I noticed on storm 2 and 9700 don't have metal contacts so a magnet can't put it to sleep. Is this a new trend and why get rid of it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-09 10:03 PM
    My 9700 has the charging contacts to charge it in a dock if that's what you're talking about.
    12-29-09 10:54 PM
    If you're talking about the holster magnets, then I don't know? Never thought about that. The Tour has them, but then again it has the trackball as well which is supposedly being moved out and replaced with the trackpad. Did the S1 have them?
    12-29-09 10:59 PM
    im pretty sure the op is taking about the bronze contacts in the back to utilize a dock.
    i guess they are but it doesn't matter to me because i only use the powermat to charge my device, lol
    12-29-09 11:10 PM
    The charging contacts aren't related to the sleeper function. They are solely used to charge the phone in a charging cradle. A magnet in the holster activates sleep mode. You can simulate it by holding a magnet near the keyboard. Point a magnetized screwdriver (or other small magnet) at the space key, between the V and B keys. Move it around slightly and the screen will go dark when you trigger sleep mode.
    12-29-09 11:10 PM
    And the 9700 has charging contacts as well! They are on my phone

12-29-09 11:27 PM
    FYI for the OP: the 9700's charging contacts are on either side of the phone set in the bezel as opposed to on the back by a battery door latch, which is where they were on older phones (minus the Bold 9000, which has charging contacts similar to the ones on the 9700).

12-29-09 11:46 PM
    Ah ok I thought they didn't have them cause of the pics. Thanks for the clarification.

12-30-09 08:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD