On November, 2007, in order to sell its devices inside Russia, RIM provided its encryption keys to Mobile TeleSystems (MTS) which, in turn, provided access to the Federal Security Service (FSB). The official Russian law which mandates this supervision is Order № 6 from 16.01.2008 "About the statement of Requirements for telecommunication networks for operational and search activities."

On January, 2008, RIM China announced that Blackberry sales through China Mobile were on track although 2007 was the expected start date. The delay was due to the fact that �RIM needed to satisfy Beijing that its handsets posed no security threat to China's communication networks, according to sector analysts.� There's only one way to satisfy the Chinese government regarding �security threats� and that's to comply with Chinese law regarding supervision and monitoring.
    Link

So basically, the UAE and Indian governments aren't requesting exceptional access, but simply want to be in on the club
    08-02-10 09:13 AM
    that was back then maybe now things are differnt
    08-02-10 11:03 AM
    I'm sure that's what'll happen. RIM exists to make money, not to further human rights.
    08-02-10 11:45 AM
    in any country, the Company normally adheres to what the Government ask them to do.. it's just the way things are.. Seldom do they give a fight unless it means they have to pay more taxes.. otherwise.. it's Good to Go.
    08-02-10 11:48 AM
    I'm sure that's what'll happen. RIM exists to make money, not to further human rights.
    Ding! RIM is a money *****. They bend over backwards for NA carriers, what's to stop them from doing the same thing overseas to make a buck. Lame... I can't wait until the Chinese hack the NOC and teach everyone a lesson. lol Sooner or later, even RIM's walls will fall to those guys.
    08-02-10 11:54 AM
    You know I'm actually surprised that stories like this about RIM didn't come out
    after the whole debacle with the Indian government. I expect more things like this
    to come out now.

Oh, and China snooping on people isn't a surprise either.
    08-02-10 12:06 PM
    Ding! RIM is a money *****. They bend over backwards for NA carriers, what's to stop them from doing the same thing overseas to make a buck. Lame... I can't wait until the Chinese hack the NOC and teach everyone a lesson. lol Sooner or later, even RIM's walls will fall to those guys.
    - RIMs wall will fall.
    - The earth will be hit by an asteriod.
    - The messiah will come.

All probable events.
    08-02-10 12:09 PM
    Yea I get the feeling blackberry services will resume here in the UAE. Its probably a scare tactic to get RIM to comply with the countries regulations. RIM cannot afford to lose customers and people cannot afford to switch to costly alternative email services since data package here is expensive. You may think its just a small country but this issue will grow and sooner or later every other country will demand the same. So for those still enjoying their privacy, enjoy it while it lasts.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by bushako; 08-02-10 at 12:31 PM.
    08-02-10 12:29 PM
    It is ironic, those nations that fail to empower their citizens with privacy, see Canada as a threat to their security.

As I recall the India situation, after RIM called their bluff they announced they had independently achived access to the AES encrypted data. Of course, there was no comment from RIM.

08-02-10 12:40 PM
    S
    o for those still enjoying their privacy, enjoy it while it lasts.
    Including those living in California

A bill authored by Senator Fran Pavley (D-Santa Monica) that would update California’s wiretapping law to include communications by e-mail, blackberry, text messaging and any form of two-way, electronic communication passed the Senate Tuesday with unanimous, bipartisan support. SB 1428 now moves to the Assembly.
    08-02-10 12:48 PM
    I guarantee you that the NSA is monitoring traffic already too.
    08-02-10 01:36 PM
    "All your privacy are belong to us"
    08-02-10 01:54 PM
    "All your privacy are belong to us"
    Something like that anyways...
    08-02-10 03:11 PM
    I guarantee you that the NSA is monitoring traffic already too.
    that scares me as well..
    08-03-10 09:19 AM
    If you guys don't like it then don't live in those countries, plain and simple.

RIM needs to cater to these governments or they will lose a lot of market share as they won't be able to sell devices there. And what about the other phone manufacturers that don't even have basic security here at home? iPhone, Android, etc, they're already monitored in those countries and it's hardly their fault.
    08-03-10 11:07 AM
    go BES is your scared, i have nothing to hide so i dont care! as long as i get my bbms i couldnt care less what people are doing!
    08-03-10 11:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD