He should have taken the opportunity to say yes we had problems but boy should the world now sit up and take notice.
    Instead, he came out of the interview looking like the bad guy..

See what you think.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    01-30-13 01:18 AM
    Every single question was negative. Not a SINGLE question was aimed to learn about the new OS or phones, just "what went wrong"?

You've been doing bad, what went wrong?
    Interupting him - what went wrong?

You've been delayed, that means there were problems right?
    01-30-13 01:37 AM
    What an *****. There's no shame in saying that RIM was asleep at the wheel for a couple of years. The important thing is they're heading in the right direction now and he should have put more emphasis on that AFTER clearing her question.

Where does RIM find these guys?
    01-30-13 01:37 AM
    Sorry mods I did a double post. One here and one on BB10 os section. Please delete whichever you feel not correct.

01-30-13 01:38 AM
    Every single question was negative. Not a SINGLE question was aimed to learn about the new OS or phones, just "what went wrong"?

You've been doing bad, what went wrong?
    Interupting him - what went wrong?

You've been delayed, that means there were problems right?
    Of course it was, they want a reaction. The guy is a professional, he should have been prepared and turned it around.

01-30-13 01:43 AM
    What an *****. There's no shame in saying that RIM was asleep at the wheel for a couple of years. The important thing is they're heading in the right direction now and he should have put more emphasis on that AFTER clearing her question.

Where does RIM find these guys?
    Bang on correct.
    Admit there were mistakes, you don't need to tell anyone what they were.. Apologise and then hit the audience with the positives and sell sell sell.. Blimey you are on a UK and European wide stage.. Use it man.

01-30-13 01:45 AM
    no one will remember this by the end of the day. will seem important until launch
    01-30-13 01:50 AM
    i think he did great. dont know what the fuss is
    01-30-13 01:53 AM
    no one will remember this by the end of the day. will seem important until launch
    Shouldn't have wasted his time then.. That really isn't what selling the sizzle is about.
    There would be many thousands of executives watching the program at that time. The same executives that could easily go out and purchase the new handset. A missed opportunity to sell the sizzle in my eyes

01-30-13 01:54 AM
    i think he did great. dont know what the fuss is
    Your name isn't Stephen Bates is it? Lol, and only joking..
    He did a politicians job. Where he failed, he didn't even attempt to answer the question, instead he ran like he had been programmed. Making himself look stupid which I'm sure he is far from that.
    He could have attempted an answer or even controlled the interview by saying, sorry, that is a question I can't answer at this point. Then move on. Simple deflection techniques.

Instead he answered her question with a set piece about how mobile communication has transformed into mobile computing.. Yes RIM we all know that

01-30-13 02:20 AM
    He did the right thing, she was not the least bit interested in what's coming but just wanted to gloat on the past.
    01-30-13 02:42 AM
    He did the right thing, she was not the least bit interested in what's coming but just wanted to gloat on the past.
    Disagree, he is the MD of RIM Europe. He should have controlled the interview.

01-30-13 02:49 AM
    Disagree, he is the MD of RIM Europe. He should have controlled the interview.

Fair enough, but he was there to talk about what is happening today. She is supposed to report the news and educate the viewers but in my mind she failed miserably. Happy to agree to disagree
    01-30-13 03:43 AM
    Fair enough, but he was there to talk about what is happening today. She is supposed to report the news and educate the viewers but in my mind she failed miserably. Happy to agree to disagree
    I have to agree. He was there to promote todays events, but instead she was more bothered about trying to make him look small......

Could it be because the BBC use Iphones
    bkupris and mozzamay like this.
    01-30-13 03:45 AM
    Oh I don't disagree with that but what I'm saying he could have easily controlled the situation and put the interview back on track to talk about the new release. He failed to control the situation. He should have quashed the question then moved on..

edit:
    He could have said...
    OK.. it's clear you want to discuss the historic issues my business has faced. I will make a deal with you.. Lets discuss in the limited time we have what I've been invited hear to discuss, the release today of the very exciting BB10 OS and new hardware, then invite me back another day and lets discuss the history of RIM.. I'd be more than happy to do that..
    01-30-13 03:58 AM
    I have to agree. He was there to promote todays events, but instead she was more bothered about trying to make him look small......

Could it be because the BBC use Iphones
    I have noticed the BBC tend to have a little bit of Iphone bias, not sure why exactly. Maybe the director general has shares in ARM or something.
    01-30-13 04:04 AM
    Although this is the buisness correspondent, its not a tech feature and i have seen her be quite tough with other companies who have had a hard time.
    01-30-13 04:07 AM
    I'm mad with Europe and FR. Have to chill out or I'm gonna rant.
    01-30-13 04:20 AM
    I also agree. The "What went wrong?" question was a trick question to derail him in the interview. The moment he answered that question he would have opened himself to more questions that she was waiting to ask him. Remember it was a 3 minute interview and he needs to get out the positive talking points about the BB10 in that short time span. The moment he answered the "What went wrong?" he would have spent the remainder of the interview on the defensive.
    sf49ers, jesse_h and bkupris like this.
    01-30-13 05:28 AM
    probably she did not want to be part of a commercial for Blackberry as a serious reporter,
    but of course no representative of RIM will ever come on to just get beaten over the head,
    so you have your typical conflict of interest...
    01-30-13 05:51 AM
    I would have just told her that it is about today and moving forward and delivering the best product out to the market. At that point, most interviewers would have said to themselves, "they are not falling for this question", and would have moved on. Unless she's a major share holder, its really non of her business "what went wrong!"
    uktivo likes this.
    01-30-13 06:04 AM
    Great to see that the BBC are interested in BB10 in this interview it was "what went wrong" & an interview with Nicky Campbell on BBC 5 Live, all the were interested in was what have they learnt from the iPhone! BBC News - Blackberry pins hopes on new BB10 smartphone
    uktivo likes this.
    01-30-13 06:47 AM
    I would have just told her that it is about today and moving forward and delivering the best product out to the market. At that point, most interviewers would have said to themselves, "they are not falling for this question", and would have moved on. Unless she's a major share holder, its really non of her business "what went wrong!"
    She is the buisness correspondent on the programme, not a tech journalist.
    01-30-13 06:57 AM
    I think he has done a very good job..the lady was trying to push him into a corner.and I think.he intelligently avoided that question.
    01-30-13 07:18 AM
    they should have keep him away from interview before launch of BB10
    01-30-13 07:23 AM
28 12