08-04-11 10:16 PM
65 123
tools
    Yeah you are right, I didn't mean to offend Mike and Jim like that.
    Let me make one thing very, very clear: I do not like Steve Jobs at all. BUT, he DOES know how to market the products he brings to market. RIM's CEO's can't market well, AND they can't even MAKE a product that the average consumer wants more than RIM's competitor's products. That's two strikes against RIM. Lastly, RIM is in denial--strike three.
    07-25-11 01:38 PM
    Anyone who could have thought an HD screen, camera, or mp3 player on the phone would be a good idea.
    I don't understand... BBs have all of these... Camera and mp3 before the iPhone was even released.

And why hasn't Mike shown is that drive and ambition over the past 3-4 years? We've seen far more stubbornness and denial of the direction that market was/is headed, than anything else.
    You read too much BGR. Wait until these OS7 devices are released, RIM knows what they are doing.

Let me make one thing very, very clear: I do not like Steve Jobs at all. BUT, he DOES know how to market the products he brings to market. RIM's CEO's can't market well, AND they can't even MAKE a product that the average consumer wants more than RIM's competitor's products. That's two strikes against RIM. Lastly, RIM is in denial--strike three.
    I will agree with you on your 1st point, about the marketing. Your second and third points are subjective, but you are entitled to your own opinion.
    Last edited by 01itr; 07-25-11 at 01:42 PM.
    07-25-11 01:39 PM
    I don't understand... BBs have all of these... Camera and mp3 before the iPhone was even released.

You read too much BGR. Wait until these OS7 devices are released, RIM knows what they are doing.

I will agree with you on your 1st point, about the marketing. Your second and third points are subjective, but you are entitled to your own opinion.

If their idea was to lose market share, lay off workers, and have their stock fall into the basement, then yes, you are right.

I can't even argue this anymore.
    psufan32 and scorpiodsu like this.
    07-25-11 01:44 PM
    Looks like today is another day that everyone gets to repeat all the old negatives about RIM. Saying it all again and again doesn't make it any more true.
    RIM is a company that obtained massive growth, the market caught up and for now is beyond. The transition that RIM is in right now is entirely needed. We on the outside see it as doom. On the inside its been in the works for a long time and part of a larger business plan. Moving manufacturing to more cost competitive markets like the competition did a long time ago is only one aspect.
    To the people that believe the inovations at RIM have stopped, your a bit off. They have been copied! The success of apple and android is not in dispute, they were giant internet companies during the invention of the smartphone, They simply took there resources and placed them into the new market. People like to say that Android is killing RIM or the same of apple. Their market share is growing at a lightning pace for sure, most coming from the feature phone market. The fact that RIM is still the most profitable company in Canada and one of the most profitable in the fortune 500 is a clear statement of it strength against such powerfull competition.
    We all know what RIM has to do to stay alive. Fact is there doing it. Like it or not thats what were seeing today. The fog into the transition will lift, at that time I believe we will like what we see.
    01itr likes this.
    07-25-11 01:55 PM
    Job cuts are sometimes inevitable. I hope this means RIM will be leaner & meaner (to competitors) now.
    07-25-11 02:00 PM
    If their idea was to lose market share, lay off workers, and have their stock fall into the basement, then yes, you are right.

I can't even argue this anymore.
    Sorry, I meant moving forward. Oh they no doubt made huge mistakes in the past, there is no excuse for the past few years of device launches. What I'm saying is, RIM has learned from their mistakes, and I strongly believe they will come out of this a much better company.
    07-25-11 02:17 PM
    Cutting jobs happens to companies regardless of what they do or make. I hope they're removing the slackers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-25-11 08:03 PM
    Wow! 2,000 RIM jobs. That must be a pain in the rear end.
    brucep1 and 01itr like this.
    07-25-11 10:29 PM
    I wonder if they axed those employees who wrote the open letter to RIM?

07-26-11 02:55 PM
    I would suspect that the fact they are opening 2 new manufacturing locations we can expect that a portion of these Jobs will be lost across the 3 current manufacturing locations, And we've already seen 200 or so Employee's let go
    Agreed ! the company has to make cuts and the people making the lousy decisions stay on while the lowest on the totem pole get axed. The idiots stay on safely ensconced in their offices loosing complete touch with what really needs to be done to make the company efficient.
    olblueyez likes this.
    07-26-11 05:38 PM
    I should add that, as a Blackberry fan of many years, I'm not at all surprised by this announcement. When a company forgets the products that got them to the top in the first place, then there's no place to go but down. My 9550 is growing mold on it, I've been waiting so long. RIM put so many of their resources into the PB, they completely forgot phones.

I'm hoping, against all odds, that they will eventually return to the market, but by then, I--and so man others--will have jumped ship to something on the Android (hopefully, nothing less). I simply do not want to, I like the BB system.
    07-26-11 06:55 PM
    The recession has really damaged the whole economy which led to the job cutoffs more and more companies are cutting jobs while there are other better ways to handle these problems rather that cutting jobs.
    08-04-11 09:27 AM
    Company must go for another option rather then cutting jobs.
    08-04-11 09:31 AM
    Cutting jobs happens to companies regardless of what they do or make. I hope they're removing the slackers.

This is fantasy land bull****.

I guess you will try and tell us all diamonds are white in color as well.
    08-04-11 11:17 AM
    Besides cutting 2000 people. If some are engineers, put some on the hardware team and some on the software team.
    08-04-11 10:16 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD