RIM has had their share of mistakes and problems over the past few years. The competition has capitolized and there is now a very competitive market in the smartphone/tablet space. After what many are calling a debacle of a tablet launch (even though I've been loving my Playbook since launcy), I surely thought that 2.0 would, at the very least, calm the harsh critics down. After all, over the past couple of years, Microsoft has been in a similar boat to RIM - stomping on the brakes and starting a new direction from scratch. There have been plenty of issues in the WinMo space, but I rarely see them put under the microscope like RIM.

RIM has upgraded the OS 7 phones to 7.1 and the Playbook to 2.0. The two work together quite well. But, more importantly (I guess), the Playbook is now more relavent to those who don't have BB phones. With a 16gb Playbook now priced more like the Kindle and Nook, I would think they'd be flying off the shelves and the media would be reporting it.

Not only am I seeing reviews that rate 2.0 at 'meh' at best, but the stock dropped slightly between Monday and today. I would have thought that RIM releasing 2.0 with all of the features they promised on time, the investment community would have gotten at least a little excited. I don't get it.

2.0 is great and OS10 looks like it's going to be an OS to be contended with. But obviously the Media and investors don't have the same feeling. Not even a 1% gain following a major OS delivery? What do people really expect them to do in order to regain favor?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-23-12 07:08 PM
    on many fronts i agree with you, it totally baffles me as to why shares didnt go up. it really is to bad there is so much working against RIM, even though RIM has such strong products. playbook was great before os2, and now with os2 its simply awesome.

your also correct about 7.1 for lots of the lineup. and it works great..

BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME. RIM has built it so now its time for people to wash away the brainwashing they get from other brands, and welcome this great product.
    02-23-12 07:21 PM
    I don't believe OS2 was meant to be a WOW update. Many of the WOW factors are busy being developed for BB10....BB10 involves deep integration, the NOC, embedded device market, the cloud, transparent multi processing etc....A major revolutionary engineering feat...BB10 infrastructure is going to be deployed in many more ways then most people are aware of. Think QNX clientele base etc.

What I imply by OS 2.0 not being intended to WOW, is based on RIM UI resources etc,being more focused on multi device integration etc for BB10 . Certain aspects such as the UI still having an Adobe Air flavor etc, are left inorder to focus on BB10 and the "integration ".

Michael Clewely from RIM mentioned today that 0S 2.0 is the foundation of BB10...Looking at a foundation by no means gives much of an impression of what's to be built on top. However when we further examine the foundation we realize RIM has built a foundation to support a "skyscraper "....A skyscraper foundation is a major engineering marvel...We are aware of what can be built on top of this.

The foundation is there. Some of us are more aware of what's coming then others. Some people are very aware, and then there are those such as myself that only have limited knowledge of what's coming through research. I was going to refrain from posting this, but there are new members that might find my post interesting.

One thing is for certain. The development tools for developers are POWERFUL. They are evolving rather quickly. Being aware of how powerful the dev tools are and the awesome foundation QNX is....One can only imagine what RIM is building for BB10 with an OS that supports an abundance of what is currently state of the art in computer sciences. BB10 is going to be very diverse IMHO.
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 02-23-12 at 07:55 PM.
    BB10FTW likes this.
    02-23-12 07:43 PM
    I don't get why you would think shares would go up. RIM still lost money on the Playbook and OS2 isn't going to do much for any immediate growth of the company and it's revenues - it will only make current PB owners happier while being used by RIM to help them with BB10.

There's nothing for investors to really get excited about. In fact, I can see some getting turned off as OS2 (while making the PB better) is underwhelming considering it took 10 months and didn't offer THAT of an improvement and still lags behind the competitions offerings.

Investors want to see immediate results or sure signs of future success. OS2 doesn't do either, and BB10 phones are still too far down the road.

It IS a long uphill climb, and the odds are stacked against RIM. It's going to get worse before there's any chance of getting better.
    02-23-12 07:48 PM
    It's obvious to me that they had a February deadline to meet, they did, and are leaving the next OS upgrade for the 'other things'.

I think it would be great if RIM announced a time for OS3 and released what they could at that time...and then work on OS4 build it so people know that good things come with an upgrade

There are many positives with the playbook and BB phones. RIM needs to advertise that

Some people have been writing that Apple blacklists media outlets/tech-writers that don't compare everything to iPad's 'greatness'. ...it's the 'seedy' side of the symbiotic relationship
    Last edited by anthogag; 02-23-12 at 09:02 PM.
    02-23-12 08:12 PM
    I would have thought that the stock price would have gone up at least a bit. Sure, they lost money on the Playbook, but they already absorbed the write-down last quarter. Any Playbook's sold since then have already been adjusted for inventory cost. Apparently, there are still plenty available.

I gave a demo to a neighbor who has a curve 3g. I downloaded the Bridge to his phone and showed him the Bridge apps along with the native PIMs. He really liked it. Then I fired up the remote. This was a huge wow-factor for him. So much so that he ordered himself a 32gb Playbook from shopblackberry.

As far as an OS 3.0, 4.0, etc are concerned, I don't know what they'll be called, but we were told that there will be updates coming to the Playbook. But more importantly, basically given assurance that the Playbook will still be relavent when BB10 arrives.

I also agree about the quality of the development tools that are available now. I had been developing in the Adobe Air environment, but am now getting my feet wet with Webworks. I'm amazed at how much native functionality RIM has exposed to an HTML5-based development environment. Aside from not supporting COBOL and Pascal, I'm hard pressed to think of any development environment that RIM has missed!

But, the 500lb gorilla in the room seems to be the iPad 3 being officially announced in less than 2 weeks. Investors are probably waiting to see what's going to happen with that. And I don't think anyone's going to be surprised.
    02-23-12 10:00 PM
    I would have thought that the stock price would have gone up at least a bit. Sure, they lost money on the Playbook, but they already absorbed the write-down last quarter. Any Playbook's sold since then have already been adjusted for inventory cost. Apparently, there are still plenty available.

I gave a demo to a neighbor who has a curve 3g. I downloaded the Bridge to his phone and showed him the Bridge apps along with the native PIMs. He really liked it. Then I fired up the remote. This was a huge wow-factor for him. So much so that he ordered himself a 32gb Playbook from shopblackberry.

As far as an OS 3.0, 4.0, etc are concerned, I don't know what they'll be called, but we were told that there will be updates coming to the Playbook. But more importantly, basically given assurance that the Playbook will still be relavent when BB10 arrives.

I also agree about the quality of the development tools that are available now. I had been developing in the Adobe Air environment, but am now getting my feet wet with Webworks. I'm amazed at how much native functionality RIM has exposed to an HTML5-based development environment. Aside from not supporting COBOL and Pascal, I'm hard pressed to think of any development environment that RIM has missed!

But, the 500lb gorilla in the room seems to be the iPad 3 being officially announced in less than 2 weeks. Investors are probably waiting to see what's going to happen with that. And I don't think anyone's going to be surprised.
    What's even more impressive is that it is open source......Once RIM's GitHub depository fills up, devs will have access to an abundance of code....Devs will love this as they can make powerful apps fast

Is COBOL and Pascal open source? RIM is encouraging devs to bring over as many open source libraries as possible, even if not officially supported. At least that's what I understand.....I could be wrong
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 02-23-12 at 11:06 PM.
    02-23-12 10:40 PM
    The stock is not going to go up in a big way until RIM delivers more products that start to challenge the front runners. Or the sales of current devices are compelling. I'm happy with BB7.1 but it looks like they don't sell as well as the competition. BB10 is shaping up to be the product that will challenge.
    If it does, the stock will turn on a dime and double in value in a short period of time. Quite possibly the stock price could start to move once people can invission the successful. Products. Witch could be soon, I'd say by fall.
    As for RIM, all they need to do is keep up the good work and not worry about the stock price. They have lots of money to complete their task.
    02-24-12 12:05 AM
    It's almost the end of the fiscal year for RIM. I would think most investors are waiting to see what the last quarters numbers are like and, perhaps more importantly, what the guidance will be for FY2013.

As for the Playbook, at the current prices it is unlikely to have much of a positive impact on earnings. I'm not sure why it would impact the stock, other than perhaps to show that it is possible now for RIM to actually stick to a schedule.

The real test, though, is whether they can find a place in the profitable high-end phone market again. We won't know that for another year probably. Until then I can't see the stock moving much at all, unless this quarter and next end up being even worse than expected.
    02-24-12 12:31 AM
    ^There's much you and I have no clue about. From some accounts there's room for an upside surprise in the current earnings. The fact that BB trend so highly on Amazon site for one.
    Wall Street will wait for a perception shift. That could happen at anytime.
    02-24-12 03:27 AM
    Ignore the stock price. A bunch of bad articles driving the price down. Another company with zero debt and a growth in market share wouldn't be selling at such a low p/e. The stock market is corrupted, unfortunately and it seems that DC can do no better than to corrupt it even more.
    02-24-12 06:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD