Apple, Microsoft, Sony top brands in India: Survey - The Times of India

This is truly surprising to me. How is RIM not a top brand in India? The survey is rather large, and I thought India was a stronghold for RIM. What gives. Read the article. Here is a snippet:

According to Brand Desire, a global brand study launched by Clear, part of the M&C Saatchi Group, the top 10 desirable brands in India are: Microsoft, BMW, Google, Apple, Adidas, Mercedes, Audi, Disney, Sony and IBM.

While most of these are new to the Indian market, a set of brands that have topped its category are those that have been around for decades and have been ingrained in the consumers' psyche.

These include Cadbury's in food and drink, Johnson & Johnson in personal care, Taj in leisure, Dettol in home care and Complan in health care.

With a huge middle class demographic enjoying the fruits of a resurgent India, "brands are speaking a language of achievement, success and pride in their brand code," the survey said.

"Indians are beginning to desire brands that are confident, modern and ambitious, brands that celebrate success and show you have 'made it' in life," the report added.
    05-29-12 06:02 AM
    Change RIM to "Blackberry" ... and this won't be the same ... IMHO
    05-29-12 06:04 AM
    Change RIM to "Blackberry" ... and this won't be the same ... IMHO
    I'd be amazed if that wasn't taken into account in the research methodology. I suspect it's down to the social-economic groups they quizzed - basically they don't tend to interview the poor.
    05-29-12 06:12 AM
    Half of the articles in Times of India are sh#t.. just like this one. They have very poor tech writers who dont even know whats the full form of RIM.

edit:
    in this case the research agency is also crap i guess. In India mostly everyone knows BB and many of them like it.
    Last edited by sris; 05-29-12 at 06:18 AM.
    05-29-12 06:15 AM
    Yes, but it's got to be "desirable" as in an aspirational product. Blackberrys are probably bread and butter products.
    05-29-12 06:21 AM
    I suspect it's down to the social-economic groups they quizzed - basically they don't tend to interview the poor.
    Aren't the poor more likely to be aspirational when it comes to brand consciousness?

Half of the articles in Times of India are sh#t.. just like this one. They have very poor tech writers who dont even know whats the full form of RIM.
    Oh, god! Don't tell me the Indian press has been infected with American bias. It's a worldwide epidemic!
    05-29-12 06:21 AM
    Aren't the poor more likely to be aspirational when it comes to brand consciousness?
    Maybe but this seems to be a survey of Brand value not awareness - I'm trying to find a copy of the actual report. Having said that, we saw Rim completely slide off the Brandz 100 top brands, so such a finding by another company is not surprising.
    05-29-12 06:29 AM
    Clear (Home | Clear) made the study. Six countries (US, UK, Australia, India, Germany, South Korea) and 22000 people.

Clear's big idea is 'desire', e.g. desirable products are successful. This is their 'desire' study.

This year, on their list, BlackBerry was #91, down 2% from their previous study. This is hardly a world wide study

When RIM bounces back with BB10 they will move up in this pathetic study
    Last edited by anthogag; 05-29-12 at 07:50 AM.
    05-29-12 07:27 AM
    wow great way to Spin and Article to be negative RIM even without any mention of RIM

less than 25% of the surveyed people where from China/India, lets assume of the 23% China/India survey takers, that it was near even split but heavy on the India side, so 12% of the survey are Indians..

Yup that will significantly show Indian support for the BlackBerry brand compared to other Brands that aren't successful in the other 88% group.

the last line shows
    While Chinese consumers prefer brands that are fun and carefree, and allow them to express their own style, Indian consumers desire brands that are hard-working and practical, the report said.
    which goes in line with BlackBerry being a strongly recognized brand in India.
    05-29-12 07:41 AM
    wow great way to Spin and Article to be negative RIM even without any mention of RIM

less than 25% of the surveyed people where from China/India, lets assume of the 23% China/India survey takers, that it was near even split but heavy on the India side, so 12% of the survey are Indians..

Yup that will significantly show Indian support for the BlackBerry brand compared to other Brands that aren't successful in the other 88% group.

the last line shows

which goes in line with BlackBerry being a strongly recognized brand in India.

Where did you get a numbers breakdown

I don't think China was in the study
    05-29-12 08:08 AM
    Brand desire isn't the same thing as brand popularity. Obviously everyone in India isn't riding around in an Audi, BMW, or Mercedes.
    05-29-12 08:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD