Here's a piece of decent news related to the layoffs at RIM that likely won't make American media:

Ont. government, RIM team up to help laid-off workers | CTVNews

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kyleheney; 08-14-12 at 07:03 AM.
    08-13-12 06:49 PM
    Good piece of news regarding the government and the universities.

But what a misleading headline...there is no mention in the article of RIM helping anyone...
    08-13-12 06:53 PM
    They do say the executive VP of Global Sale approached the local community and the provincial government to put together a transition plan to offer training, jobs or entrepreneurship opportunities.

That seems helpful.

I bet a number of employees will be able to just take the classes needed to retrain their coding skills for the new OS and transition back into the company.
    08-13-12 08:30 PM
    It doesn't actually say that RIM had anything to do with the transition plan. They approached the government about the transition process, presumably after the plan was already in place. They may very well have been instrumental in the plan as well. But in that case, the article does a very poor job of pointing that out.

"RIM's executive vice-president of global sales, said the company approached the provincial government and local community about the transition process after it had details of the cost-cutting plan."
    08-13-12 08:40 PM
    FFS, does no one read anything any more or think for themselves? lol

1) This isn't just for RIM employees, it's actually an Ontario program called Rapid Re-employment and Training Service that was started in 2007 - http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/budget/f...fs-annex1.html
    2) This information goes back as far as June - Job placement assistance available for former RIM employees | CrackBerry.com
    thedark722 and kyleheney like this.
    08-13-12 11:04 PM
    FFS, does no one read anything any more or think for themselves? lol

1) This isn't just for RIM employees, it's actually an Ontario program called Rapid Re-employment and Training Service that was started in 2007 - Annex I : Ontario�s Strong Economy
    2) This information goes back as far as June - Job placement assistance available for former RIM employees | CrackBerry.com
    Except the original CB article only states Communitech as a "not-for profit" organization and in no way implies its a Government sponsored program..as it does in the OP's article. Thus i imagine people bringing this up again.
    08-14-12 12:03 AM
    Apologies for title... changed it to "RIM, Government, Universities", as the article states. Wasn't meant to be misleading at all.

Thanks Bla1ze for the links, I wasn't aware of the programs that are already in place, and I don't think the article made any direct mention of them either. Still good to see that RIM is somewhat involved in helping out former employees.
    08-14-12 07:03 AM
    And they're going to need it.

Some good friends of mine let go today from RIM. Sounds like one round today and another tomorrow.
    08-14-12 06:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD