP devices and need rebooting. Glad they work for you, but in my 15 years of network experience they are the most troublesome devices I have worked with.
    12-20-12 07:26 PM