RIM Chief Fires Back Over Data Demands - WSJ.com

Glad they're finally getting in front of this. Newest to the list (after UAE and Saudi Arabia) is Indonesia (Indonesia May Challenge BlackBerry - WSJ.com).
    08-05-10 09:30 AM
    Amen!!! Fire back and cut them off!
    08-05-10 09:34 AM
    Even though I'm still mad at you mike, I like the comment " if they don't understand the internet, they should shut it Down" hahahahahh

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-10 10:18 AM
    I didn't realize that the European Commission was not happy with RIM either...

CNet - EC chooses iPhone, HTC over BlackBerry

When it rains....
    08-05-10 11:14 AM
    Although Mr. Lazaridis said RIM wouldn't compromise the security of its products, he acknowledged the company would have to cooperate with authorities if handed a court order to do a lawful intercept of a person's communications.

"I would give them the encrypted stream," he said. "It would have to be like a wiretap."
    Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To amend title 18, United States Code, to make clear a telecommunications carrier's duty to cooperate in the interception of communications for Law Enforcement purposes, and for other purposes. ...

The U.S. Congress passed the CALEA to aid law enforcement in its effort to conduct criminal investigations requiring wiretapping of digital telephone networks. The Act obliges telecommunications companies to make it possible for law enforcement agencies to tap any phone conversations carried out over its networks, as well as making call detail records available. The act stipulates that it must not be possible for a person to detect that his or her conversation is being monitored by the respective government agency.

Common carriers, facilities-based broadband Internet access providers, and providers of interconnected Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) service – all three types of entities are defined to be “telecommunications carriers” and must meet the requirements of CALEA.

humm... Are manufactures exempt?

Originally CALEA only granted the ability to wiretap digital telephone networks, but in 2004, the United States Department of Justice (DOJ), Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), and Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) filed a joint petition with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to expand their powers to include the ability to monitor VoIP and broadband internet communications -- so that they could monitor Web traffic as well as phone calls.
    By 2004, the encryption protocols were already deeply embedded in the BlackBerry products. Nothing, in Canadian Law, required them to provide a back door. According to Mike Lazaridis, they didn't.

08-05-10 11:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD