06-07-12 12:38 PM
63 123
tools
    RIM CEO Thorsten Heins Continues to Refuse Outright Sale

Research in Motion (RIM) and its once world-leading BlackBerry brand in a state of decline the likes of which experts and consumers alike are convinced will prove fatal. Having once had tens of millions of loyal devotees at its feet and made the whole of Canada proud with its revolutionary BlackBerry products, RIM is now valued at just 1% of Apples total market worth.
    In turn, calls are increasing for RIM to consider an outright sale of its operations in order to bring the current spiral to an end in an instant, which is a very real possibility. However, whether in an example of showboating or misled optimism, CEO Thorsten Heins seems to have little intention of doing so in the near future at least, despite key investors continually urging the matter be brought into consideration.
    Early last week, RIM announced that an operating loss was expected for the current quarter, which is all the confirmation needed that BlackBerry sales are diminishing faster than existing worst-estimates.
    A day later, RIM share values hit their lowest levels in almost a decade topping off 93% losses since 2008.
    This was compounded by the news that thousands of layoffs are also in the pipeline, as RIM continues to favor downsizing efforts over company sale options.
    Even the notion of a patent selloff has been thrown out of contention by Heins, which is a move recently taken by AOL and returned in excess of $1 billion RIMs patents are valued at a far higher sum.
    Nevertheless, Heins remains 100% defiant in the face of biblical adversity and insists that he can indeed restore the BlackBerry name to glory RIMs BlackBerry 10 OS serving as the linchpin. The world has already been promised a revolutionary BlackBerry 10 with a stunning new OS before the end of the year.
    Unfortunately, Microsoft Windows Phone and the Nokia Lumia 900 serve as rather stark reminders that incredible devices and world-class mobile platforms do not guarantee success, therefore RIMs decisions to store all of its eggs in one BlackBerry 10 basket has led to more than a little investor concern.
    06-05-12 12:46 PM
    I'd consider this an overly-grim assessment, and I think there may be other options available.

There's some truth in the notion that no matter HOW good BB10 is, the market may not adopt it. There's a history of even technically-superior products getting hammered in the marketplace (Beta, anyone?). Even so, we're close enough to launch now that I think the company needs to give the platform a shot.

I also suspect the operational loss they're experiencing is coming from extraordinary expenses (writedowns, rebates to carriers on current stock, reserves for severance) and that even in its current state the company can likely limp on with reduced payroll.

We'll see.
    06-05-12 12:52 PM
    This Donald Masters has no idea what is actually going on in RIM. Do some actual reported instead of regurgitating the same old nonsense.
    recompile likes this.
    Good for him. These media people always know what is best to do.
    They really need to fight back against the 'impending death' fear-mongering

With prudent cost-cutting (unfortunately layoffs are part of this), they are no where near bankruptcy. The near-term risk is morre from a hostile takeover that interferes with or cancels the BB10 launch.

During the upcoming quarterly results conference they really need to put together a solid, easy to understand 'rumors of our demise are greatly exaggerated' message and trumpet that like mad in order to keep their developer morale high through to the BB10 launch and beyond. I hope they are able to thwart any hostile offers that come their way in the mean-time
    06-05-12 01:18 PM
    Nevertheless, Heins remains 100% defiant in the face of biblical adversity......

This is where I stopped taking this writer for a serious analyst. Whenever a writer uses over the top
    rhetoric such as this you know their agenda.
    06-05-12 01:37 PM
    This Donald Masters has no idea what is actually going on in RIM. Do some actual reported instead of regurgitating the same old nonsense.
    Most of them don't. The clown that wrote the 'RIM is for sale but who would buy it' article a few days ago was back today with more complete misinformation and supposition based on misguided opinions. Heins obviously believes in BB10, and is clearly working on the assumption that the potential rewards of a successful BB10 far outweigh the risks of acting now on these other extreme, last-resort alternatives.

The fact that this guy is already writing off Nokia and Windows Phone, a combination that is so far pretty well received in its very early stages, speaks volumes about his awareness of anything beyond his little laptop.

And just who are these 'key investors' demanding a sale???

SMH...
    06-05-12 01:47 PM
    I'm a key investor with my 5 or 6 shares.

I most certainly do not want management to sell. I want them to slim down and continue operations as a lean, mean communicatin machine while they rebuild the brand. With 78? million subscribers they have a nice cash flow and mostly automatic device support. They don't need much staff to maintain that subscriber base while they rebuild.
    ayekon likes this.
    06-05-12 01:56 PM
    Most of them don't. The clown that wrote the 'RIM is for sale but who would buy it' article a few days ago was back today with more complete misinformation and supposition based on misguided opinions. Heins obviously believes in BB10, and is clearly working on the assumption that the potential rewards of a successful BB10 far outweigh the risks of acting now on these other extreme, last-resort alternatives.

The fact that this guy is already writing off Nokia and Windows Phone, a combination that is so far pretty well received in its very early stages, speaks volumes about his awareness of anything beyond his little laptop.

And just who are these 'key investors' demanding a sale???

SMH...
    There is no comparison between BB10 and Windows Phone in terms of "all eggs in one basket" (or even a comparison to RIM and Nokia).

The Nokia Lumia 900 is not the only Windows Phone, nor is Nokia the only vendor selling Windows Phones.

Nokia also manufactures a lot of feature phones, so it cannot be compared to a company that only sells smartphones. Nokia's product line is more similar to Pantech or LG.

RIM also will not be discontinuing its legacy BBOS7 devices even when BB10 is released. Those will still be available in emerging markets.
    Pete6 likes this.
    06-05-12 01:58 PM
    "Key investors" urging the company to sell off the company? I wouldn't call that investing, rather, cashing out.
    06-05-12 02:00 PM
    Good. I am not in favor RIM being sold either. Anyway which bit of RIM would they sell. Handset manufacturing, the network management or, their store of patents. Hmmm. a difficult choice for a no-nothing anal-y-cyst.

[RANT]These people who write this crap are just un-f**king-believable, they really are. They read another journo's article, decide they can improve on it. Wander off into a corner with one hand below theior waist and dream up an article.

Unfortunately their editors have even less idea than their employees do so this rubbish gets published.[/RANT]

Sorry. I am just so fed up with moronic journalists that sometimes I blow up.
    06-05-12 02:01 PM
    You'd think the media would rather see a positive outcome from all of this...

Even though Thorston has talked about this a while ago. Even though RIM's actions are not one of demise but of restructuring. Even though RIM has made so much progress and has given plenty of evidence to see BB10 is real, different then what MS and Nokia offered and will indeed "change the game".

Nope, they just want to be the "first" to report RIM's demise. Lazy and misleading is all I can say.
    06-05-12 02:07 PM
    Good. I am not in favor RIM being sold either. Anyway which bit of RIM would they sell. Handset manufacturing, the network management or, their store of patents. Hmmm. a difficult choice for a no-nothing anal-y-cyst.

[RANT]These people who write this crap are just un-f**king-believable, they really are. They read another journo's article, decide they can improve on it. Wander off into a corner with one hand below theior waist and dream up an article.

Unfortunately their editors have even less idea than their employees do so this rubbish gets published.[/RANT]

Sorry. I am just so fed up with moronic journalists that sometimes I blow up.
    Wow, Pete, such an outburst is very uncharacteristic of you. But I concur on all points. It probably wouldn't bother me so much if so many people didn't swallow this chum hook, line and sinker.
    Pete6 likes this.
    06-05-12 02:09 PM
    Nevertheless, Heins remains 100% defiant in the face of biblical adversity
    I'm with AG here. For real?

Sounds like the writer was re-writing Moses. I'm all for reasonable hyperbole, but when your analysis evokes visions of Charlton Heston with a staff, you need lean back a little.
    06-05-12 02:13 PM
    Wow, Pete, such an outburst is very uncharacteristic of you. But I concur on all points. It probably wouldn't bother me so much if so many people didn't swallow this chum hook, line and sinker.
    You are right. I don't normally fly off the handle.

Even though I'm retired, I am going through some stress right now (I am trying to move from the UK to the US) and today has been a day of much activity.

I apoligize. Must try harder.

Keep Calm and Carry On .
    06-05-12 02:15 PM
    You are right. I don't normally fly off the handle.

Even though I'm retired, I am going through some stress right now (I am trying to move from the UK to the US) and today has been a day of much activity.

I apoligize. Must try harder.

Keep Calm and Carry On .
    Serenity now, serenity now...

Edit: Disclaimer--yes I am aware that this image is not the Serenity Now scene, but the one where Frank gets impaled on a fusilli Jerry, which is basically the same sensation I get when I read this kind of trash. /end disclaimer.
    Last edited by sleepngbear; 06-05-12 at 02:38 PM.
    Pete6 and hpjrt like this.
    06-05-12 02:24 PM
    Besides the writer being stupid, I just don't understand this urge for RIM to be bought out.
    Why would the CEO be stupid enough to even admit it was a consideration (whether it is
    or is not).

I bet my bottom dollar people who are working at that company are working their a$$es off
    to help better the product. Heins seems to understand the mistakes they have made in the
    past and would like to refrain from making the same mistakes over again. So instead of trying
    to build something back up, which is absolutely possible, let's just drop what we're working on
    now (BB 10), raises our arms up and throw the white flag? Man, give them a chance. I know
    the past 18 months have seemed like an eternity. But I don't think it constitutes an outright
    change. I can see where investors are coming from in this. It's for a quick dollar. But for the
    consumer this is better. More competition is better for us. Do we really want Facebook to buy
    out RIM?

Just remember, we're consumers. We CONSUME. We want more variety to choose from. It in
    no way benefits us when having an option taken away.
    Last edited by FigureThisOut; 06-05-12 at 02:42 PM.
    06-05-12 02:30 PM
    The thing that bothers me the most is their seeming dismissal of the fact that Mr. Heins walked
    into this buzzsaw. He did not create it, foster it or was in any position to fix it.

You have to give the man credit for taking on a job that almost all the media is convinced
    he will fail at all the while ignoring the many things he has done right in such a short time.
    Chrisy520 put it best in this thread. It should be required reading before any of these
    journalists (and I use that term very lightly) are allowed in front of a keyboard again.
    06-05-12 02:42 PM
    There is no comparison between BB10 and Windows Phone in terms of "all eggs in one basket" (or even a comparison to RIM and Nokia).

The Nokia Lumia 900 is not the only Windows Phone, nor is Nokia the only vendor selling Windows Phones.

Nokia also manufactures a lot of feature phones, so it cannot be compared to a company that only sells smartphones. Nokia's product line is more similar to Pantech or LG.

RIM also will not be discontinuing its legacy BBOS7 devices even when BB10 is released. Those will still be available in emerging markets.
    Right on, Laura.
    06-05-12 02:51 PM
    RIM is a global company. In many markets they're doing well an will have continued success as BB10 makes it to these markets

The Lumia is a great phone but, IMO, it doesn't stand-out

BB10 will stand-out when it launches...best HTML5, best on-screen keyboard, best multi-tasker, best email, best messenger, and surly best camera and UI

Top apps will be there at launch and the device will look sexy
    Last edited by anthogag; 06-05-12 at 03:10 PM.
    06-05-12 03:08 PM
    RIM is a global company. In many markets they're doing well an will have continued success as BB10 makes it to these markets
    That is one of RIMs biggest hurdles. The media thinks RIMs ONLY market is North America.
    They are seemingly clueless as to how well RIM is doing just about everywhere else in the world.
    ekv likes this.
    06-05-12 03:22 PM
    That is precisely why I am quite confident in RIM with BB10:

Best in class HTML5 performance.
    Best on screen keyboard.
    Best multi-tasker.
    Best for email, instant messaging, communication.
    Best UI and camera.
    Get some big name apps behind it too...

And gun it with serious $$$ spent on marketing and they are onto a winner. I'm sure Thorsten knows the saying from... Das beste oder nichts. I think it is the same going on at RIM. )
    06-05-12 03:25 PM
    It's a wicked life and what the h**l, everybody's got to eat. But why is anyone paying any attention to something called WorldNewsResource? Out of Krakow. WNR only pretends to be staffed by journalists and Masters doesn't even make that cut. I don't begrudge WNR its lively little retreading site but it galls me to see things like this passed around as "journalism". As a piece of journalism, the article is laughable. It states that "experts and consumers alike are convinced" that RIM is doomed. But Masters and WNR don't bother quoting from a single expert or consumer. Why we have trolls right here at Crackberry who would leap at the chance to take a potshot at RIM! Unsourced generalizations such as "calls are increasing" and apparently, doing anything other than a firesale liquidation is "grandstanding". It makes sense that RIM continues to move forward to recapture some of it's market share. And that would be by getting BB10 and attending devices to market and then supporting them and continuing the work to grow developer relationships. Not operating in a perpetual state of "OMG my hair's on fire! Liquidate! Liquidate! Buy me! Kill me! Quick! Quick!" Not exactly a sensible way to realize value. If RIM were to put up it's patents for sale now, it would almost certainly degrade their worth, as it would be seen in the context of desperation and stock-price driven instead of a sound business judgment. Such a strategy would be vulnerable to stock-market manipulations.

And are we kids, or what? Does anyone think that there would be no layoffs were RIM to be sold?
    zeteo likes this.
    06-05-12 03:28 PM
    All I can say is to at least give them a chance to create the potential that some of us already see and believe is possible to become something. They're in a new era of mobile. Let them make a creation to adapt. If it's great then people like myself would have an urge to switch back.
    06-05-12 03:29 PM
    Personally I'd like to see RIM get taken private to get through the transition without the daily pressure of the markets demanding Apple like growth and performance. Other than this, a buyout, or major strategic partnership is the only thing that will shut people up and give RIM the time needed to complete the transition to BB10. Quite simply the media has successfully made the names RIM and Blackberry almost toxic in NA. I'm not sure that RIM has the financial resources available to undo the damage done to their reputation by the media, and that's assuming that BB10 is perfect. They are going to need a ton of cash in advertising to make most people consider them or make it where average joe consumer goes in and says "I want a Blackberry". I have never seen so many media outlets, trolls that visit this forum, and people that post on comments sections of tech blogs that have so much hatred for company and wish for the demise of a company so much. You would think that RIM was responsible for tons of deaths due to product negligence or something given the amount of hate out there for it. I thought it would be possible for RIM with a great product to make a strong comeback, but with each day that passes I start feeling like a sale or something else will be needed just to get name RIM and Blackberry off the final product for people, other than us hardcore blackberry users at Crackberry to seriously consider it. If BB10 devices were released by Samsung and called the Galaxy S4 it would probably dominate the world.
    06-05-12 03:30 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD