Although 2008-09 were amazing years for RIM, in terms of their production of slick phones and innovative experiences (Storms, Bolds, trackpads, etc), it seems as though we are in a production lull.

In looking at crackberry's rumored phone section, one might walk away uninspired and definitely unexcited.

With google/andoid phones getting all of the buzz these days, what is there to get excited about as a RIM fan? What is the next game-changing technology/experience we can brag about as BB users? What's Next!!
    01-03-10 08:07 PM
    maybe a touch screen with keyboard device?
    01-03-10 08:16 PM
    Perhaps, with a slide-out keyboard? That would be nice, although it would seem like a major departure from how they've been positioning themselves with the last few successful releases (sturdy and light unibodies)

Would be interesting to see, although I feel like keyboards are a waste on touchscreen phone...the iphone has proven that consumers (both experienced and novices) will learn to type in a virtual environment. Seems like a lateral move.

Any other ideas?
    01-03-10 08:23 PM
    To me RIM doesn't need to be flashy. They need;

1) QUALITY. Get it back to where it was!
    2) BROWSER. The iphone and android smoke blackberry here.
    3) OS. Get a device strategy and OS strategy. Every device has different OS. Gotta drive developers nuts!
    4) DEVICES. Make less and focus on better offerings

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-10 08:26 PM
    Actually, I've been looking forward to two of the rumored devices. I am excited for them and think RIM is moving forward pretty nicely. By middle of next year the Dakota - full keyboard and touch screen device & by end of next year a storm type device with a slide out keyboard. I might actually have a hard time choosing my next BB.

Also, things like the upcoming webkit based browser experience and OpenGL coming on all devices - the new PBA Bowling 2 game for the Storm 2 is the first example of how awesome OpenGL on BBs is going to be.
    01-03-10 08:29 PM
    RIM doesn't need to inovate, they need to continue to grow slow and steady, a RIM phone is meant to work, if you buy a Blackberry as a business user you know it WILL WORK out the door with no extra applications, it will do what you need, they can't do like apple or google and throw out something if it bombs they can start from scratch and try again, RIM unfortunately has to be boring to maintain security and reliablity
    01-03-10 08:34 PM
    RIM doesn't have to make a slider to keep up or be innovative. In fact, the average percentage of current BlackBerry users that would like a BlackBerry slider is less than 10%. That's not very many people.

The new Pearl is going to attract many people, just as it did the first time around, and for good reason. Also keep in mind that while CrackBerry surely has plenty of unreleased info about different things out there, there is still plenty of things people don't know about, especially considering actual upcoming devices.

I also agree to a point with CGi's statement. The new browser and OS is going to put BlackBerry on the same level as all other mobile platforms. Which is going to make a great number of people content with their devices.
    01-03-10 08:37 PM
    to me rim doesn't need to be flashy. They need;

1) quality. Get it back to where it was!
    2) browser. The iphone and android smoke blackberry here.
    3) os. Get a device strategy and os strategy. Every device has different os. Gotta drive developers nuts!
    4) devices. Make less and focus on better offerings

posted from my crackberry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    bingo!!!!!!!!!
    01-03-10 10:09 PM
    RIM doesn't need to inovate, they need to continue to grow slow and steady, a RIM phone is meant to work, if you buy a Blackberry as a business user you know it WILL WORK out the door with no extra applications, it will do what you need, they can't do like apple or google and throw out something if it bombs they can start from scratch and try again, RIM unfortunately has to be boring to maintain security and reliablity
    Quite right.
    01-03-10 10:14 PM
    maybe a touch screen with keyboard device?
    That's going to be SO evolutionary.

Wait, how about a keyboard slider BB?

The only thing evolutionary in the RIM camp this past year was the Storm's clicking screen. That made for improved touchscreen experiences, but that's about it. No other BB evolutionized anything... the touchpads ARE NOT evolutionary in any way in my opinion, it was their solution to dirty/problamatic trackballs, nothing more.
    01-03-10 10:26 PM
    That's going to be SO evolutionary.

Wait, how about a keyboard slider BB?

The only thing evolutionary in the RIM camp this past year was the Storm's clicking screen. That made for improved touchscreen experiences, but that's about it. No other BB evolutionized anything... the touchpads ARE NOT evolutionary in any way in my opinion, it was their solution to dirty/problamatic trackballs, nothing more.
    I`m sure you mean Revolutionary Revolutionized, as the touchpad is EXACTLY evolutionary, wheel - ball - touchpad.
    01-03-10 10:28 PM
    Except for when the RIM NOC goes down.

RIM needs to get away from this with as many BB native capabilities as possible.

The new browser most definitely needs to not require RIM's NOC to function. They need to pipe that data out via the carrier's gateway. (This shouldn't be a difficult thing to do at all, we've already had some people come up with browser service book hacks to do just this.)
    01-03-10 10:30 PM
    Except for when the RIM NOC goes down.

RIM needs to get away from this with as many BB native capabilities as possible.

The new browser most definitely needs to not require RIM's NOC to function. They need to pipe that data out via the carrier's gateway. (This shouldn't be a difficult thing to do at all, we've already had some people come up with browser service book hacks to do just this.)
    I hope the NOC lasts as long as it did before this last fail until the next fail.

I do agree with you on this point, and hope that when they release the webkit browser it doesn't have to go through the RIM NOC, though I hope to have the option to do so, as in some areas I go, I am able to use data on my blackberry where I was/am not on a windows smartphone because of usage deals between stupid regional carriers, I'd be stuck with only e-mail if it were not for how RIM does things.
    but in the cities I hate the lag I know I could avoid if it were direct through the carrier,
    01-03-10 10:34 PM
    I`m sure you mean Revolutionary Revolutionized, as the touchpad is EXACTLY evolutionary, wheel - ball - touchpad.
    My "R" key is broken on my keyboard.
    01-03-10 10:40 PM
    RIM doesn't have to make a slider to keep up or be innovative. In fact, the average percentage of current BlackBerry users that would like a BlackBerry slider is less than 10%. That's not very many people.

The new Pearl is going to attract many people, just as it did the first time around, and for good reason. Also keep in mind that while CrackBerry surely has plenty of unreleased info about different things out there, there is still plenty of things people don't know about, especially considering actual upcoming devices.

I also agree to a point with CGi's statement. The new browser and OS is going to put BlackBerry on the same level as all other mobile platforms. Which is going to make a great number of people content with their devices.
    Is CX talking about 5.0, or something else?
    01-03-10 10:51 PM
    My "R" key is broken on my keyboard.
    :P looks like you fixed it :P
    01-03-10 10:52 PM
    This is outstanding feedback.

I'm particularly interested in an improved web experience as well.
    Thank you
    01-04-10 09:08 PM
    Is CX talking about 5.0, or something else?
    CX is talking about the new Webkit browser that's coming and the new OS that will let you use widgets on the home screen.

I dunno, but I hope they have more then that to bring to the table. Some creative theme builders are already doing home screen weather widgets and updating icons for clocks and stuff. Let's hope RIM's not just going to copy that and call it "innovation".

Also, RIM's still going to be behind in application development. There's no BB app out there right now that even compares to Android's offering, let alone iPhone's.

BTW, Android has moved on to live and interactive wallpapers... RIM's just now working on widgets. RIM's like the math dork that showed up late to the party and cause everyone to stop and laugh.

01-04-10 10:44 PM
    CX is talking about the new Webkit browser that's coming and the new OS that will let you use widgets on the home screen.

I dunno, but I hope they have more then that to bring to the table. Some creative theme builders are already doing home screen weather widgets and updating icons for clocks and stuff. Let's hope RIM's not just going to copy that and call it "innovation".

Also, RIM's still going to be behind in application development. There's no BB app out there right now that even compares to Android's offering, let alone iPhone's.

BTW, Android has moved on to live and interactive wallpapers... RIM's just now working on widgets. RIM's like the math dork that showed up late to the party and cause everyone to stop and laugh.

Sweeet. Even though it's not innovative, it'd be pretty cool.
    01-04-10 10:59 PM

That's why I'm going with Android when my upgrade comes up. I do imagine RIM will eventually step up but until then.......

01-04-10 11:00 PM
    With google/andoid phones getting all of the buzz these days, what is there to get excited about as a RIM fan? What is the next game-changing technology/experience we can brag about as BB users? What's Next!!
    Hardware is one thing, but RIM looks like they'll be making large strides in the software department: Adobe, OpenGL, a webkit browser, widgets, etc...
    01-05-10 12:30 AM
    Civic: Yeah, I looked around and found mention of a rumored early beta 5.1, maybe by the time it comes out it might get to 5.2 or 5.3

Now while improvement is good, I was hoping for more of a leap. This sounds more incremental. RIM is bringing more to the table, but slowly.
    I suppose these things do take time, but it's too bad they're playing catch up on some of these new goodies.
    01-05-10 12:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD