David George-Cosh, Financial Post : The revelation of a new BlackBerry accessory is the first concrete evidence Research In Motion Ltd. will soon mount a long-awaited campaign targeting the lucrative consumer market.

Peter J. Thompson, National Post File PhotoJim Balsillie, co-chief executive of Research In Motion, mentioned the Dallas area�s close proximity to Mexico as a bonus for the BlackBerry manufacturer.

Dubbed the BlackBerry Remote Stereo Gateway, details on the Federal Communications Commission�s Office of Engineering and Technology Web site indicate RIM looks to steal some thunder from Apple Inc.�s iPhone and make the BlackBerry devices as handy in the living room as the waiting room.
    It�s about the size of a few crackers and is intended to connect directly to a stereo while wireless Bluetooth technology is used to play music files from a multimedia BlackBerry.
    "This is huge," said Carmi Levy, senior vice-president of strategic consulting for AR Communications Inc. "This really is the first tangible evidence that has been bubbling under for some time, but RIM has been really quiet about bringing that to fruition."
    All new electronic equipment has to be registered with the FCC to ensure the device�s radio emissions are safe and will not conflict with other objects.
    Perhaps to thwart tech-savvy detectives sleuthing for a glimpse into RIM�s development process, the device was registered to a Taiwan-based company, Cheng Uei Precision Industry Co., Ltd., even though the BlackBerry brand is prominently displayed throughout application documents. The Taiwanese manufacturer applied the accessory last week, but there is no release date given, according to documents on the Web site.
    "This is a pivotal moment in the history of the BlackBerry franchise," said Mr. Levy. "[The accessory] is now placing the BlackBerry as a front and centre entertainment-focused device"
    01-31-08 07:04 AM
    This device is dumb, a waste and unnecessary. Why would you use this device to *wirelessly* connect to ur BB, which is an unstable connection I might add), then do a hard wire to ur stereo or what not, when u can simply do a hard wire to both ur BB then to ur stereo/music player....with a $5 double male end 3.5mm connector, which will fit into ur BB, and ur stereo which will need an aux input either way with a hard wire, or this gateway device.....

????? I dont get it.....wait a sec, yes I do, they're trying to make alot of $$$$$ off this device which will cost them a mere 20 -30$ to manufacture, but then sell for over 100$$ 300% profit or more....pathetic
    01-31-08 08:44 PM
    Thanks for your reply on this threat, it seems that you have a good domain knowledge about it. your words does make sense!!
    02-04-08 05:16 AM
    This device is dumb, a waste and unnecessary. Why would you use this device to *wirelessly* connect to ur BB, which is an unstable connection I might add), then do a hard wire to ur stereo or what not, when u can simply do a hard wire to both ur BB then to ur stereo/music player....with a $5 double male end 3.5mm connector, which will fit into ur BB, and ur stereo which will need an aux input either way with a hard wire, or this gateway device.....

????? I dont get it.....wait a sec, yes I do, they're trying to make alot of $$$$$ off this device which will cost them a mere 20 -30$ to manufacture, but then sell for over 100$$ 300% profit or more....pathetic
    I'd agree that it is pretty useless if the connection was unstable. I don't see how they would release a product like this if it was unable to play music without interruption. You many be right though. I know they kill us on the mark up... but I'd pay the extra money to not have to hook wires from my blackberry to my car radio on a date.

Why can't I find this in the shop? Are the pre-orders over?
    02-22-08 08:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD