RIM Could Be Preparing A 4.3" Superphone
    Chethan Rao
    , Jun 30, 2011 1038 hrs IST

Reports suggest that the company will be ditching the 10.1" PlayBook for the alleged "superphone".

It is a general opinion that RIM has been slow in embracing the latest technology with its BlackBerry handsets. The company has only slightly revamped the design and user interface of its recent products. It's also currently suffering from a financial crisis, which resulted in a few employees getting laid off this month. Nevertheless, RIM has set out to change all that with its new generation of BlackBerry handsets. With the introduction of the BlackBerry OS 7, RIM has shown some promise. There are a couple of handsets lined up for launch, such as the Bold 9900 with which the manufacturer hopes to get back into the game.

Meanwhile, RIM tried its luck in the tablet industry with the BlackBerry PlayBook, which is a 7" tablet based on the BlackBerry Tablet OS, but it failed to impress. Shortly after the launch, rumors about a 10.1" successor to the PlayBook started making the rounds. The Canadian business phone manufacturer has been looking for an opportunity that could turn its fortune around. However, new reports suggest that the company has dumped plans for the new tablet and is actually thinking of a smartphone based on the same 1.2 GHz processor like the Bold 9900.

This new handset is said to feature a 4.3" touchscreen display and will apparently be based on QNX. I've never seen a display bigger than 3.25" on a BlackBerry device, but then, there is always a first time. I'm not quite sure if this info is to be believed, but according to the source, the info available is genuine. It is also said that this handset could have a display resolution of "900+" - I have no idea what that means.

Maybe this is what RIM needs to up its game in the market. There is no mention of a launch date or even a codename for the alleged "superphone". If this rumor turns out to be true, I think it may be time for the competition to start worrying a bit.

RIM Could Be Preparing A 4.3" Superphone
    08-01-11 03:11 PM
    4.3" screen would mean RIM "keeping up with the Jones". Personally I think such a screen is too big.
    08-01-11 03:19 PM
    Financial crisis? They have $3 bil in the bank and no debt. I want to have that kind of a "crisis".
    08-01-11 03:24 PM
    see how the second line says
    "Chethan Rao, Jun 30, 2011 1038 hrs IST"

that means this is OLD news, and has already been discussed on CB.
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    08-01-11 03:25 PM
    i personally also think the screen is too big but it would be a good move for RIM since other manufacturers are having good sales with these big devices. Whatever need to be done to get RIM back on the map better happen soon..
    08-01-11 03:26 PM
    4.3" screen would mean RIM "keeping up with the Jones". Personally I think such a screen is too big.
    ... not sure what is 'too big'... what is the ideal size?

I personally hate trying to read "War and Peace" through a cheese grater... but then again, that's how I ended up with a Storm2... it is more of that "unintended consequences" thing...
    08-01-11 03:26 PM
    4.3" is too big in my opinion. I really hope they stick with the 3.7" of the Monaco/Monza. I've never had an iPhone but even at 3.5", it doesn't seem to be bothering people.

I even get along with the 3.2" screen of my 9550.
    chiefbroski likes this.
    08-01-11 03:29 PM
    When I used a BB, I swore I would never get a device with a 4+" screen. Then I tried one.

It's not for everyone, but it works for me. In fact, since I do ebooks, it has helped me resist the urge to get a tablet.

I don't ever see myself going smaller. If RIM does this, and puts up some good specs and gets the dev community on board, I will seriously consider such a device.

Sadly, rumors can be hard to bottle...
    08-01-11 03:36 PM
    I personally like 4 inch, but I would get a 4.3" for this phone. It will be coming Q1.... can't wait!
    08-01-11 04:57 PM
    Financial crisis? They have $3 bil in the bank and no debt. I want to have that kind of a "crisis".
    If these were the only facts relevant to RIM's position their stock price would be higher.
    08-01-11 05:00 PM
    If these were the only facts relevant to RIM's position their stock price would be higher.
    Apart from the fact that those "facts" aren't entirely accurate too.
    08-01-11 05:54 PM
    4" strikes the right balance
    08-01-11 06:12 PM
    I have a 5" Dell Streak and love it as a pocket tablet. But... yeah it's too big to be a phone.

I think RIM should steal the Atrix concept as a lot of people would eat that up with the right horsepower on board.
    08-01-11 06:12 PM
    I've said it before I'll say it again, I'll believe these "superphone" rumors when I see it. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a QNX phone I'm just afraid that the transition to QNX is going to be rough.
    08-01-11 06:36 PM
    My wife has an Android phone with a 4.3 screen and I have to say it's nice. I haven't really used it much but she thinks it's great. If RIM comes out with one I'll use here for awhile to see if it's for me. The one downside of a phone this big is the weight.

I'll be more than happy to trade places with them whenever they want.
    08-01-11 06:45 PM
    I would prefer a screen smaller than 4.3" to me it would be too big to be comfortably carried in the pocket and too big to be carried on a belt clip. Sometimes bigger is not always better. Just my .02
    08-01-11 07:16 PM
    I played with the Samsung Galaxy S II. It's the first time I have held a phone with that size of a screen (4.3" I believe). When I heard of a phone that big I thought it was huge, but it wasn't. It was awesome. If they made a phone with a screen that size I think it could do quite well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-11 07:18 PM
    The battery life on a phone this size will be a disappointment.
    08-01-11 07:19 PM
    The battery life on a phone this size will be a disappointment.
    I don't think they would put it out if it was. But that's just a guess.

M.Rizk likes this.
    08-01-11 07:25 PM
    Actually, you may be surprised about the battery life. I didn't see a big difference in battery life switching from a Storm 2 to a Droid X. And what seemed like a comically big screen a year ago - 4.3 inches - looks OK to me now and comes in handy for many things. If RIM makes one with QNX, it would look fantastic to me!

08-01-11 07:26 PM
    It's a slippery slope though. Storm 2 was pretty ordinary wasn't it? I know the biggest complaint (just about the only one) for Galaxy S II owners is the battery life. They may surprise though. QNX is an unknown at the moment.
    08-01-11 07:29 PM
    I use dell streak at 5". The biggest there is. Can read, browse, email, without squinting at holding the phone 2inches from your face.
    Using it, i eliminate the need of using torch and playbook.
    08-01-11 07:33 PM
    Large screens: The Hummer of the deficient tech nerd population.
    08-01-11 07:46 PM
    Small screen: honda civic for the masses
    08-01-11 08:27 PM
    To kevinnugent's point: Sorta, but both get through a day with moderate-to-heavy use. (I always carry a spare battery and keep a charger at work, too.) I was surprised by the X - I thought it would be dead by lunch and that wasn't true at all. So I wouldn't shy away from a 4 inch or 4.3 inch QNX device - they may not be everyone's thing but they can be fun and still practical.

Edit: BTW, I'm not Android-trolling - I love RIM's stuff and my next phone will be a BB. I'm just holding out for QNX!
    Last edited by enb123; 08-01-11 at 08:51 PM.
    08-01-11 08:45 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD