Their devices certainly got a well-defined image; though I guess this is a double-edged sword.
    11-05-09 04:32 AM
    Look, Microsoft has consistantly put out a product that is years behind Apple (Windows vs Mac here) yet they still hold the market for some unfathomable reason. Just an observation there.

RIM put out a quality product for business use and it remains one. Apple put out the iPhone for all the kiddies that want to be trendy. Let's not compare apples to horses here. I've never know a business professional to need a browser beefier than RIM's. I'm not saying it couldn't use a bit of an improvement (I use Bolt for most browsing myself) but keep the target audience in mind.

If you really need a monster browser than perhaps you should get off the couch, put down your PHONE and walk over to your COMPUTER. Just an idea.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-09 12:46 PM
    Apple put out the iPhone for all the kiddies that want to be trendy.
    TOTALLY incorrect.

I know PLENTY of "business professionals" (lawyers) including myself who use the iphone. The phone was built for EVERYONE hence the mass appeal, anyone from 2 to 90 can pick it up and use it. The browser is just icing on top of the cake- GREAT camera for what it is, arguably the BEST OS out still, high quality hardware, best selection of useful apps (even if lots are crap), etc.
    11-07-09 04:12 PM
    They won't as they own the business market. More importantly than that, they absolutely RULE government space. And there is no one poised to enter into that in the foreseeable future.
    BB can take the government space. I'd prefer the consumer market.
    11-07-09 07:33 PM
    TOTALLY incorrect.

I know PLENTY of "business professionals" (lawyers) including myself who use the iphone. The phone was built for EVERYONE hence the mass appeal, anyone from 2 to 90 can pick it up and use it. The browser is just icing on top of the cake- GREAT camera for what it is, arguably the BEST OS out still, high quality hardware, best selection of useful apps (even if lots are crap), etc.
    This. Blackberry is just as much a status symbol as the iPhone is. And I see more and more people switch to iPhones from BBs, especially business users.
    11-07-09 07:35 PM
    Look, Microsoft has consistantly put out a product that is years behind Apple (Windows vs Mac here) yet they still hold the market for some unfathomable reason. Just an observation there.

RIM put out a quality product for business use and it remains one. Apple put out the iPhone for all the kiddies that want to be trendy. Let's not compare apples to horses here. I've never know a business professional to need a browser beefier than RIM's. I'm not saying it couldn't use a bit of an improvement (I use Bolt for most browsing myself) but keep the target audience in mind.

If you really need a monster browser than perhaps you should get off the couch, put down your PHONE and walk over to your COMPUTER. Just an idea.

Yes rimm is a quality product for business use. They don't really have to do much to remain the primary smartphone of businesses (and honestly what have they done innvoation-wise recently related to business use?) The consumer market is where there is ample room for growth ($$$) and they need to focus on pleasing the consumer through an updated OS, browser, and apps. Those types of upgrades will be beneficial to the consumer as well as the business user. You say that business users are RIMMs target audience, but RIMM has stated that they want to conquer the consumer market (can you blame them?)

I just don't understand a lot of the logic that seems to permeate these forums of "Blackberry is a business phone, so we don't need a polished OS/browser/UI. I just need email". Great all you need is email, but would you mind it if you had those extras?
    11-08-09 03:30 PM

very nice first post, welcome to CB!
    11-08-09 05:47 PM
    RIM is developing Webkit! WOW.... lil late to the party huh guys? BB will never have a GREAT *CONSUMER* phone until they eliminate data having to go through RIM servers... their limitations will always hurt consumer interests. Go ahead and add Flash but what good does it do if streaming is just going to cause massive congestion on RIM servers? I think all this news coming out of the developers conference is great... but their OS needs to be redone. It's a pig. And putting makeup (i.e. GUI development, OPEN GL to add effects) on a pig is STILL A PIG.
    11-09-09 03:30 PM
    a step towards becoming more like the iphone.
    11-09-09 09:54 PM
    I remember when I thought being able to send a fax was awe inspiring. Technology changes almost daily now. Expectations have changed. Rim better catch up.

11-11-09 09:59 PM
    Everyone has these overly cynical attitudes at RIM because they can't look at a damn website! This is dumb! When Apple comes out with a phone that I can use all day and not have to charge 3 times a day come talk to me! When google makes a OS that is secure enough for the president to use I encourage you to let me know. When Palm stops making straight crap please inform me then. When Nokia decides to actually pull off a real App Store for their half bazillion devices, let me know! Blackberry's are leading American marketshare, because they are real devices that do real jobs! Blackberry's are solid products. Yes RIM needs to make sure they don't get left behind in the hustle and bussle of things but honestly they are still one some of the nicest most intuitive devices out right now!

+1

I can't believe how much complaining goes on around here on a forum for blackberry users.

11-11-09 10:17 PM
    A few years too late, RIM. Everybody else already has a WebKit browser.
    gotta love the haters. They will never be happy.
    11-11-09 10:33 PM
    Better late than never.
    11-12-09 12:14 AM
    I thought about jumping ship and trying out something with a nice browser. I soon realized the most important thing for me was the interface to input information into the device. I must not be alone because many who drifted over to Droid are starting to come back to blackberry. They miss a nice keyboard and shortcuts to do the things they need to do often. It does me no good to have a WebKit browser if I have to fumble through multiple keypresses to launch my email app, fumble around on a clunky keyboard to write it, then send it only to find out the problem was resolved in an email that has been sitting on the server for the 10 minutes it took me to hack out an answer. It sounds like RIM is trying to address the true shortcomings of their devices. Lack of flash and true web browsing would be icing on a very nice cake. As it stands now, I would rather have a good piece of cake with no icing than wonderful icing on a cake I can barely swallow.

11-12-09 02:43 AM
    And the BlackBerry will have Flash before the iPhone so
    11-12-09 03:34 PM
    Really ? everyone ... you mean .... the iphone ....
    actually i think droid does that too.
    11-12-09 03:58 PM
    Again with the 'RIM is late argument. Smooth, dynamic web browsing with finger flicking isn't anything that innovative or practical for that matter, but don't get me wrong, it is 'nice' to have. The real improvement will come with mini projectors that project that image on flat surfaces for enhanced viewing, readability and interaction.
    11-12-09 04:04 PM
    im pretty sure that the consumer market has much more growth potential than the business market.

RIM should get bashed until they come out with a browser that is up to par.

Anyone have an idea as to how much building one would cost? I have a feeling that RIM was complacent, and were satisfied with their stock price, and just let their advantage slip. Now its catch time.
    11-12-09 07:09 PM
    Any updates to Blackberries is always a good thing. So, hopefully, we won't have to wait too long.
    11-12-09 09:25 PM
    Anyone ever try to log into Travelocity or other travel site with a Berry browser? It doesn't work. If droid does th�t, then a +1 to droid. If droid will allow allow me to log into my online fax account and to send and receive, another +1.

There are lots of business reasons to have a full web browser.

11-13-09 04:11 PM
    Here's the best part guys. With the recent developments on what handset will and will not support OpenGL and other new innovations from RIM due to memory limitations, wouldn't it be awesome if the new WebKit browser follows this same trend. Oh, that would be like an early X-Mas present for me!!!

Go RIM Go!!!
    11-13-09 04:25 PM
    Here's the best part guys. With the recent developments on what handset will and will not support OpenGL and other new innovations from RIM due to memory limitations, wouldn't it be awesome if the new WebKit browser follows this same trend. Oh, that would be like an early X-Mas present for me!!!

Go RIM Go!!!
    Haha, it's coming JR.
    11-13-09 05:47 PM
    There's a lot of people saying how much the BB browser sucks. I use it all the time and it works for me for what I want it to. I mean, why would I want to see a full HTML page on a cell phone? I go to mobile sites and if the website doesn't have one, then I won't bother. That's why there's a thing called a computer. True, RIM should work on the browser but if you don't like the BB browser, there's options out there like Opera, Bolt, etc. I tried Opera and Bolt. I didn't like them to be honest with you. The BB browser works fine for me so I don't really have any complaints. This is MY opinion.
    11-13-09 06:25 PM

Go RIM Go!!!
    Not sure how to interpret that Civic. Are you saying most devices won't be compatible, including your Storm? That way confirmation of this would be one more reason to leave bb? And your christmas present would be an android or something?

11-13-09 07:16 PM
    There's a lot of people saying how much the BB browser sucks. I use it all the time and it works for me for what I want it to. I mean, why would I want to see a full HTML page on a cell phone? I go to mobile sites and if the website doesn't have one, then I won't bother. That's why there's a thing called a computer
    It's not that you can't use it, it's that you have to work around it in order for it to work well. If the argument is to use a computer instead, then might as well not even include a browser at all...

Bolt and OM both have several drawbacks, which I don't feel like going into all over again like a broken record.

That and the general fact that there are probably about 5+ browsers (not counting server based browsers like Bolt and OM) out there that kick the living crap out of the BB browser up and down... Be competitive or not, that's the decision.
    11-13-09 07:44 PM
110 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD