BlackBerry maker Research in Motion has confessed to being the orchestrator behind those embarrassing protests staged outside Apple retail stores in Melbourne and Sydney, Australia.

The marketing stunt saw a coach-load of people dressed in black pull up outside the Apple store with signs that read “Wake Up.” The group then proceeded to chant at customers and employees inside the store, and the news quickly made its way around the web.

It was initially believed that Samsung may have organized the protest as part of its promotion for its upcoming Galaxy S III smartphone. However, yesterday it was revealed that the Wake Up Australia website was actually linked to RIM.

This morning the Canadian company has owned up:

“We can confirm that the Australian ‘Wake Up’ campaign, which involves a series of experiential activities taking place across Sydney and Melbourne, was created by RIM Australia.”

The stunt is actually part of RIM’s promotion for BlackBerry OS 10, the company’s next major release of the BlackBerry operating system, which is set to get its unveiling on May 7, according to the countdown on the Wake Up Australia website.

Are you looking forward to BlackBerry OS 10?
    Source: TechnoBuffalo
    05-01-12 07:16 AM
    LOL. Good on RIM. Yeah, yeah, promoting another company, who cares? Get in, get dirty, make a mark, get out. Looks like RIM is serious.
    elibohnert likes this.
    05-01-12 07:26 AM
    Where is the link where RIM admits this?
    jordandrews90 and elibohnert like this.
    05-01-12 07:27 AM
    Really, RIM did this

That was Bold

A May 7th BB10 OS unveiling...
    elibohnert likes this.
    05-01-12 07:39 AM
    Cool. It's something different at least and it got people talking.
    elibohnert likes this.
    05-01-12 08:41 AM
    I am embarrassed that RIM is doing something unprofessional like this, makes them desperate!
    Sigh
    05-01-12 09:01 AM
    Cool. It's something different at least and it got people talking.
    Exactly. It's different, it's harmless, and it already appears to have generated more chatter than even the best-crafted conventional ads could. This is not desperation -- it's thinking outside the box. While I can see how Apple fans might take exception, I love it.
    05-01-12 09:09 AM
    I don't take exception, I think it was a clever move that has generated some discussion.

It remains to be seen what they back it up with on the 7th, hopefully it's something good or they'll just look like idiots.
    05-01-12 09:19 AM
    I like it. Samsung has commercials similar, where apple iSheep are in line for something and take notice of a Samsung device.
    05-01-12 09:47 AM
    Absolutely love it. So different from the old RIM. Brings out the message loud and clear. Quite some marketing thoughts behind it and you need to be bold to pull this stunt....knowing how lawsuit-happy apple can be and they got tons of cash.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    05-01-12 09:59 AM
    OK. But what is the clock counting down to then since we know bb10 isn't coming out for some time? I'm all for stunts like this, but you have to be able to back them up.
    scorpiodsu and eth555 like this.
    05-01-12 10:12 AM
    I am embarrassed that RIM is doing something unprofessional like this, makes them desperate!
    Sigh
    I agree. It's tacky, classless, and an embarrassment.

I think I'd prefer the Be Bold ads - attack ads only make me want to support the company being attacked. That goes for anything.

So RIM hired bullies for marketers. Great.

Sent from mah braiiiiinzzzz using
    Tapatalk
    Last edited by reeneebob; 05-01-12 at 10:18 AM.
    05-01-12 10:16 AM
    another sign that RIM is concentrating on the pacific rather than the US.
    05-01-12 10:19 AM
    Personally i didnt like it when i thought it was samsung, still dont like it.
    avt123, reeneebob and eth555 like this.
    05-01-12 10:56 AM
    MEh... At first i thought it was dumb whoever did it, but seeing all the press it got made me change my mind a bit..

Don't know they are launching in AU.. Maybe the LTE playbook? Ie LTE that works in AU?
    milhouse999 likes this.
    05-01-12 11:15 AM
    I am confused. Whats happening May 7th? Didnt BB10 already get revealed today?
    05-01-12 11:16 AM
    The only message this kind of stunt sends is that the only company that matters is Apple. How pathetic is it that RIM has to go to an Apple Store to get noticed. They are chanting, "Wake up" to people who did just that, and ditched their Berry.

Trust me, there is a such thing as bad press. RIM has mastered the art.
    Shlooky and Maliberti like this.
    05-01-12 11:17 AM
    I like it. Samsung has commercials similar, where apple iSheep are in line for something and take notice of a Samsung device.
    Yeah but the biggest difference is that Samsung has products out now that can compete with iOS devices. RIM is telling people to wake up and uh do what? Wait until later this year to buy a OS 10 device? Come on now. I don't mind what they did, just looks kind of silly when you really have nothing NOW that can compete.
    PhilliesKP and Maliberti like this.
    05-01-12 11:20 AM
    MEh... At first i thought it was dumb whoever did it, but seeing all the press it got made me change my mind a bit..

Don't know they are launching in AU.. Maybe the LTE playbook? Ie LTE that works in AU?
    Since when has LTE sold products? The #1 Android tablet that outsells all other Android tablets combined is the Kindle Fire. Before the New iPad, the #1 selling tablet, and smartphone for that matter, had no LTE anywhere.

Now, LTE in Australia is supposed to change the fortunes of the PB? I don't think so.
    05-01-12 11:22 AM
    After watching the keynote for BBW this stunt is, IMO, great. Context is important

BB10 is the real deal
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    05-01-12 11:30 AM
    After watching the keynote for BBW this stunt is, IMO, great. Context is important

BB10 is the real deal
    Will be the real deal. Right now it isn't anything because it isn't GA'd.
    anon(3896606) and PhilliesKP like this.
    05-01-12 11:34 AM
    Can't believe some people still support this sort of dumb stunt.. it is really embarrassing..
    Shlooky and PhilliesKP like this.
    05-01-12 11:37 AM

BB10 is the real deal
    BB10 is vaporware. RIM has tried to make it abundantly clear that they will not be showing us what BB10 will actually look like on hardware that is NOT what the final hardware will be like.

What they have said is that this stunt is about corporate Australia. Oh, joy.
    05-01-12 11:38 AM
    I still don't see anywhere that it says RIM was responsible for this..
    604778 likes this.
    05-01-12 01:08 PM
    cheaper to get others to advertise this kind of "event"

What did it cost? couple of cases ofd beer??

They weren't paying much based on some of the unethusiastic people in the crowd.

oh well. (dont even think about complaining about my spelling - cause I dont care)
    05-01-12 01:13 PM
376 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD