Actually, you may be surprised about the battery life. I didn't see a big difference in battery life switching from a Storm 2 to a Droid X. And what seemed like a comically big screen a year ago - 4.3 inches - looks OK to me now and comes in handy for many things. If RIM makes one with QNX, it would look fantastic to me!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Exactly. I agree. And not just Netflix, movies or WatchESPN.
    Buzz_Dengue likes this.
    08-01-11 08:45 PM
    I've said it before I'll say it again, I'll believe these "superphone" rumors when I see it. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a QNX phone I'm just afraid that the transition to QNX is going to be rough.
    I believe the rumors, but the one thing I'm not sure about is when it'll be released.

I can see it being pushed back to Q2 easily. I think the best case scenario for this phone is that it'll make a Q1 release, but it'll be at the very tail end of Q1 (ie. mid to late March). That's 7 months away (6 months if they pull off a miracle and release in February) - in the meantime Apple will have the iPhone 5 out and there'll be plenty of Anroid phones out before then. This really illustrates how far behind RIM is. The only chance they have is to knock it out of the park with the release - anything less will be a disaster.
    08-01-11 08:52 PM
    Reading emails on a 4.3 gives me a sense of how blessed I am. I love it!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-11 10:12 PM
    It will probably suffer the same fate as the playbook, because there are no apps for QNX.

QNX needs more apps!!
    08-01-11 11:53 PM
    It will probably suffer the same fate as the playbook, because there are no apps for QNX.

QNX needs more apps!
    There are not enough apps right now, but with the ones coming out, the ndk coming, the android player coming, the phones should not suffer in the same way, it is almost like part of the plan with playbook was to sort this stuff for the phones.

As far as 4.3" screens, I personally don't think the current ones offer enough over 3.7"/4" models as you are just getting a bigger and bulkier device without any increase in resolution. The nextgen of 4.3" screens will be far more interesting since those will be offering things like 1280x720 and you'd gain resolution without sacrificing pixel density.
    Buzz_Dengue likes this.
    08-02-11 04:35 AM
    I think 4.3" would be great. I've gone from the Torch's 3.2", to the Desire Z's 3.7", and now to the Atrix's 4"..and my next one will definately be 4.3" (or bigger if they have them). I do alot of e-reading, and a bigger screen makes it much more enjoyable. I've eliminated the need for a Kindle and a Tablet (and in most of what I do..a laptop) with my phone. The next iphone is rumoured to be 4", and imo if RIM comes out with anything less than 4" they are going to be dead in the water with it..QNX or not.

My only real concern will be RIM's definition of "superphone"..and how they plan on implementing QNX on it. Pretty much anything QNX has to offer I can already do currently (flash, multi-tasking, desktop browsing etc)..and their visual eye candy version of multi-tasking (playing a video on one tab while a game runs in the other) wouldn't go over to well on a 4" screen (i dont' think). By now..everyone (not still using a BB) is used to "superphones"..so by the time RIM drops their version..will it be enough? Let's hope they got something cool up their sleeve!
    08-02-11 07:41 AM
    I have been using my playbook so much I dont see a need for that size screen. Just keep my phone secure and i,m happy
    08-02-11 08:03 AM
    They need to remove the word "phone" from these 4.3" monsters!

yes Bluetooth is used more and more, but I just can't fathom holding a 180g+ device to my head for extended periods of time.
    08-02-11 08:31 AM
    Financial crisis? They have $3 bil in the bank and no debt. I want to have that kind of a "crisis".
    When their stock tumbled over the last year billions in investor wealth including company owned shares was lost.
    08-02-11 08:55 AM
    I've said it before I'll say it again, I'll believe these "superphone" rumors when I see it. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a QNX phone I'm just afraid that the transition to QNX is going to be rough.
    I don't think it will be as rough as you might think....

Honestly I see the PlayBook as QNX Beta, where RIM (at the expense of us the consumer of course ) can test out and work out the issues or bugs with QNX OS and see what needs to be done to put it into a working phone model with everything intact.

This "superphone" with QNX is huge as it marks a massive transition from the old BlackBerry OS to RIM's future. I'd hope that RIM wants it to be a transition in which people remember it years down the road as one that was much needed but met with great success and not one where it allowed for RIM's shrinking market share in the US for new, full-featured smartphone owners.

We'll see of course, but this phone (IMO) will be the most important thing to come out of Waterloo in years and could really make it or break it for the comeback of the RIMpire.
    01itr likes this.
    08-02-11 09:52 AM
    ever since i got my PB i dont touch my phone so i dont have much care about any new phones.... espitally how im in a CDMA only network so this superphone idea wont work here anyway.
    08-02-11 11:10 AM
    ever since i got my PB i dont touch my phone so i dont have much care about any new phones.... espitally how im in a CDMA only network so this superphone idea wont work here anyway.
    Agreeed, but i would love to be able to use my PB as a speaker phone for the BB.

As far as ditiching a "bigger" PB that is just rumor. My understanding is that it is still in the works, just may not be before the QNX BB.
    08-02-11 11:22 AM
    4.3"? Ridiculous. 4.0" at the most. But unfortunately RIM isn't trying to cater to us loyalists, they're trying to win back those who think those 4.0"+ Android and iOS devices are best. It's a different market... I just hope they don't abandon the Bold form factor in pursuit of this superphone with the gigantic screen.
    08-02-11 02:47 PM
    4.3"? Ridiculous. 4.0" at the most. But unfortunately RIM isn't trying to cater to us loyalists, they're trying to win back those who think those 4.0"+ Android and iOS devices are best. It's a different market... I just hope they don't abandon the Bold form factor in pursuit of this superphone with the gigantic screen.
    For the record, I think that RIM should continue the Bold line. It would be foolish not to.

Still, keep in mind that when a company reassesses priorities and diversifies output, it need not necessarily abandon what it does best. Hopefully, RIM can figure out how to reward the loyalist and be even more relevant to "outsiders."
    08-02-11 03:31 PM
    Qwerty candybar /bold form factor is everything for rim. Any other form factor never sell as well as bolds..so it will stay. We still don't know if rim can make a successful touchscreen after 2 storms.
    The torch slider is a relative success and the hardware is good, so torch slider 2 should have a bigger samoled screen, maybe 3.7" slider..just to be competitive.
    08-02-11 05:49 PM
    Financial crisis? They have $3 bil in the bank and no debt. I want to have that kind of a "crisis".
    Heh, while 3 bil might be a lot to you, in the world of multinational tech companies it's nothing. And their stock price is dropping like a brick.

RIM is the Myspace of the smartphone world.
    08-02-11 10:41 PM
    RIM playing catch up again. I've seen those specs and better before somewhere, oh wait my EVO 3D. I was waiting for the 9930 but to little to late.
    08-02-11 11:16 PM
    I have to say that 4 inch is the sweet spot to me. The term monster does not apply. My phone weighs 4.8 oz, is thin and highly pocketable. My Storm2 was heavier in feel and felt bigger. I was waiting for RIM to release such a phone, and hope they do. My battery life also rocks, and I think RIM can do this and keep a respectable battery life if HTC did for my phone.

It would sell like hotcakes. I always saw BB users in two groups, BB people wanting the keyboard and BB people who want a touchscreen. Those who want a touchscreen want a nice sized one in my experience. I wanted that and a light weight.
    Buzz_Dengue likes this.
    08-03-11 04:15 AM
    I would jump at a 4.3" BB. Since I use a bluetooth with voice-dialing and a belt holster, the size only matters when I'm surfing the web.
    08-03-11 06:38 AM
    Blackberry ignores this size format at its own peril as that is where the consumer market is going. Doesn't mean they will abandon the Bold format.
    Last edited by blackmoe; 08-03-11 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Edited last sentence for clarity.
    08-03-11 10:01 AM
    Blackberry ignores this size format at its own peril as that is where the consumer market is going. Doesn't mean they have to abandon the Bold format either.
    They say that the first QNX phone could be a 4.3" full touch phone. This doesn't mean RIM will suddenly stop supporting the Bold line. OS7 will be supported for at least a couple of years, and that is where the Bold line will be until they have a QNX OS that is able to be used effectively on that form factor.
    08-03-11 10:05 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD