AND the media! This is exactly what RIM needs right now.

Follow this link for the full article (well worth the read) http://www.informationweek.com/news/...ones/232901325

A short exerpt:
    Posted on Wednesday May 2nd at 2:00pm
    Research In Motion has a real chance of turning itself around under the leadership of Thorsten Heins. The general impression RIM's new(ish) CEO left with BlackBerry World attendees, and members of the press in particular, was a very positive one. Not only is he a man of action, but he's a man who comes across as genuine, driven, and fully aware of the fire pit in which he and Research In Motion stand.
    Last edited by stewartj1; 05-07-12 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Original link didn't parse
    05-07-12 11:24 AM
    Too bad it means nothing until consumers actually look at RIM as a viable option amidst all the competition.
    05-07-12 11:28 AM
    DocZ while I agree with you, it definitely helps when the media reports positively about your products. They influence purchase and perception, which is something blackberry needs.
    05-07-12 11:40 AM
    Too bad it means nothing until consumers actually look at RIM as a viable option amidst all the competition.
    The media plays a major role in shaping the consumers opinion. If bloggers and the media were to start reporting accurate, fair stories putting RIM in a positive light consumer opinion will not be far behind and BB10 release will be a lot more successful.
    05-07-12 11:56 AM
    I'm curious, when was BBX/BB10 first announced as the next BB OS?
    05-07-12 12:02 PM
    How about impressing the average consumer not impressed by BB?
    05-07-12 12:13 PM
    It's going to take a lot to reverse the perception that the BlaclBerry brand is on death's doorstep (most consumers probably have no idea who or what RIM is). That Thorsten was able to generate some positive pub is just one step in the right direction. Of course most of what we heard was that RIM failed to wow, so we know there's still an uphill battle here.

Regardless, RIM still needs to start getting information out there about exactly what BB10 will be as well as what it isn't. That is, it is not just the next iteration of the old BBOS (some people do seem to be getting that), nor is it intended to be an iPhone killer ... because we KNOW that that's how it will be measured by many of the so-called experts. They also at some point need to strongly publicize the steps they are taking to strengthen the ecosystem, much as MS has been touting the number of WinPhone apps available to an as yet relatively non-existent user base. Bombard the media and bloggers with press releases that answer questions and leave no doubt in anyone's mind of the improvements being made and the potential benefits to be reaped from them. This can be done right now, even absent actual devices and a ready-to-roll OS.
    05-07-12 12:20 PM
    The Bold 9930 or any OS7 BlackBerry is/are fantastic global, secure, real time, push everything communication devices.
    If the media just stops dumping on them for a few days sales will go up.

Are BlackBerry phones for everyone? No. Are they one of the best if not the best for people that want a great communications device? Absolutely.

If I want a picture I'll get a camera.
    If I want to watch a movie I'll get my T.V.
    The Bold takes good pictures and has good video but the focus is secure, real-time coms. That is what I want and that is why I have a BlackBerry. That and the most awesome keyboards on the planet.

The right tool for the right job.
    Stewartj1 and Chrisy like this.
    05-07-12 12:31 PM
    That's the only ones he seemed to impress.
    05-07-12 01:13 PM
    That's the only ones he seemed to impress.
    yeah so what? it has to start somewhere. if you're not impressed so be it. i dont need to know nor do i care if you dont. get on with your life.
    05-07-12 03:19 PM
    If I want a picture I'll get a camera.
    If I want to watch a movie I'll get my T.V.
    The Bold takes good pictures and has good video but the focus is secure, real-time coms. That is what I want and that is why I have a BlackBerry. That and the most awesome keyboards on the planet.

The right tool for the right job.
    Why would you buy a camera or a tv seperately when you can get a one device that does both those things? And you are carrying it already.

Me and my friends where talking 12 years ago thinking how cool it was going to be when our cell phones would have gps, 8 megapixel camera, normal web browsers and games.. Well it has since happened. But not so much on a blackberry.

In order to the NEW bb devices to sell well they need to do well in each of the categories. Email alone is not a compelling enough argument.. All smart phones do email and do it very well or well enough. But they excell at picture taking, gps, web browsing (android does really well) and apps.. Apps are games. And these things are important to younger generations. And they are driving the market.
    05-07-12 03:20 PM
    RIM is on a roll right now I just hope they keep up the hype until BB10 arrives. From what I see so far it looks like a home run but I am being cautious.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-07-12 04:01 PM
    Co-signed! I'm liking Mr Heins!
    05-07-12 04:22 PM
    Thorsten rules. At first I was shocked when they appointed him CEO. In hindsight I think we will see how intelligent a lot of the moves the previous CEOs made were even though right now people fail to see it. The appointment of Thorsten is just one in a long line of smart changes.
    Chrisy and Stewartj1 like this.
    05-07-12 06:22 PM
    yeah so what? it has to start somewhere. if you're not impressed so be it. i dont need to know nor do i care if you dont. get on with your life.
    Couldn't the same be said about you/me/everyone else giving their opinions on the matter/subject?

i thought the forums were for open discussions/opinions, unless they are hostile ofcourse.
    Last edited by Moonbaseone; 05-07-12 at 06:52 PM.
    05-07-12 06:48 PM
    Why would you buy a camera or a tv seperately when you can get a one device that does both those things? And you are carrying it already.

Me and my friends where talking 12 years ago thinking how cool it was going to be when our cell phones would have gps, 8 megapixel camera, normal web browsers and games.. Well it has since happened. But not so much on a blackberry.

In order to the NEW bb devices to sell well they need to do well in each of the categories. Email alone is not a compelling enough argument.. All smart phones do email and do it very well or well enough. But they excell at picture taking, gps, web browsing (android does really well) and apps.. Apps are games. And these things are important to younger generations. And they are driving the market.
    Because of the jack of all trades and master of none effect. I used to want (and did) everyting on my phone. I thought it was so cool. Until I came to realize that all the gagdets on my phone were OK but not great.

It just isn't practical to do it all on one device. For one the battery is a major concern. Secondly. a device dedicated to one function is usually much better than ona phone.

Now I have a latop and tab for internet, a camera for great quality pictures and a handheld GPS for hiking and geocaching.

Sure, having the options on a phone is great in a pinch. But I would NEVER rely on my phone as my sole GPS (been there, got lost in the woods), nor if I wanted rally quality pics.

My phone is for messaging and calls primarily.
    05-07-12 09:22 PM
  17. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    I think the new CEO will turn things around and the new BB10 will be amazing!!! .. Loving the Playbook and bold 9900 ... only going to get a lot better! .... This is the turnaround year for RIM! ....
    05-07-12 09:59 PM
    Thorsten rules. At first I was shocked when they appointed him CEO. In hindsight I think we will see how intelligent a lot of the moves the previous CEOs made were even though right now people fail to see it. The appointment of Thorsten is just one in a long line of smart changes.
    I have been thinking the same thing. Clearly Thorsten has brought a lot to the table that the former CEO's lacked, but it is equally as clear they were bang on target in other ways.
    05-07-12 10:21 PM
    Couldn't the same be said about you/me/everyone else giving their opinions on the matter/subject?

i thought the forums were for open discussions/opinions, unless they are hostile ofcourse.
    ofcourse but if you can't tell that that was a smart@ss comment then i dont know what else to tell you. it's not that hard to research he's a smart @ss nor does he have anything else to provide in this forum but negative crap.
    05-07-12 10:40 PM
    The only guy with half a clue was Balsillie, and he got shoved out the door. The market has spoken. RIM can't build competitive hardware. Hoping for a home run from BB10 is optimistic at best. Impressing the faithful? Really? Cute way to ruin a company.
    05-07-12 11:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD