That's huge money. compares to Microsoft W8 campaign !

RIM Investing $1 Billion Dollars into the Launch of BlackBerry 10 | NerdBerry.net
    Microsoft has been spending 1 Billion dollars on their advertising campaign but much of their campaign is just showing off Windows 8 as a ‘cool product’ it does not educate the users about Windows 8 nor explain how its any better than previous software. In an interview with CNBC, RIM CEO goes on record saying that RIM is investing around $1 billion dollars into the launch of Blackberry10, a third of their total cash position. Expect a campaign to rival that of Windows 8 which we’ve seen everywhere of late. The CMO has a solid marketing strategy and it will likely do a much better job at explaining the benefits of BB10 not just showing it off as ‘cool.’ Video excerpts after the break

“You guys went from having 600 million cash at hand to 2.9 Billion dollars cash at hand. The expectation is that, that will be spent in large part on marketing. Can you give us us a sense of what that will look like in a quarter of two from now?” CNBC Correspondent to Thorsten Heins.
    “We will be investing into the launch of BlackBerry 10. We will provide a very strong marketing and launch campaign together with our carrier partners, we look forward to building the product in the millions, which will require us to invest in inventory. So yes you will see the cash position going down in the Q4, Q1 period. However I do not expect that position to fall below a number of about 2 billion” Thorsten Heins
    Edited : please read bellow author's precisions you might find later in this thread. Misreading may be involved by my approximative original W8 comparison subtitle.
    I wrote the headline very carefully. They are not spending 1 billion in marketing they are spending it on the launch. Which includes buying inventory, educating sales personnel, renting venues, various ad campaigns which include TV ads, print media, web etc. All in all RIM is taking it very seriously. Dropping a third of their cash position to put BB10 in the spotlight. Microsoft may have more $$$ but they've sqandered it on bad ads even when the consuker goes intonthe store they've no idea how to use Windows 8. RIM does indeed need to be smart about how they spend that billon, and I believe they are not putting all of it into one basket. They've got a strategy. Good advertising campaigns don't need hundreds of millions. Groundswell grass root campaigns, the likes of which have us excited and discussing and sharing our BB10 knowledge are cheaper and more effective. Their billion dollar launch fund is to get us talking, telling and showing.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-01-13 at 11:21 AM.
    12-31-12 12:37 PM
    that's a good start
    Qmax and big_time2 like this.
    12-31-12 12:40 PM
    that is ALOT of money and hopefully they get it back in sales
    Blacklatino and big_time2 like this.
    12-31-12 12:53 PM
    Te salute, signore Heins!
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    12-31-12 12:58 PM
    Marketing is key. I hope they nail it.

WP8 commercials suck, especially the one with Andy Samberg. That commercial in particular makes me NOT want one.
    12-31-12 01:00 PM
    Interesting to see which direction they take the marketing in. The way I see it, if I start to see more and more adverts whether it's through TV or the Internet, it's a good start. Billboards, too.
    12-31-12 01:05 PM
    because their reputation is like a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10, they will need to do a lot of marketing. I can't wait to see the advertisements and watch my non-bb friends say positive things about bb. It'll be fun.
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    12-31-12 01:10 PM
    Heins also said that a lot of the Carriers will be spending their own money to advertise BB10. That counts for A LOT as it gives local exposure that RIM can't possibly reach alone.

Additionally, it's worth noting that Heins said they expect to spend $900M bringing BB10 to market. That includes the production of BB10 units, so not all $1B will go to marketing.
    12-31-12 01:11 PM
    Good news.....good news indeed. It'll be a nice change to actually see BB commercials
    12-31-12 01:11 PM
    That's what I like to hear! Make it or break it RIM!!
    DJM626 likes this.
    12-31-12 01:16 PM
    Marketing is key. I hope they nail it.

WP8 commercials suck, especially the one with Andy Samberg. That commercial in particular makes me NOT want one.
    The ads are unique and quirky. . .eye catching at the very least. . .I' mjust glad I don't have Frank Boulben's job. . .I wouldn't know where the **** to start. . .lol
    12-31-12 01:16 PM
    No shock here..... RIM will need to break the bank to truly knock the launch out of the park.

Glad to hear they are all in!!
    12-31-12 01:19 PM
    this is good news. i expect to see BB10 ads everywhere in the coming months.
    12-31-12 01:30 PM
    Noticed one of the new T-Mo commercials has a 9900 at the end of the spot, in a group photo. Spot features other phones, but 9900 shows up on far right at the end. 1st time I've seen a BB on a tv ad in seems like a year.
    Anon_M_Lee likes this.
    12-31-12 01:36 PM
    Will be nice to see more!
    12-31-12 01:37 PM
    rims main goal will be to educate and inform customers about bb10 and how it will make their lives easier.

marketing covers so much that 1 billion is not hard to reach. from building supply chains to getting the product in end consumers hands and even seeding devices with tech bloggers and journalists.

I've been watching the windows 8 and thet are terrible. they don't show the end consumer how the live tiles make life better for them. I think their goal so far is to change the consumer perception of windows 8 into a young, hip, fun brand. in terms of educating about the product, its quite sad.

rim has already been working hard at marketing. all those positive reviews of bb10 from tech blogs and journals are part of frank boulbens bb10 marketing strategy.
    12-31-12 01:37 PM
    Let's hope for a well-placed, kick-a$$ Superbowl commercial...
    I got a good feeling about Monsieur Boulben...
    #BB10Believe
    00stryder, dakid72, Jince and 1 others like this.
    12-31-12 01:38 PM
    The reason Microsoft is only showing it off as "cool" is because that's all it is, nothing much to show.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    travaz and David in Durham like this.
    12-31-12 01:41 PM
    Does this mean we will actually see BlackBerry10 ads on Tv here in North America? That would be great! People in the U.S need to know that BlackBerry is not only alive but they are back in a big way!! (que acdc back in black)
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    12-31-12 01:47 PM
    That takes balls for a company in the financial position RIM is in to throw that kind of cash on a launch.

It's obvious RIM knows it's all or nothing for them now. Go big or go home.

This is definitely the approach to take, but for their sake I hope they spend that money wisely and very efficiently. They can't afford to waste money on bad marketing.
    Caymancroc likes this.
    12-31-12 01:52 PM
    rims main goal will be to educate and inform customers about bb10 and how it will make their lives easier.

marketing covers so much that 1 billion is not hard to reach. from building supply chains to getting the product in end consumers hands and even seeding devices with tech bloggers and journalists.

I've been watching the windows 8 and thet are terrible. they don't show the end consumer how the live tiles make life better for them. I think their goal so far is to change the consumer perception of windows 8 into a young, hip, fun brand. in terms of educating about the product, its quite sad.

rim has already been working hard at marketing. all those positive reviews of bb10 from tech blogs and journals are part of frank boulbens bb10 marketing strategy.
    My thoughts exactly. Giving people a sense of the experience is hugely important for a platform so different from iOS or Android. It makes me wonder how much of the marketing budget is spent on the celebrity endorsements as opposed to air time and actual visibility. I'm confident in Mr. Boulben and in the potential for BB10. I just hope in the end that they deliver.
    12-31-12 01:57 PM
    I am going to be extremely confident that they ARE going to deliver! This entire process sounds like it was very well planned and thought out, and not just some put together thing for a release of yet another phone. RIM knows exactly what they are doing here. It is amazing with the right people behind it all, and some of the much needed house cleaning that RIM can become a "Household" name once again, and bring back to the people, what we once had. Every step of this entire process that is building up to the Jan 30th announcement has been thought over and viewed from all angles I would say, and has taken everything into consideration. Nothing is going to stop this!
    jakie55 and Dapper37 like this.
    12-31-12 02:04 PM
    I don't think they would even put down $1B unless they were confident so it's a good sign either way. If the company knew their product had major issues they would opt to look for buyers instead (or some other option)
    12-31-12 02:08 PM

i don't agree with you there, alot of the t ech market is the younger generations and when it branches off into the older markets it is because they are parents and their kids tell them to get this this and that and how to use them, my parents are a prime example, i was also in bestbuy one day buying a playbook when an older dude was lookign at tablets with his, i would assume grandson, and he was lookign at all the different ones, looked at the playbooks and asus then the kid said look at the iPad it can do everything you need it to do. thats when they called out the sales employee to get an iPad for them.

bottom line the target should be the younger genrations as we are more tech savey and we are what drive the tech market
    12-31-12 02:50 PM
    The marketing to this point has been spot on......the money is huge and will go a loooong way. I really hope they have kept a few or even one "knockout" secret about the BB10......
    12-31-12 02:57 PM
62 123