Umm, you guys do realize it's the publicist group that dropped RIM, not the other way around, right? They see more upside to growing a relationship with Samsung than with RIM. Has zero to do with what anybody thinks of the latest BB ads, but rather I'd say it has everything to do with Samsung and RIM being direct competitors.
    I agree, but I am sure that RIM will have no problem finding another firm.
    11-26-10 08:28 AM
    The commercials aren't a causation, but a strong correlation to the propensity to make a given purchase. Over time, I was intrigued by Android's capabilities. What I can say about the diverse set of Android commercials is, the more I hear about how capable it is, the more I'm intrigued. So, I walk into a Verizon store, and I store toying with the phones on display. I, then, realized I could seriously get the hang of this. I spent subsequent days trying to get a better feel for Android by playing with the Droid 2, X, and Incredible.

The commercials didn't make me buy the device I have now, but they gave me a strong impression to really consider it.
    I really don't think they did that either. They dropped a name. Made it mysterious so people would go in and ask about it. The first time I saw the commercial I didn't know what it was for, but it inticed me to find out. The first set of commercials (and even some now) don't really tell you what the product and Android OS can do. They just do the same old "mysterious" game. So instead of inciting me to make a purchase, it got me to ask questions. Since BB was more well known, they were trying to get a different sect of people to ask about it. It wasn't working nearly as well, though.
    11-26-10 01:18 PM
    The bb ads aren't bad, at least they don't go out of their way to show you how much people like using a competitor's phone like some of those first wp7 adverts did, which seem to have been hurriedly replaced with another version that spells out their point better.
    Rim has always taken time out of their busy schedule to spend money on commercials targeting Apple. The one I posted below being the most notable.

m.gizmodo.com/5160926/blackberry-ad-shows-how-much-rim-hates-apple

Then you have the curve commercial which one comparing prices and features to the iPhone .3G model. No company is innocent for spending hundreds of thousands and in the DROID DOES commercials millions on smearing Apple.
    11-27-10 03:44 AM
    $200M? Why bother... all RIM needs to do is give out a few latest phones on CB forum for creative entries I am sure they will be flooded with with entries with concepts, ideas and videos. If we the consumer thinks its a good idea or catchy so may others...
    HELLO, what do ya think the consumers have been doing since the Storm 1 debacle, we've been shouting to RIM what WE THE CONSUMER want and RIM still doesn't listen and if you think the Torch was supposed to fill that void, well lets just say that the droves of people that switched to another device has answered that question.
    11-27-10 05:13 AM
    HELLO, what do ya think the consumers have been doing since the Storm 1 debacle, we've been shouting to RIM what WE THE CONSUMER want and RIM still doesn't listen and if you think the Torch was supposed to fill that void, well lets just say that the droves of people that switched to another device has answered that question.
    That may be true, but their business is up 30%. So they are obviously are adding some value to some consumers/businesses who see the worth of their services. So there is a side of the RIM business you are totally missing with your one-liners.

How many times do you see Camry nuts, buy Accord or Accord nuts buy Camry? Happens all the time. You don't think there are these same tired conversations on car boards where people are essentially doing the same thing?
    11-27-10 09:31 AM
    I really don't think they did that either. They dropped a name. Made it mysterious so people would go in and ask about it. The first time I saw the commercial I didn't know what it was for, but it inticed me to find out. The first set of commercials (and even some now) don't really tell you what the product and Android OS can do. They just do the same old "mysterious" game. So instead of inciting me to make a purchase, it got me to ask questions. Since BB was more well known, they were trying to get a different sect of people to ask about it. It wasn't working nearly as well, though.
    They didn't even do that for me. There are many, many commercials I really like and if the intent was name brand recognition they succeeded. But for those commercials I really, really like, for some of the products it will be a cold day in you know where before those products enter my home.

Some commercials have the opposite effect. When I saw the first commercial for the iphone 4 where the wife was telling her husband she was pregnant (wirelessly of course because ATT didn't allow the app to use data) using the video conferencing feature, I wanted to dive into a big drum of RIM devices to cleanse myself.
    11-27-10 09:37 AM
    Getting the name out was their main intent, and they succeeded better than any other ad campaign I've remembered recently (at least in the phone industry). I don't think they were trying to be mysterious. Yes, they were targeting mainly males with the masculinity stuff. But they were also focusing on the apps themselves (hence Droid Does slogan). Overall, I thought it was and is a very good campaign.

And the real point of the article is that RIM ($200 account) got dropped by their own ad agency for a competitor. It has nothing to do with whether you liked their ads or not. It seems like RIM wasn't planning ditching them any time soon, but got left behind instead.
    11-27-10 11:25 AM
    They didn't even do that for me. There are many, many commercials I really like and if the intent was name brand recognition they succeeded. But for those commercials I really, really like, for some of the products it will be a cold day in you know where before those products enter my home.

Some commercials have the opposite effect. When I saw the first commercial for the iphone 4 where the wife was telling her husband she was pregnant (wirelessly of course because ATT didn't allow the app to use data) using the video conferencing feature, I wanted to dive into a big drum of RIM devices to cleanse myself.
    I think I would have done the same thing. But, I don't know about you, my reason would be because the caveat you mentioned was already made known by many tech pundits. For me, it was a slight sense of false marketing. Or, dare I say, an outright sign of such.
    11-27-10 11:29 AM
    Getting the name out was their main intent, and they succeeded better than any other ad campaign I've remembered recently (at least in the phone industry). I don't think they were trying to be mysterious. Yes, they were targeting mainly males with the masculinity stuff. But they were also focusing on the apps themselves (hence Droid Does slogan). Overall, I thought it was and is a very good campaign.

And the real point of the article is that RIM ($200 account) got dropped by their own ad agency for a competitor. It has nothing to do with whether you liked their ads or not. It seems like RIM wasn't planning ditching them any time soon, but got left behind instead.
    This type of thing is business as usual. A company only has so much resources and sometimes they go to the highest bidder.

My guess is this will turn out better for RIM.

My dollars are mostly unaffected by advertising. After the home purchase, the next highest dollar value purchase of a depreciating asset is the car. Who buys a car solely based on advertisements? What car company, except for Bugatti/Ferrari and other exotic nameplates doesn't advertise?

What phone company, wireless company, cell phone manufacture doesn't advertise?

Coke as an example, high dollar ad account I would venture, seen a million coke commercials. Don't drink the stuff. Yet big name brand recognition. To me so what.

Now I do admit some of the exotic vacatiion commercials I've seen do sound enticing and might make we want to go there. But by and large most advertisements and commercials are noise to me.

I'm sure RIM will wind up picking a good agency where there commericials don't get lost in the shuffle.
    Last edited by i7guy; 11-27-10 at 01:11 PM.
    11-27-10 01:09 PM

You're right about ads and name recognition. For instance that "cat herding" ad during one Super Bowl was probably a lousy ad, despite its creativity. I don't remember what product or service was being promoted, and neither do any of my friends who also watched the ad.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    11-27-10 01:22 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD