If Research In Motion Teams With Google, The Stock Is A Buy | Markets | Minyanville.com

Long before this trade was in vogue, I was paired short Research in Motion (RIMM) against an Apple (AAPL) long. In fact, RIM was still sporting some of the best growth in the industry back then. I also correctly called that Apple and Google's (GOOG) Android platforms would supplant RIM. I too went largely against the grain and stated that Android would surpass Apple's iOS well before Google even had 15% global smartphone share. In fact, they may have had less than 10% at the time.

Even so, and given the history, saying that Research in Motion has more points of upside than downside still seems crazy. So before you all think I have totally lost it, just look at a chart, which is 50% of how I'm making this determination. To me a very clear trendline break is occurring. Now I'd actually like to see this fail so I could buy the stock on weakness. But I'm also prepared to buy it a bit higher if needed.

The other 50% is conjecture. I think at this point we will see RIM adopt Android in a bigger way. In the next 2-4 quarters, it's highly likely that we will see at least one RIM produced Android handset (if not more). I also think the Playbook will become an Android-based tablet or that the company will manufacture a new one. If this were to happen, I think it could very quickly quell the enterprise erosion that RIM is ceding to Apple. An Android device working off of RIM's network with all of its security advantages -- and being already ingrained within huge corporate IT departments -- would be massively compelling.

Why now? I've previously detailed what I thought Research in Motion should do regarding Android as far back as 18 months ago, but the company clearly didn't see the same kind of erosion. At this point that erosion is hitting them in the market share every month and I suspect the company is realizing that the Android innovation curve is simply far faster than anything they can produce. So the company might give its new phones a day and the next generation QNX phones a few weeks or months to see if a market share miracle occurs, but I think RIM now knows want it will have to do. And that is to join the Android army.

This gets more hilarious by the hour. Jesus people are dense.
    08-04-11 05:21 PM
    That's what I like to hear. Google has 50% of the smartphone market even though they don't make smartphones and they are being sued for stealing the operating system. Go google go!
    08-04-11 05:31 PM
    That's right. The droids are taking over!!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Welcome to Crackberry. It looks like you will bring intelligent discussion to the boards.
    Phil DeLong likes this.
    08-04-11 05:57 PM
    That sucked.
    08-04-11 06:33 PM
    inb4 RIM gains a position in the Guinness World Records for being one of the largest manafacturer to have had the most minimal amount of law suits against Apple/Microsoft/HTC/etc.
    08-04-11 06:38 PM
    Interesting -- so this guy had the guts to say that when Google funds/develops a powerful, FREE, linux-based mobile OS it'll grab market-share from RIM and Apple. Wow. Amazing.
    08-04-11 06:40 PM
    Well that will be one handset I won't buy.
    It truly is amazing to me to see people assume that all will be well with the world if RIM adopts Android. It is not the solution for everyone, and it will be my last choice of platform.
    08-05-11 03:19 AM
    HAHA -- Minyanville. 'Nuff said.

Why this site still shows up on any page of legitimate news links is beyond me.

Well that will be one handset I won't buy.
    It truly is amazing to me to see people assume that all will be well with the world if RIM adopts Android. It is not the solution for everyone, and it will be my last choice of platform.
    Completely agree.
    08-05-11 07:43 AM
    Yeah RIM is investing all this development time with QNX to become just another Android OEM. They went in with Apple and MS to keep those patents away from Google just so they too could be sued by Apple and MS for patent infringements of the Android OS. Makes perfect sense
    08-05-11 09:07 AM
    I absolutely agree. I think RIM needs to make some radical headway with QNX, but I never want to see a BlackBerry running purely on Android OS. Regardless of anyone's preference, be it Android or BlackBerry, one less OS out there is a loss for everyone. Competition breeds innovation.
    08-05-11 09:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD