In a conversation with CTIA's Rob Mesirow earlier today, we've learned that RIM will factor prominently into the trade organization's Enterprise & Applications show this year, scheduled for October 9th through the 11th in San Diego. Rob notes that RIM is moving toward its enterprise roots, and he believes that makes the show a good fit for a big BlackBerry presence. It's not just about an impressive booth on the exhibit floor, though — Mesirow says that the CTIA is "hopeful" that they'll secure the company for a keynote address. The fortuitous timing of the show is hard to ignore: RIM is expected to release its first BlackBerry 10 smartphone later this year, and a spotlight at an enterprise-focused mobile event could be seen as the right place to make a debut.

It's notable that RIM CEO Thorsten Heins has recently joined the CTIA's board of directors — a board long occupied by former co-CEOs Jim Balsillie and Mike Lazaridis, Mesirow notes — so it's clear that the company intends to take the organization seriously. Whether that ultimately translates to a big hardware debut at a show normally dominated by software and services, though, remains to be seen.
    RIM could keynote CTIA show in October, good timing for BlackBerry 10 launch | The Verge
    Last edited by sf49ers; 05-08-12 at 06:22 PM.
    05-08-12 06:19 PM
    The only word i have for this is: Wow!

*Goosebumps*
    05-08-12 06:27 PM
    I really hope RIM is bearing in mind that anything later than yesterday is already too late.
    June, July or September would be better timing than October.
    "Later 2012" might prove too late.
    05-08-12 06:34 PM
    Hmmmm, a chance to release BB10 on the 10th day of the 10th month.....
    jordandrews90 likes this.
    05-08-12 06:39 PM
    2010? Hehe
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    05-08-12 06:43 PM
    I really hope RIM is bearing in mind that anything later than yesterday is already too late.
    Although their current offering - BBOS7 - is losing momentum (from what wasn't really a great head of steam in the first place), I would MUCH rather they didn't rush to deployment of BB10 until everything is as close to perfect as it can be.

It's pointless launching a less than amazing new product (even if they say: "we'll release software updates soon", because few people believe RIM when they say that anymore) because they'll get hammered by the bloggers, the press, the trolls, etc...

It would be far better for RIM to go to market with a new phone which everyone (or at least a large number of people) can say: "Damn that thing is great" or "That's a sexy phone", or "That OS runs circles around...", or simply positive things, instead of the cr*p comments we've had to put up with over the past 2 years or so.

I want, in fact I must have, a new BB10 phone when it's released... But I also want (almost as much as the BB10 device itself) for RIM to hit the ball SO FAR out of the park with BB10, that it will take the resurrection of Jobs himself for even huge iFans not to be impressed.

Thankfully, from what I've read, Thorsten seems to believe the same things about launching the product as me (well maybe not about the resurrection thing, but the rest )

Don't make BB10 just good, don't make it just great, but make it f*cking awesomely mind blowing!!!

Si.
    Last edited by simu31; 05-08-12 at 07:13 PM.
    drjay868, yauchunh and sf49ers like this.
    05-08-12 07:10 PM
    RIM release BB10 in JUNE... this guy says 'BB10 is rushed and RIM is dead'

lol.

Also, RIM stock will go down tomorrow because of this positive news.
    05-08-12 07:12 PM
    Anyone know when RIM first officially announce BBX/BB10 as the next BB OS?
    05-08-12 07:15 PM
    Anyone know when RIM first officially announce BBX/BB10 as the next BB OS?
    I'm pretty sure they already announced BB10 (BBX was dropped as a name) as the next (and new) OS last year.

They also had that little get together in Florida last week... what was it called again.. oh yeah: BlackBerry World and BlackBerry 10 Jam

I'm pretty sure we can guarantee that BlackBerry 10 is the name of the next OS.

Si.
    05-08-12 08:15 PM
    30 days, 45 days, 60 days. Honestly in the real world it makes no difference. If BB10 is a great products, if the hardware looks great, and the marketing is great bb10 will be a success.
    Chrisy and Stewartj1 like this.
    05-08-12 08:19 PM
    I'm pretty sure they already announced BB10 (BBX was dropped as a name) as the next (and new) OS last year.

They also had that little get together in Florida last week... what was it called again.. oh yeah: BlackBerry World and BlackBerry 10 Jam

I'm pretty sure we can guarantee that BlackBerry 10 is the name of the next OS.

Si.
    Was just trying to find out when the next BB OS was officially announced. More specfically, was looking for a date. I don't really follow BB Jam or World as far as when/where they are held, and I thought maybe RIM announced the new BB OS before their JAM/World event.

And, I know BBX is no longer used, but when the new OS was announced, I am sure it was called BBX(just not sure when), hence the BBX / BB10.

But thanks for the help...
    05-08-12 08:21 PM
    Doubt it. DevCon America is also around the same time. Last year (2011) it was in October. The year before that it was late September.

So I'm pretty sure they will unleash BB10 at DevCon.
    05-08-12 10:27 PM
    Regarding the OP. I too believe that RIM should release BB10 when it is nearly perfect but I just wonder how much Mr Heins (and Shareholders) will permit the revenue to "haemorrhage". Ultimate, Heins will have to answer to the Company's shareholders who are more short-term than long-term focused. This may force Heins to release BB10 earlier than he is currently anticipating.
    Last edited by jechow; 05-08-12 at 11:13 PM.
    05-08-12 11:11 PM
    It is a real pleasure to read a thread without BB haters...
    Chrisy and Stewartj1 like this.
    05-08-12 11:55 PM
    I really hope they launch the first BB10 device in Aug - Sept and announce the full qwerty BB10 device at CTIA for a Dec release.
    sturgie likes this.
    05-09-12 12:21 AM
    Doubt it. DevCon America is also around the same time. Last year (2011) it was in October. The year before that it was late September.

CTIA is a MUCH bigger audience than DevCon. It would be foolish to pass over CTIA to release to devs.
    drjay868 likes this.
    05-09-12 06:43 AM
    30 days, 45 days, 60 days. Honestly in the real world it makes no difference. If BB10 is a great products, if the hardware looks great, and the marketing is great bb10 will be a success.
    I agree with this. Even a November release BB10 is in line with the other platforms and slightly better.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    05-09-12 06:52 AM
    ctia is a much bigger audience than devcon. It would be foolish to pass over ctia to release to devs.
    yahtzee!!!
    05-09-12 03:47 PM
    CTIA is a MUCH bigger audience than DevCon. It would be foolish to pass over CTIA to release to devs.
    Oh we shall see Mr. Sith. We shall see.
    05-09-12 05:38 PM
    Oh we shall see Mr. Sith. We shall see.
    I am personally routing for an early release, sometime in September, but that is likely a pipe dream.
    05-10-12 05:56 AM
    I agree with this. Even a November release BB10 is in line with the other platforms and slightly better.
    If the pre-Release marketing is done right, a Nov date could still see good Christmas sales even though there will be 30 days less hands on.

I really think once the general public gets to see what this product can do first hand it will really sell.

It's up to marketing to lay the ground work by overcoming all the negative perceptions about BlackBerry.
    05-11-12 09:13 PM
    I agree that CTIA is a WAY BIGGER Venue....but as it's not BB specific their announcement could get somewhat swallowed up by other announcements from other competitors.

......But your right...Releasing BB10 @ Devcon isn't the best either,,,,,They have some hard decisions to make at RIM...
    mithrazor likes this.
    05-12-12 12:31 PM

I would bet that it wont launch at BB Jam in September, DevCon has been renamed BB Jam as far as can be told, and at BB Jam in Florida it was asking in a survey how many planned to attend the next Jam event in September.

I very much expect BB Jam September will be an event full of devAlpha's running FULL BlackBerry 10, and trouble shooting, unconferencing, and promoting tips, a keynote getting people READY for the launch. but no launch at the event, it just isn't meant for that, RIM needs more dev focus less press focus at the event
    05-12-12 01:16 PM
    I don't fully agree. Time is of essence. The best time to release is NOW, followed buy a less optimal AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Having said that, I think it is better to get it right than to get it out now in an incomplete form. RIM should tidy up its ecosystem and let the device create mindshare on its own merits.
    05-12-12 02:12 PM
    I would bet that it wont launch at BB Jam in September, DevCon has been renamed BB Jam as far as can be told, and at BB Jam in Florida it was asking in a survey how many planned to attend the next Jam event in September.

I very much expect BB Jam September will be an event full of devAlpha's running FULL BlackBerry 10, and trouble shooting, unconferencing, and promoting tips, a keynote getting people READY for the launch. but no launch at the event, it just isn't meant for that, RIM needs more dev focus less press focus at the event
    Not like they can't do both like they've done before. Hold a press event and also a dev event. Gets the media happy, and gets the dev's happy.

Just look at this past BBWorld. Worked wonderful for them.
    05-13-12 12:35 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD