Works flawlessly on my trusty old 9700, fabulous feature, thanks RIM. Been spreading the word to none CB users that this upgrade is available.
    12-13-12 09:46 AM
    what is this feature, I've never heard of it
    12-13-12 09:48 AM
    @GLindeque VoIP needs to have a minimum sustained bandwidth on both the upload and the download through the ISP. Is the WAN connection to the ISP DSL? If not what is it and what is your agreed upon upload and download speeds with your provider. Your WAN connection to the Internet will be your choke point, not the WiFi itself. When I was in SA a couple years ago, the quality of the Internet service in Sandton or Pretoria wasn't great. VoIP is only as good as the connections it is using from A to B.
    fbf2012 and raino like this.
    12-13-12 10:05 AM
    I agree, RIM took its last beacon of hope -- BBM -- and wrecked it with the new upgrade. The train of stupidity out of Waterloo continues.

Today, after upgrading, I unhappily learned that my personal Blackberry and corporate Blackberry had their BBM contacts merged into one big pile on BOTH phones, which I did NOT want. No longer can I keep the two BBM profiles separate, as they are now cloud-tethered instead of PIN-tethered. It's becoming clear why RIM requires you to accept a new User Agreement upon upgrade: because they're phishing for your contacts and making BBM a cloud service...perhaps they are trying to sell/market customer information � la Facebook/Google style?

I had to make a choice whether I wanted my Boss and my Boss's Boss sending me texts at 7:00PM at night on my personal phone, since my corporate phone goes to sleep at 6:45PM. However, BBM cannot be uninstalled from Blackberry app world, so now I'm stuck with it though I'll never be using it on my corporate phone again, which is regrettable as it was a handy productivity tool.

I regret upgrading.

The message this sends is:
    (1) They'd rather sell me one phone instead of two (actually, our corporate IT department is moving to 100% Apple in 2014 anyway, so that number is going to zero).

(2) They're not afraid to destroy the one remaining crown jewel RIM has...BBM.

(3) It's okay to alienate your core base of loyal users while your competition runs circles around you.

If anybody knows how to roll back the latest update, please PM me with instructions.

Thanks,
    very unhappy George
    Last edited by george_helgerson; 12-13-12 at 10:23 AM. Reason: incomplete sentence
    12-13-12 10:14 AM
    Wow elitist much cause you have over 1200 posts? OP could be a long time visitor but just never posted comments...

I frequent this site often to see what OPINIONS are, sure there are tons or trolls out there, but let's not hate on someone for posting comments that spur a conversation.
    There hqs been a lot of new sign ups lately posting unrelated content or hate. Clearly not blackberry fans. And it has nothing todo with my posts
    12-13-12 10:19 AM
    I agree, RIM took its last beacon of hope -- BBM -- and wrecked it with the new upgrade. The train of stupidity out of Waterloo continues.

Today, after upgrading, I unhappily learned that my personal Blackberry and corporate Blackberry had their BBM contacts merged into one big pile on BOTH phones, which I did NOT want. No longer can I keep the two BBM profiles separate, as they are now cloud-tethered instead of PIN-tethered. It's becoming clear why RIM wanted a new User Agreement because they're phishing for your contacts and making BBM a cloud service...perhaps they are trying to sell/market customer information � la Facebook/Google style?

I had to make a choice whether I wanted my Boss and my Boss's Boss sending me texts at 7:00PM at night on my personal phone, since my corporate phone goes to sleep at 6:45PM. However, when I click on BBM

(1) They'd rather sell me one phone instead of two (actually, our corporate IT department is moving to 100% Apple in 2014 anyway, so that number is going to zero).

(3) It's okay to alienate your core base of loyal users while your competition runs circles around you.

If anybody knows how to roll back the latest update, please PM me with instructions.

Thanks,
    very unhappy George
    So you signed in with the same BBID on both phones then from what I'm gathering? They are moving BBM from PIN based to BBID based. If you want separate profiles on separate phones then you need separate BBID's. Setup your personal phone with a BBID tied to a personal e-mail address, and setup your corporate phone to your corporate e-mail address. Same thing would happen if you setup a work iPhone and a personal one with same AppleID.

This is very interesting through. If someone sends a BBM to your work phone or personal phone is it showing up on the other? If so RIM has delivered what a lot of people have been ******** for a while now and means that BBM will work across multiple handsets, or on both a Playbook and a phone.
    12-13-12 10:26 AM
    It just seemed to me that there were more people that couldnt get it to work than those that could?
    Heres the thing, you never hear someone saying something works. people only complain when it doesnt, so you need to add that into the mix when taking a wider view.

I quite like BBM Voice, im in the uk and have had convos with people in the US and Canada, but the best one i had was with someone actually underground in one of the london subway stations, as they have wifi down there. apparently got alot of looks as theres no signal for calls down there hahaha
    12-13-12 10:28 AM
    All is well and good for me with BBM7, especially the Voice Chat. Clear, no connection problems, loving it so far.
    12-13-12 10:34 AM
    You do not normally hear about the happy users since they have nothing to post about. Therefore for every one complaint you can assume there are tons of happy users
    12-13-12 10:37 AM
    I had an issue with BBM 7 not working well on my 9930 but I deleted it and reinstalled BBm and it now works fine. Give that a try
    12-13-12 10:38 AM
    Beta worked flawlessly for me though only with one other person who was a beta member. Now that more of my BBM friends have it we have had trouble for the party answering the call being heard from time to time (not every time and not the same places every time). Any idea what that could be - possible fix? Have been very impressed with the quality of the service so far.
    I noticed this with some folks as well. I told them to re-install the new bbm7 update and reboot their phone. After that it worked perfectly. Something about the update did not install correctly for some folks. If you are having issues just Re-install.
    randall2580 likes this.
    12-13-12 10:50 AM

Today, after upgrading, I unhappily learned that my personal Blackberry and corporate Blackberry had their BBM contacts merged into one big pile on BOTH phones, which I did NOT want. No longer can I keep the two BBM profiles separate, as they are now cloud-tethered instead of PIN-tethered. It's becoming clear why RIM requires you to accept a new User Agreement upon upgrade: because they're phishing for your contacts and making BBM a cloud service...perhaps they are trying to sell/market customer information � la Facebook/Google style?

I had to make a choice whether I wanted my Boss and my Boss's Boss sending me texts at 7:00PM at night on my personal phone, since my corporate phone goes to sleep at 6:45PM. However, BBM cannot be uninstalled from Blackberry app world, so now I'm stuck with it though I'll never be using it on my corporate phone again, which is regrettable as it was a handy productivity tool.

I regret upgrading.

Thanks,
    very unhappy George
    Not really sure i agree with you. I have two phones as well for work and personal. I have to BlackberryID's so they are separate. My contacts are not merged.
    12-13-12 10:56 AM
    The latest updates to BBM have all worked fine for me, no real setup process out of the ordinary. As for the BBID thing, Uh... I got numerous BBID's from review units and such and none of that is an issue for me.
    12-13-12 11:05 AM
    I can attest that if you use the same BBID among both phones, then your contacts have been merged.
    12-13-12 11:06 AM
    I think RIM has made a huge mistake releasing a very problematic Bbm7 voice feature just before the launch of BB10.
    Judging by the comments and responses on these forums as well as the comments on BB app world re-BBm7/Voice, Rim has got it terribly wrong at the worst possible time. For the most of us Bbm 7/voice means getting a few new emoticons and that's it!
    At the offset Bbm/voice seemed like a great feature that could possibly accomodate the gap to skype and seemed to good to be true.
    But it seems for the majority it doesnt work!
    Reading through the "Fixes" i have realised just how limiting BBm voice actually is, only working on Wifi then having to change I.P. adresses and getting very technical just to get it working on your home network only?? What about the vast majority that are not on these forums? do you think they have a clue as to how to get Voice to work by re-setting I.P. add etc. What about the people that dont have Wifi at home? Is a Wifi Hotspot now deemed useless to access Bbm7/voice ?
    I just hope and pray that Rim has not pissed of another large group of loyal followers that where perhaps on the knifes edge.
    How many people reported loosing Bbm completely after there update? Fortunatly there are those that have backed up there Phones via Desktop and it wouild seem obvious to us that one should do it, but how many people out there dont have a clue?
    BB10 has a huge job on its shoulders! May the force be with you!
    Interesting comments. But you ignore the fact that most of the comments about problems with Voice were during the public beta period. As for Voice only working on wifi and not OTA, it's the first release of that feature. The basics need to be nailed down first, Then other things can happen. If you were building a house, would you have someone working on the roof before the foundation is done? It sounds like you haven't got it working right on your phone and decided it was easier blaming someone than asking for help.
    12-13-12 11:10 AM
    Wow elitist much cause you have over 1200 posts? OP could be a long time visitor but just never posted comments...

I frequent this site often to see what OPINIONS are, sure there are tons or trolls out there, but let's not hate on someone for posting comments that spur a conversation.
    It probably would be good not to start name calling, either. Or are you being elitist about having a low post count?
    12-13-12 11:14 AM
    Works perfect for me, and for everyone in my bbm list who upgraded to bbm7. (thats about 6 people by now)
    12-13-12 11:16 AM
    I've made a call to someone in Lagos, so it does work in Africa.

The only bad thing about BBM7 is that there's no BBM Voice if you're on OS5.
    RIM has stated that they plan to support bbmv early in 2013 for OS5 users.
    12-13-12 11:17 AM
    Wow another person with less than 10 posts who just signed up and is posting negative content and/or non relevant content. Coincidence? What exactly are you looking to get out of this post?it is known there are some issues and that is expected with something this new. If you have some issues maybe ask on a thread for help or create a thread asking for help. This thread states negative comments that may or may not be true, but never the less was not created to help yourself or anyone else on here so why?
    this is so true, Rim can't win, they said they won't forget the 7.0 phones and will keep the updates going and they still get slammed.
    12-13-12 11:33 AM
    It's been known for months that, sometime this month, BBM would change from PIN based to Blackberry ID based. A recognizable consequence is merging all contacts for the one BB ID. But there was plenty of warning.

No it can't be uninstalled from AppWorld. But you can go to Setup, then Options, then Device, then Application Management. Let the list of apps populate -- give it 10-15 seconds. Find and tap the listing for Blackberry Messenger. There is a delete option. However, that leaves you with another set of problems.

1) That most likely leaves you with no BBM because it's likely to be difficult to find a version to roll back to.

2) You've only avoided the problem, not fixed it. As has been mentioned before, with the change to Blackberry ID controlling BBM, you need separate IDs for work and personal. I'm sure there's a way to fix it without losing contacts on one phone or the other. But it's not something I've dealt with, so I don't have an answer for that one.

If you have or had any thought of using BB10, these are things you should have adjusted for. BBM will NOT be PIN based in BB10. And it was publicly announced months ago that the change was coming this month. I hope the solution is easier than I think it will be.
    12-13-12 11:47 AM

I regret upgrading.

Thanks,
    very unhappy George
    Thanks George. This actually made me feel better. Know that when I get my new BB10, thanks to the BBID process, all my Appworld content should be there for me and sync with my new phone.

If I had two phones for completely different purposes, as you clearly do, I'd have 2 BBID's. That would just make sense.
    12-13-12 11:57 AM
    I can attest that if you use the same BBID among both phones, then your contacts have been merged.
    So if you want to keep the phones separate, then you need separate BBID's. Makes sense. Some people complained about being tied to a PIN, now some different people will complain about being tied to a BBID.
    Shane8750 likes this.
    12-13-12 12:03 PM

I regret upgrading.

Thanks,
    very unhappy George
    VERY simple solution (and one I've been doing myself anyway): set up a new BBID for your work phone.
    12-13-12 12:05 PM
    OP, first off, sorry to hear you're having issues with BBM7.

But you have to remember, the vast majority of people posting something about a new product or feature is very likely to be regarding questions or problems. Those are the members that are usually more inclined to voice an opinion or concern; so to the casual observer, it would appear that a product or feature was fraught with issues. And imagine hundreds of people all posting 'it's working great for me!' -- it would be just slightly less irritating than the hundreds of 'downloading now' posts we get every time a new OS leak drops.

Hope you get your issue resolved soon.
    12-13-12 12:07 PM
    I think that the title of this thread is misleading and utterly inaccurate considering it represented a very weakly supported "feeling" that the OP had. If I were a Mod, I'd change it lol.
    12-13-12 12:16 PM
81 1234