Best and Worst Cell Phones: GoodGuide's Exclusive Ratings

I guess the takeaway is...it's the methodology stupid.
    02-20-11 10:40 AM
    Pretty laughable if I say so myself, and I'm not even referring to RIM's last place position. Just look at Nokia up top. That's a joke. And Apple isn't even in the top 5 yet Pantech is?? I'm sorry I even gave this site a hit.
    02-20-11 11:12 AM
    Pretty laughable if I say so myself, and I'm not even referring to RIM's last place position. Just look at Nokia up top. That's a joke. And Apple isn't even in the top 5 yet Pantech is?? I'm sorry I even gave this site a hit.
    Note that the ratings are for social and environmental responsibility, not the quality of the phone.
    02-20-11 12:02 PM
    Social, Enviromental, and Health scores? Diversity in the workplace? Business practices? Geeze, someone dial in the mini-tunes and pass out the banana-broccoli shakes, I'm gonna go get some chili-cheese tots and play with my insensitive phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-11 12:22 PM
    That liberal crap article gave me a massive headache. I may be very critical of Blackberrys, but that article is an embarrassment to journalism. No way are any of their criteria valid nor on point.
    02-20-11 01:30 PM
    That liberal crap article gave me a massive headache. I may be very critical of Blackberrys, but that article is an embarrassment to journalism. No way are any of their criteria valid nor on point.
    I love my Torch but how can you say GoodGuide's criteria for social and environmental responsibility are not valid or on point, when the article does not say what the criteria were? You may think social responsibility is "liberal crap" and you are entitled to your opinion, but many people care about the blood and sweat that goes into the products they buy and try to act responsibility when they can. I for one will be interested in reading how GoodGuide arrived at their ratings when the full report is released on Thursday, instead of dismissing their criteria before knowing what they are.
    02-20-11 01:53 PM
    I love my Torch but how can you say GoodGuide's criteria for social and environmental responsibility are not valid or on point, when the article does not say what the criteria were? You may think social responsibility is "liberal crap" and you are entitled to your opinion, but many people care about the blood and sweat that goes into the products they buy and try to act responsibility when they can. I for one will be interested in reading how GoodGuide arrived at their ratings when the full report is released on Thursday, instead of dismissing their criteria before knowing what they are.
    IMOH, I think the whole premise of using social and environmental factors to judge a is irresponsible journalism. Choosing a device or company or anything but how well the device performs, what it offers, and what effect purchasing the device on your wallet is wasting time and money.
    howarmat likes this.
    02-20-11 02:08 PM
    I'm calling total BS. It's just companies on an anti-RIM agenda, like almost EVERYONE in the media seems to be today.
    02-20-11 07:20 PM
    Clearly the article was written by someone in Europe that highly values Nokia. As Nokia is probabl one of the most popular brnads over there from what I;ve seen. When I visited London, England last year, every second person I passed had a Nokia.

RIM has been on the short end of the stick every time for the past while. I guess everyone likes to ride the crazy brand discrimination trend when one big issue comes out everyone goes along for the ride. Just like the Toyota thing within North America, once with the recalls it pretty much went viral interms of negative info towards the company
    02-20-11 07:36 PM
    IMOH, I think the whole premise of using social and environmental factors to judge a is irresponsible journalism. Choosing a device or company or anything but how well the device performs, what it offers, and what effect purchasing the device on your wallet is wasting time and money.
    It's a waste of time and money to be aware of the human and environmental toll a company takes on creating your product? Seriously? Could you be more entitled? Some of these companies use labor with unfair practices in factories with obscene suicide rates. All of our beloved cell companies use products in their chips from a region that is rife with rape, murder, torture and mutilations as all factions struggle to control the resources. There are other materials they could use but it would cost more. You can call being aware of stuff like that "liberal crap" or whatever you said but in my opinion willfully not knowing or contemplating these facts when you make your choices is based on a sad sense of entitlement and an obviously lazy existence.
    janos2808 likes this.
    02-20-11 07:49 PM
    in my opinion willfully not knowing or contemplating these facts when you make your choices is based on a sad sense of entitlement and an obviously lazy existence.
    Soo since RIM is on the bottom of the list does that mean you were aware of their obvious poor standards before you bought your BB? Or are you just aware of this now..and if so are you planning on immediately dumping your BB in favor of a more human friendly solution? Because after that soap box rant I sure hope your gonna get yourself something more "eco friendly"..
    Last edited by Rickroller; 02-20-11 at 08:27 PM.
    howarmat likes this.
    02-20-11 08:21 PM
    Soo since RIM is on the bottom of the list does that mean you were aware of their obvious poor standards before you bought your BB? Or are you just aware of this now..and if so are you planning on immediately dumping your BB in favor of a more human friendly solution? Because after that soap box rant I sure hope your gonna get yourself something more "eco friendly"..
    You better believe I am aware that RIM has fallen short as have all our smart phone manufacturers. It bothers me a great deal and I have struggled with using any smart phone because of it. These are children being mutilated and raped and it is reality. I haven't stopped buying the product. Because of that I have fallen well short of creating change although I have donated money to help protect the children caught in the middle. So if your point is to say I also have failed to make change then I agree. But I will gladly say to suggest that declaring the only thing we need to think about is performance and cost and anything else considered is a waste is in my opinion awful.
    02-20-11 08:39 PM
    touch� lol
    02-20-11 08:42 PM
    touch� lol
    Yeah, because this topic hasn't moved past my phone is better than yours yet. I'll spare everyone the overused eye roll emoticon.
    02-20-11 08:47 PM
    Yeah, because this topic hasn't moved past my phone is better than yours yet. I'll spare everyone the overused eye roll emoticon.
    in the post above you go into details of children being mutilated and raped because of the smartphone industry and then you just turn the blind eye towards it even though this horrifies you...
    02-20-11 10:10 PM
    Uhh, what?
    02-20-11 10:26 PM
    in the post above you go into details of children being mutilated and raped because of the smartphone industry and then you just turn the blind eye towards it even though this horrifies you...
    I give money to try to stop it. I should stop buying smart phones as well. I already said I have failed in doing so and I struggle with my desire to have these devices and my moral obligation to walk away. I wasn't interested in who does what but I feel it insane to suggest we should buy products based only on cost and performance and ignore the behavior of the companies making the products. I feel like this is the 50th time I've pointed this out. Read the post. This is the usual process on this site lately. Post something, the reader purposely misses the point and then plays dumb about the crux of the post and tries to nibble at the edges. It's not even intellectually stimulating.
    02-20-11 10:35 PM
    Uhh, what?
    Seriously, I can't help you anymore. Use the roll when you sit and lift the seat when you stand.
    02-20-11 10:36 PM
    Best and Worst Cell Phones: GoodGuide's Exclusive Ratings

I guess the takeaway is...it's the methodology stupid.
    What a stupid post, seriously

02-20-11 10:46 PM
    Seriously, I can't help you anymore. Use the roll when you sit and lift the seat when you stand.
    Oh, ok.
    02-20-11 10:48 PM
    Oh, ok.
    Lol, that was funny. I apologize for being rude, I just feel to dismiss this aspect of the corporations behavior because it is a waste of time is a bad way to approach our responsibility as a consumer. But because I feel strongly about it I want to say I didn't mean to be a **** to anyone, it is something I just feel is an important part of our role as consumers. We discuss the fact that many folks who buy these phones don't ever consider the things we debate on these forums from a technical standpoint. I think it might also be a good thing that we also excel in our understanding when it comes to social impact too.
    02-20-11 10:54 PM
    Lol, that was funny. I apologize for being rude, I just feel to dismiss this aspect of the corporations behavior because it is a waste of time is a bad way to approach our responsibility as a consumer. But because I feel strongly about it I want to say I didn't mean to be a **** to anyone, it is something I just feel is an important part of our role as consumers. We discuss the fact that many folks who buy these phones don't ever consider the things we debate on these forums from a technical standpoint. I think it might also be a good thing that we also excel in our understanding when it comes to social impact too.
    Where is your clothing made? What about your shoes?

Unless you produce everything you use yourself, you will never be able to avoid buying something from a company that possibly "exploits" some workers. Even if you make your own items, how do you know where the raw materials come from?

You are undertaking an exercise in futility unless you wish to live off the land with no outside contact and no consumption of purchased goods.

Rickroller, howarmat and K Bear like this.
    02-20-11 11:14 PM
    Where is your clothing made? What about your shoes?

Unless you produce everything you use yourself, you will never be able to avoid buying something from a company that possibly "exploits" some workers. Even if you make your own items, how do you know where the raw materials come from?

You are undertaking an exercise in futility unless you wish to live off the land with no outside contact and no consumption of purchased goods.

I do follow that stuff as do most people I know. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I buy free range chickens and eggs as well as organic whenever I can and I recycle. Like I said I am not a saint and I suck in more ways than I don't. But I will not ignore what I learn and know about the vendors I buy stuff from and dismiss the information as a waste when I feel it should matter in my decision process. That's it, make your own choice but don't pretend it is anything but laziness on your part to not learn where and by whom and under what circumstances your products are produced. You make it sound difficult. It's not. If it doesn't matter to you then so be it. Don't blame your behavior on insurmountable obstacles. I have already said I have failed in boycotting the devices because of my love for them. I suck for making that decision. If it makes you feel better "rickroller" was loving your stance. So, y'all have that new friendship thing working which is always nice.
    buwee likes this.
    02-20-11 11:31 PM
    Apple Iphone is only extremely popular in the US. so the top 5 does make sense considering on a world wide scale. Nokia is more popular
    02-21-11 04:12 PM
    hmmm, ok whatever.

Motorola have virtually zero presence in the UK, so if `almost unpurchaseable` means best, then yea go for it

Nokia are a sinking ship hoping to cling to a (currently weak) rope from microsoft to right itself, so yea, if putting yourself in a very dangerous position is best then again, knock yaself out.

Palm? really? didnt get the memo palm doesnt exist anymore? they are now called HP, and again they have only a slightly smaller market penetration than morotola in the uk, and im guessing far less than motorola in the US.

S/E - really? guessing they`ve never owned one, just ask their X10 / X8 users how they are enjoying Froyo.....ah sorry you cant.

Pantech? who are they? from a bit of googling it seems they design mobiles for at+t and verizon, or to put in in laymans terms, the cheap naff own branded handsets carriers offer. yea, best, dream on.

Im not saying they are wrong or right, but simply by reading their social and enviromnetal scopes for reasonings i find it highly laughable how being enviromentally friendly or a `social manufacturer` (of which i believe RIM is one of the top social ones) has any scope on how good a mobile phone is.

then add to that the total lack of Samsung, HTC and Apple from the mix and this blog post is just about the most factless and baseless arguement seen on the net
    K Bear likes this.
    02-21-11 04:25 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD