01-13-10 04:45 PM
110 123 ...
tools
    Needed some more evidence that future BlackBerrys may be getting a much needed improvement in the browser department? You got it. Following up on the news that Research In Motion has acquired Torch Mobile (developers of the WebKit-based Iris browser), the Candian phonemaker is now looking to fill the position of "WebKit Developer," according to a job listing. The posting calls for a number of skills which would come in handy whilst creating a next-gen browser for the BlackBerry OS, clearly calling for someone with hands-on experience coding... WebKit style. Look, if you love Canada and hate the BlackBerry browser, here's your chance to make the world a better place. What are you waiting for?

Via engadget

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-01-09 04:16 PM
    A few years too late, RIM. Everybody else already has a WebKit browser.
    11-01-09 05:21 PM
    It seems to me that RIM have been kinda caught out by the whole consumer thing...i dont think they planned to see the amount of non business users on BB's etc so as long as they are making plans to do something about it then its all good.

Personally i dont have a problem with the browser myself...it works and works well for me...perhaps im not as picky as some people but it gets to the sites i want it to without a lot of fuss.
    11-01-09 05:57 PM
    ya I agree, it works pretty good for what I use it for. Its not amazing, but its a phone, I don't typically browse full sites on it, mobile versions are fine for what I need. Typically I can wait till I'm at work or at home, where I have much larger monitors and I can actually be fairly useful on them. But it is nice to know they are improving it, to bad existing devices probably won't see the update, oh well.
    11-01-09 06:01 PM
    11-01-09 09:34 PM
    A few years too late, RIM. Everybody else already has a WebKit browser.
    Really ? everyone ... you mean .... the iphone ....
    11-01-09 10:24 PM
    I am glad they are doing this.
    11-01-09 10:38 PM
    It's a step in the right direction... I bet it will be out before the vaporware Skyfire is out.
    11-01-09 11:15 PM
    I think Android is WebKIT as well... Not 100% sure without looking it up...
    11-01-09 11:35 PM
    WebOS, Android, iPhone... you know, the quality operating systems.
    11-02-09 06:59 PM
    I for one would welcome this for my BB. I can't wait for the browser to get a step up!
    11-02-09 07:04 PM
    WM has had a couple webkit based browsers.
    11-02-09 07:39 PM
    WM has had a couple webkit based browsers.
    Yep... although I was just naming the quality operating systems
    11-02-09 07:44 PM
    They've had 2 whole years since the Jesus Phone and everybody else showed up to the party with browsers that make experiencing the internet a fairly pleasant affair. What, RIM - you didn't think surfing the internet was going to be a big deal to Joe consumer?
    It pisses me off , because at one time, RIM was utilizing the internet like no other mobile device out there... (considering the decade this all started in).
    They very easily could have kept up with the trends, the technology, and been the company that took the Market lead a long time ago. Nokia Who? What's an "iPhone"?

Now? Now they're so far behind the 8 ball, it isn't funny.
    Typical reactionary RIM. Their answer to the iPhone was a touchscreen with a clicky-thingy that still uses an ancient OS and email engine at its heart, and developers who won't touch it because both the iPhone and Android are much easier to code for.
    Yah. I'm instilled with confidence.

So I hope this new super-awesome web browser will be coming out in a month, because that's about the time frame I've set for myself to pick up a Droid if I like it during a hands-on, the reviews after release are still generally positive.

Maybe in two years time my "new every two" will up again at that point, and RIM will have developed something worthy of my attention. As it stands now, this is ridiculous... and sorry, I've waited long enough.
    11-02-09 07:45 PM
    I'll believe it when I see it.
    11-02-09 08:33 PM
    about time
    11-02-09 09:20 PM
    This is a start in a better direction.. but they still have a long way to go.
    11-03-09 07:50 PM
    atleast there trying to improve it and not just sitting back doing nothing
    11-03-09 08:51 PM
    Mark these words:

When RIM stops catering to the needs of the business world that they OWN, and starts catering to the consumer world that is fickle as ****, RIM will go bye-bye.
    11-04-09 11:00 AM
    Mark these words:

When RIM stops catering to the needs of the business world that they OWN, and starts catering to the consumer world that is fickle as ****, RIM will go bye-bye.
    They won't as they own the business market. More importantly than that, they absolutely RULE government space. And there is no one poised to enter into that in the foreseeable future.
    11-04-09 12:10 PM
    I think the browser is fine. But its nice to see that they care about the consumers sometimes.
    11-04-09 12:24 PM
    Mark these words:

Bull. How would improving the browser push away corporate clients? How would improving app selection hurt corporate clients? Believe it or not, they still do use some web and apps, so it can only help. ESPECIALLY on the consumer end.

Realize that its a near 50/50 split between corporate and consumer Blackberry users these days. you cant alienate near 50% of your business (consumers) to keep the other 50%. If RIM was half the size theyd have the marketshare only a little bigger than Palm (7-10%) right now- more like 15-20% instead of the 35-40% they have now.
    11-04-09 01:44 PM
    Well I'm definitly looking forward to it. I usually do not use the blackberry browser, I use opera mini. But when there is wifi I use the BB browser and I def like it better than opera. I dunno, the tiny font and the smooth mouse action does it for me.

11-04-09 06:09 PM
    Agreed, rice. Mostly its fine. But then it doesn't do mutimedia stuff well, stuff that other companies are rocking today.

An important point someone else made is that its no good for them to have a browser in a year that does what everyone else is doing today. In a year their's will be better and RIM will still be a year behind.

I value my BB's because of what it helps me get done, but sooner or later if an android based phone was just as productive and useful, AND cool as ****, of course I'd switch. It would take a while to gain my confidence, but given time that's easily feasible.

11-05-09 01:46 AM
    Everyone has these overly cynical attitudes at RIM because they can't look at a damn website! This is dumb! When Apple comes out with a phone that I can use all day and not have to charge 3 times a day come talk to me! When google makes a OS that is secure enough for the president to use I encourage you to let me know. When Palm stops making straight crap please inform me then. When Nokia decides to actually pull off a real App Store for their half bazillion devices, let me know! Blackberry's are leading American marketshare, because they are real devices that do real jobs! Blackberry's are solid products. Yes RIM needs to make sure they don't get left behind in the hustle and bussle of things but honestly they are still one some of the nicest most intuitive devices out right now!

11-05-09 03:28 AM
110 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD