07-28-10 04:20 PM
    Hmm. Interesting.
    07-28-10 04:37 PM
    I hope they don't name it BlackPad... that's worse than iPad.
    07-28-10 05:00 PM
    Most likely a way to throw everyone off. Buying the rights to that named website
    is just a write off. I don't think they'd follow the "pad" name.
    07-28-10 05:04 PM
    Funny all this excitement over the BlackBerry tablet when everyone slagged the Ipad.
    07-28-10 05:31 PM
    Funny all this excitement over the BlackBerry tablet when everyone slagged the Ipad.
    I still Slag the iPad, and will Slag a Blackberry Tablet if it doesn't bring me business functionality

I want 3G/Wifi/BT sycing with my blackberry and desktop,
    I want RIM to embrace cloud computing and give a shared directory
    I want Office document support, including OneNote
    I want 8-12 hours of Screen ON battery life.
    I want email folders, and email sorting.

really RIM would have to do a lot to make me impressed, because what I hear about Win7 and the integration with Exchange if I purchase a tablet it will probably be Win7 Based
    07-28-10 05:41 PM
    Go figure!
    07-28-10 05:43 PM
    You know what the BlackPad is going to be? If it's up to RIM, it'll be a Bluetooth sync'd device that's used to "read" the info that's already on your BB. In other words, it's not an independant device... it's just a bigger screen for your BB.

Now that would suck the....

BTW, rumor has it the internal codename for this device is Moses.... BWAHAHHAAHA!!!
    07-28-10 08:42 PM
    You know what the BlackPad is going to be? If it's up to RIM, it'll be a Bluetooth sync'd device that's used to "read" the info that's already on your BB. In other words, it's not an independant device... it's just a bigger screen for your BB.

BTW, rumor has it the internal codename for this device is Moses.... BWAHAHHAAHA!!!
    Lmao!

10char
    07-28-10 08:55 PM
    I like the codename! HAha.
    Regardless, I think it might be an interesting piece of hardware with all of the touch features/gestures that seem to have been added in BB6. I don't like the idea of it not being a standalone device though. Why on earth would someone need a giant screen for their BB?
    07-28-10 11:17 PM
    I like to think of it as an equivalent to a PDA, that's what first Rim devices were anyway that later evolved into phones, first only via headset and later with an integrated mic and speaker.
    I wouldn't be surprised, if this Pad does materialise, it could have call capabilities via headset.
    This could be a back to start for Rim.

I would be interested.
    07-29-10 03:10 AM
    blackpad actually sounds pretty bad a s s. would love a device with that name....
    07-29-10 06:27 AM

That's exactly what it's going to be.

It's a COMPANION DEVICE, people. Palm realized what a terrible idea it was before they put it to market and killed it off and took their losses.

RIM wont be that smart.
    07-29-10 07:22 AM
    blackpad actually sounds pretty bad a s s. would love a device with that name....
    When i was growing up, in elementary school to be exact. I had an older teacher who had a "blackpad"... it was 18inch by 24inch portable chalk board, if you will. she would use it for writing simple math questions on the board, then we would write down our answers on a piece of paper. and she would write down the answer and hold the blackpad up to show us the answers.....

ha ha ha ha ha

i seriously hope blackberry doesn't call it the blackpad....

I wonder if they will offer it in white... like the 9700.....

"now available from your techno g33k shop.... The Blackpad in white"...
    07-29-10 08:38 AM
    Great idea RIMM - If it is a companion device, it will not sell well (there are already other devices that work as companion devices for BBs)... If it is a touchscreen device, well... it would appeal to mainly touchscreen users (Storm, very low mindshare)... It is just a large blackberry, and the blackberry OS is not on even the same level as the Android OS or iOS when it comes to general consumers...

Really, I could see success in the iPad before it came out, since it really replaced laptops for those that primarily use computers for internet... but success for a BlackPad? So far, every Blackberry has not offer the speed (Do not confuse this with responsiveness, I am talking about "how fast can you perform a specific function",) applications, memory, fluidness, and well... usefulness... that the tablet consumer market wants.
    Last edited by CrackBerry Storm meh; 07-29-10 at 05:10 PM.
    07-29-10 05:07 PM
    Great idea RIMM - If it is a companion device, it will not sell well (there are already other devices that work as companion devices for BBs)... If it is a touchscreen device, well... it would appeal to mainly touchscreen users (Storm, very low mindshare)... It is just a large blackberry, and the blackberry OS is not on even the same level as the Android OS or iOS when it comes to general consumers...

Really, I could see success in the iPad before it came out, since it really replaced laptops for those that primarily use computers for internet... but success for a BlackPad? So far, every Blackberry has not offer the speed (Do not confuse this with responsiveness, I am talking about "how fast can you perform a specific function",) applications, memory, fluidness, and well... usefulness... that the tablet consumer market wants.
    First: we know nothing about this device. Absolutely nothing. Analysts have been giving us specs on it...the same guys that call for a verizon iphone. For all we know it will trump the iPad.

Second: corporations will buys thousands of these if they are companion devices. And that means more to RIM than consumers. since corporations are where the $$$$ is

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-10 05:18 PM
    First: we know nothing about this device. Absolutely nothing. Analysts have been giving us specs on it...the same guys that call for a verizon iphone. For all we know it will trump the iPad.

Second: corporations will buys thousands of these if they are companion devices. And that means more to RIM than consumers. since corporations are where the $$$$ is

But we do know about the Blackberry OS. OS6 has not even mentioned running applications from device memory or media card memory... You would still be bound to application memory, which essentially means with every application you download, the phone grows progressively slower.
    07-29-10 05:26 PM
    Assuming it is using os6.....and we don't know how much application memory it will have.....or even if it will run OS6. Too many unknowns to be passing judgement

07-29-10 05:31 PM
    The word "pad" looks like a "me too" product after the iPad, IMO. I'd recommend dropping the "pad" at this point and calling it something else. Strawberry, Blueberry, Lapberry, Berrytab... or if you must use pad, then Padberry or Berrypad. WTH is a BLACKPAD
    07-29-10 06:16 PM
    That's exactly what it's going to be.

It's a COMPANION DEVICE, people. Palm realized what a terrible idea it was before they put it to market and killed it off and took their losses.

RIM wont be that smart.

I actually wouldn't mind a companion device if it gives me a 7" screen, and possibly 64GB of Storeage? but the thing would have to be priced in the 200 range, and would have to support it's own battery so as to not decrease my battery life.

BUT I really expect they will make a full device. because it will bring higher dollar values, and hopefully tap into the tablet/netbook market.
    07-29-10 06:36 PM
    Assuming it is using os6.....and we don't know how much application memory it will have.....or even if it will run OS6. Too many unknowns to be passing judgement

OS6 is RIM's most updated Blackberry OS, so why not use it? And you are missing the damn point... Applications should not be running off the device's RAM (application) - it should be running off device memory and media card. Hardware is not the big problem - It is the whole coding behind the OS.
    07-29-10 07:07 PM
    I think it sounds like a good idea from what I have heard, I think it should be cheaper than the iPad though, because the people that are really in the market for this are going to own Blackberries and tether their Blackberry to the device to get internet on the go.
    08-02-10 01:05 PM
    Yeah......i believe buying the domain blackpad.com is just a marketing step and not to be taken seriously BUT if it is any indication of a future name for RIMs tablet, then they seriously need to think twice.......

I think they should save the name of they're upcoming rumored "Slate" BB6 phone and use it for their tablet. Sounds way cooler and by definition and shape it resembles that of a "tablet".

Blackberry Slate tablet.
    08-02-10 02:28 PM
    I know naming is imperative for marketing and all but I couldn't care less what the thing is called so long as it works well enough for me and it takes care of a "need." It could be called the BB_UNTITLED and so long as it works and is worth it...
    08-02-10 10:19 PM
    I think RIM will go in their own direction (like usual) and not go with a "pad" designation.

I've read on other sites that another rumored name is the SLATE...

I could deal with that...
    08-09-10 09:22 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD