Baffled by the article I just read that the RIM CEO would consider the sale of his hardware division after the launch of BB10. To me, this shows a lack of confidence in the brand because of his willingness to unload it. What can we gather from this information ?
    01-21-13 07:21 AM
    I think you took it the wrong way. I took it as it'll be considered if sales don't produce.
    T-Raww and Jesse Goodson like this.
    01-21-13 07:26 AM
    so much for 6 phones in 1 year

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-21-13 07:27 AM
    Er, link to said article?
    01-21-13 07:29 AM
    No, no, no. Remember that in previous quarters, RIM has been LOSING money with its hardware division. The per unit price has been severely hurting its bottom line (mostly as a result of significant price reduction as a result of promotions, etc). With BB10, we'll (and RIM) will have to see what they are able to get per/unit. That's why the MSRP for the Z10 through Bell has been listed as $799, I think. Hopefully that will make their hardware division profitable. If so, that's fantastic news. If not, they'll need to find a way to make it profitable or have someone take that over.
    01-21-13 07:30 AM
    Look. Heins has said repeatedly that they're considering everything.... I wouldn't read much into stuff until it happens. Media loves taking a minor quote and making it a major one.
    01-21-13 07:33 AM
    That's not what he said... Why was the interview thread deleted????
    01-21-13 07:35 AM
    Publicly quoted companies are ALL for sale - for the right price. They are ALL open to selling off bits of themselves for the right price. Always.

It's how it works, and there's no point hanging on to every single little hint and statement.
    01-21-13 07:37 AM
    Actually, I was hoping he would do this. The hardware division is a loss leader, it's the software powering the servers and the handsets along with the service fees. I might not wait for the QWERTY and get a touch screen Z10, and get the QWERTY later. Then I'll have two collecter's items.
    01-21-13 08:10 AM
    RIM can outsource the hardware to outfits like Quanta (did the hardware for Playbook), Foxxcon (hopefully not them), etc. Companies like thes can make the hardware to RIM's specifications/design cheaper, and RIM doesn't have to worry about the dealing with the labor force. I think this is a good decision by RIM. Apple doesn't make the iPhone, iPad, or iPod. If you look at the hardware in the Z, BB10 could be put on any high end Android phone out there and work.
    01-21-13 08:14 AM
    Are you talking about Thorsten Heins' statement in our german newspaper "Die Welt"? He actually reacted to the question:

The interviewer asked Thor about the basic financial situation and noted, Heins once said RIM has to consider *all* options. Thor replied the strategic evaluation is still going on and they don't want to restrict or limit any options. Now the interviewer got curious and was wondering, what kind of options Heins was talking about.
    Thor after all said there are multiple options, examples would be a sale of the hardware devision but also a licensing system for the new software would be considered. However RIM is not under any pressure to make such decissions, the launch of BB10 has the number one priority at RIM. Once the new system and devices are available on the market, they'll see what they will do.

So I don't see any actual plans to sell off everything, just a plan to launch and sell those BB10 devices on the markets. Of course Heins and the management will think about many options and surely they'll need to make up their minds what they should do *if* BB10 won't cut it. You can't blame them for that, it is better being prepared with alternative plans if your primary plan fails rather than being surprised by an unfortunate situation.
    Thunderbuck and anon(1544756) like this.
    01-21-13 10:46 AM
    01-21-13 10:57 AM
    Didn't Thor say a bunch of times they want to make BB10 software - not hardware? Margins are way too thin on hardware. Imagine BB10 on some sexy Samsung hardware.
    astraith likes this.
    01-21-13 11:03 AM
    Look. Heins has said repeatedly that they're considering everything.... I wouldn't read much into stuff until it happens. Media loves taking a minor quote and making it a major one.
    That's what I said. Thor said "yes" to ever question asked of him as a possibility. He just dones't want to commit himself either way and leaves the door open to do what they need to do. If BB10 takes off and they start making money on the hardware, they aren't selling anything.
    01-21-13 11:10 AM
    Samsung is in an fairly easy position. While RIM creates both hardware and software, Samsung uses what Google creates. Of course Samsung has just spiced up their own Android developments for individual Android modifications, but you surely can't compare that with what RIM has to do. So Samsung basicly just slaps the latest, modified Android on the hardware they created. Also Samsung obviously can provide themselves with lots of single parts needed to create a finished device. Something RIM can't do.

Also both Google and Samsung (as well as Apple) are in completely different financial situation. Both can afford to sell new things even below production price - in order to gain more marketshare, more customers and therefore weaken the competition. Both companies can compensate those losses with money from other sections. RIM and/or Nokia couldn't do this because they simply could need rebalance their finances with money from other sectors.
    01-21-13 11:12 AM
    Btw, what we are talking about at this thread? Even BB10 doesn't launch yet. So please step a side others options and focus for BB10 launch 9 days to go right
    01-21-13 11:36 AM
    Looks like someone wants to drive down RIMM.
    01-21-13 11:45 AM
    I don't think anyone with a grasp of the situation can claim Thor/RIM are not in it ALL THE WAY. Still, he would be derelict if, as Kevin says, they do not look at every angle and every safety net.
    01-21-13 11:48 AM
    I was just getting ready to post on this when I caught an article on CNET.

http://m.cnet.com/news/rim-ceo-says-licensing-of-blackberry-10-conceivable/57564991

I don't know why they're allowed to post whatever they want on their blogs and websites. :-/
    01-21-13 11:50 AM
    Well, that's what I've read in a serious French magazine (Strategies, I think I've already cited it), that RIM could be sold in 2013.
    And since there was no extra-information about it, I only hoped that this is in case if BB10 doesn't work. Now, if the BB10 launch is only to add value to the enterprise to sell it better, I'm disappointed, very disappointed. I don't want this new phone if the enterprise is to change the owners (who knows what kind of ideas they will have about the security, BB network, licensing stuff, etc.)
    01-21-13 11:55 AM
    Well, that's what I've read in a serious French magazine (Strategies, I think I've already cited it), that RIM could be sold in 2013.
    And since there was no extra-information about it, I only hoped that this is in case if BB10 doesn't work. Now, if the BB10 launch is only to add value to the enterprise to sell it better, I'm disappointed, very disappointed. I don't want this new phone if the enterprise is to change the owners (who knows what kind of ideas they will have about the security, BB network, licensing stuff, etc.)
    It'll be a possibility, I'm sure.
    01-21-13 11:57 AM
    do you realise that article is from August, its been stated before that RIM can't compete on a purely hardware level like Android as they are a manufacture of software and hardware and don't have the resources to do all at once as fast as Android manufactures can. Google does all the work for the Android OS while manufactures simple design and build the hardware, its a much less consuming process.

RIM isn't goign to sell off their hardware as they have long term plans for other devices, and have said they will competing on a software level in order to make their product competitive, just like Apple, on a hardware level Apple can't copete either its all about the OS and user experiense that sells their products
    01-21-13 12:04 PM
    News � BlackBerry Hardware Business Could be Sold, says RIM CEO

News

January 21, 2013 at 9:39 am
    11 COMMENTS
    BlackBerry Hardware Business Could be Sold, says RIM CEO

Research In Motion’s CEO, Thorsten Heins, has repeatedly said he would consider the licensing of BlackBerry 10. In a recent interview with German newspaper Die Welt, Heins said he may consider an even broader shift.
    RIM CEO confirmed the company may consider the sale of their hardware business after the successful launch of BlackBerry 10. ”The main thing for now is to successfully introduce Blackberry 10. Then we’ll see,” Heins told the paper.

Heins didn’t state if the company had begun holding meetings with interested buyers. What would you think if RIM sold its hardware business? Would it be good or bad for the company in the long run?
    01-21-13 12:45 PM
    Finz, I am not sure what you are going to achieve with your postings here. As I already translated, Heins did an interview just prior weekend with well-known german newspaper Die Welt saying they simply are considering it as an option. Considering as in form of a possibility. However Heins also stated launching BB10 and bringing these devices to the market is the top number one priority at RIM. Everything else will be decided after that, depending on how BB10 will perform on the market.
    01-21-13 12:49 PM
    Thor is taking Questions via the @BlackBerry twitter handle right now.

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    01-21-13 12:52 PM
37 12