If nobody heard they bought an appstore company today. Didn't see it posted.

Edit sorry just saw it posted on the main page

RIM Buys App Store Company (And Mobile Whiz Ronjon Nag) In Desperate Race With Google And Apple - Yahoo! Finance
    Last edited by DX9; 08-24-10 at 08:20 PM.
    08-24-10 07:52 PM
    Pretty sure this is posted on the home page but nice find nonetheless. Hopefully we'll start to see a lot more apps from rim!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-10 07:57 PM
    This does nothing but maybe help with app world... they need to provide better tools and a lot more app memory so developers can actually develop. That is why Apple and Google are doing well, good sdk's and semi open platforms.
    08-24-10 08:59 PM
    This does nothing but maybe help with app world... they need to provide better tools and a lot more app memory so developers can actually develop. That is why Apple and Google are doing well, good sdk's and semi open platforms.
    Android and Apple have amazing app stores with an enormous inventory of apps. Why just last time I checked there was 13 versions of the 'echoing fart app', and 29 versions of the 'pop the bubble wrap' app. Perhaps if my BB had more app memory I could load more of these fantastic applications onto my smartphone
    08-25-10 12:03 AM
    Android and Apple have amazing app stores with an enormous inventory of apps. Why just last time I checked there was 13 versions of the 'echoing fart app', and 29 versions of the 'pop the bubble wrap' app. Perhaps if my BB had more app memory I could load more of these fantastic applications onto my smartphone
    If you're trying to suggest quality over quantity and using RIM as the example, try again... While there is an over abundance of fart apps and other useless crap on both Apple and Google's markets, there is also probably 10x more actual useful apps available on those stores that probably will never hit a BB because of the poor developer support from RIM.

As feature phones have started evolving to become smartphones, Blackberries are going to start looking like feature phones due to the limited app nature of the devices.
    08-25-10 01:45 AM
    Is there really and issue with the current Appworld as an application? Issue seems to be with developers being able to write great apps (lack of good SDK's by RIM), and the ridiculous pricing structure.
    08-25-10 07:56 AM
    RIM... we can't make our own stuff... so we just buy isht and put our name on it. lol
    Well... substitute "RIM" with Microsoft, or Autodesk, or Google, or even Apple (remember, the iPod came to Apple from outside), and you have today's tech world.

08-25-10 08:45 AM
    If you're trying to suggest quality over quantity and using RIM as the example, try again... While there is an over abundance of fart apps and other useless crap on both Apple and Google's markets, there is also probably 10x more actual useful apps available on those stores that probably will never hit a BB because of the poor developer support from RIM.

As feature phones have started evolving to become smartphones, Blackberries are going to start looking like feature phones due to the limited app nature of the devices.
    I really fail to understand this argument that BB has no decent apps...exactly what functional app can't you get for the BB? References, Calculator, tips, weather, themes, social, music, compass, level, etc., they're all there. There are even a lot of games. What wonderful apps does the Android/iPhone have that BB doesn't?
    08-25-10 09:05 AM
    I really fail to understand this argument that BB has no decent apps...exactly what functional app can't you get for the BB? References, Calculator, tips, weather, themes, social, music, compass, level, etc., they're all there. There are even a lot of games. What wonderful apps does the Android/iPhone have that BB doesn't?
    Fart, tongue and digital level apps.
    08-25-10 09:11 AM

unfortunately there are a lot of really great medical apps for the iPhone, that are not available to the Blackberry, The only older people I know with iPhones work as Doctors, or IT support for Hospitals, and they have iPhones because they can't make do with Blackberry's

unfortunately with RIM being a Canadian Company, they really missed the boat with Medical Apps, they could have built an excellent BES backed Medical application, for record keeping, and transmitting of medical records, that would have blown any of the competition out of the water, instead, Mac based medical companies in the US developed apps for iPhones, and mac only computers and they have proliferated in the market.
    08-25-10 09:31 AM
    I didn't say there weren't any decent apps... I stated their is 10x more quality/decent apps. Instead of being limited to a small list of apps. I just went thru the app store on my blackberry and did a quick search on a few apps and have only found a handful of apps rate 4 and up. There are plenty of apps on Android or Apple's store rated at 4 and above.

The point I'm making is this: competition amongst app developers is fierce enough that they are putting a lot of time and effort into the design of their apps, such as interface, to user experience. Apps that are poorly rated won't get purchased in a giant pool of choice... on Blackberry its like a kiddie pool compared to the oceans of apps for Apple and Android. I've got a smaller selection of decent apps, and then those apps may be poorly rated to begin with, but since the choice is so small I've got no choice but to purchase the highest rated one which if I'm lucky is rated a 4 or higher but on avg most everything I've seen is 3.5 or lower.
    08-25-10 09:46 AM
    unfortunately there are a lot of really great medical apps for the iPhone, that are not available to the Blackberry, The only older people I know with iPhones work as Doctors, or IT support for Hospitals, and they have iPhones because they can't make do with Blackberry's

unfortunately with RIM being a Canadian Company, they really missed the boat with Medical Apps, they could have built an excellent BES backed Medical application, for record keeping, and transmitting of medical records, that would have blown any of the competition out of the water, instead, Mac based medical companies in the US developed apps for iPhones, and mac only computers and they have proliferated in the market.
    Every single medical office I've been to in recent years has Windows based medical apps. Even my doctor friend who owns his own practice uses Windows apps in his practice. He personally has an iphone, but no medical apps on it.

While I'm not sure what med apps exist for the iphone, I'm pretty sure my friend would have them if they suited his practice.
    08-25-10 09:49 AM
    The breadth of apps available for the iPhone borders on the absurd. You can do things you could never have imagined was possible with a smartphone. Here's a brief list of categories, there are multiple apps available for each category.

1. Security monitoring apps, lets you monitor and control security cameras.
    2. Music apps, everything from voice correction, virtual instruments to guitar tuning apps.
    3. VOIP and free SMS apps.
    4. Reference apps for everything, from Wiki, to cooking to medical.
    5. For sports fans, theres apps for just about every sport and every activity including fantasy or the NFL draft or the World Cup this past summer.
    6. Navigation apps like Tom Tom and simple stuff like finding your parked car. Android has it's Nav app, which is unparalleled.
    7. Health and fitness apps that do everything from counting calories to syncing your music with your workouts.
    8. News apps from just about every news outlet in the world.
    9. Stuff to let you study for every standardized test like SAT, MCAT, LSAT.
    10. Language translation apps, which I constantly use.
    11. Remote control apps, that let you control various devices.
    12. Video apps that let you watch TV from around the world, or slingplayer, or Hulu.
    13. Barcode scanners that let you do price comparisons, or, inventory control.

The list goes on and on. I have an document sharing app that lets me transfer documents over WiFi which I use on a daily basis. Every single day there's hundreds of new apps in every category. I haven't even mentioned the games and entertainment apps. The quality of iPhone and Android apps make BB apps look like Win3.11 apps compared to Win7 apps. Even better, most apps are priced at under $5 or free. There's even a program called Free App A Day, which like the name, gives away apps that usually cost something. The only thing I'm annoyed at is Apple got rid of all the bikini girl apps, except Victoria's Secret and Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue.
    08-25-10 09:56 AM
    Every single medical office I've been to in recent years has Windows based medical apps. Even my doctor friend who owns his own practice uses Windows apps in his practice. He personally has an iphone, but no medical apps on it.

While I'm not sure what med apps exist for the iphone, I'm pretty sure my friend would have them if they suited his practice.
    My doctor uses an iPhone with some app on it that lets him send prescriptions directly to the pharmacy. He also uses some drug app for reference.
    08-25-10 09:57 AM
    The breadth of apps available for the iPhone borders on the absurd. You can do things you could never have imagined was possible with a smartphone. Here's a brief list of categories, there are multiple apps available for each category.

1. Security monitoring apps, lets you monitor and control security cameras.
    2. Music apps, everything from voice correction, virtual instruments to guitar tuning apps.
    3. VOIP and free SMS apps.
    4. Reference apps for everything, from Wiki, to cooking to medical.
    5. For sports fans, theres apps for just about every sport and every activity including fantasy or the NFL draft or the World Cup this past summer.
    6. Navigation apps like Tom Tom and simple stuff like finding your parked car. Android has it's Nav app, which is unparalleled.
    7. Health and fitness apps that do everything from counting calories to syncing your music with your workouts.
    8. News apps from just about every news outlet in the world.
    9. Stuff to let you study for every standardized test like SAT, MCAT, LSAT.
    10. Language translation apps, which I constantly use.
    11. Remote control apps, that let you control various devices.
    12. Video apps that let you watch TV from around the world, or slingplayer, or Hulu.
    13. Barcode scanners that let you do price comparisons, or, inventory control.

The list goes on and on. I have an document sharing app that lets me transfer documents over WiFi which I use on a daily basis. Every single day there's hundreds of new apps in every category. I haven't even mentioned the games and entertainment apps. The quality of iPhone and Android apps make BB apps look like Win3.11 apps compared to Win7 apps. Even better, most apps are priced at under $5 or free. There's even a program called Free App A Day, which like the name, gives away apps that usually cost something. The only thing I'm annoyed at is Apple got rid of all the bikini girl apps, except Victoria's Secret and Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue.
    Those categories exist in Blackberry also, it is not like BB does not have a single app.

While I am not contesting iphone has more apps, I do know more apps do not lead to a more productive existence. Since I am an email hound, my productivity is in the ability to quickly search, sort, answer and respond to emails.
    08-25-10 09:59 AM

Regardless of everything else in your post... the bold part speaks volumes.

In reality, even when you compare the apps from one platform to the other, what you get on the BB is so "basic'd out" (is that even a word, lol) that it looks stupid and simple. Apps for the other platforms are richer and feel more substantial then the simplified versions for BB. It's like comparing 32bit to 8bit really... it's disgusting that RIM's dragging so much with the BB platform.

Take VoIP apps for example... Android has a good amount and most of them are free. BB has maybe 1 and it's not free last time I checked and it doesn't behave quite as a true VoIP client per say.

Bottom line, no one wants to build apps for a platform that takes them 4+ times the amount of time to develop for it while not returning the same monetary value as it could on other platforms.
    08-25-10 10:05 AM
    Those categories exist in Blackberry also, it is not like BB does not have a single app.

While I am not contesting iphone has more apps, I do know more apps do not lead to a more productive existence. Since I am an email hound, my productivity is in the ability to quickly search, sort, answer and respond to emails.
    And therein lies the truth behind your love for BB. If that is all you're expected to do or you expect to do or look forward to doing, then you will inherently think other platforms are overdone... which, they are not. It's just your nature. You've inherently put on blinders in terms of what you need your phone to do. You are the kind of person who would carry 5 different devices that each does one single thing really well. A lot of us are the kind of people that would like to carry 1 device that does 50 different things quite well. This is something that RIM's devices have not done in the past and I don't see them do it in the near future, if at all, unless RIM gets out of their current mentality.
    08-25-10 10:09 AM
    Regardless of everything else in your post... the bold part speaks volumes.

In reality, even when you compare the apps from one platform to the other, what you get on the BB is so "basic'd out" (is that even a word, lol) that it looks stupid and simple. Apps for the other platforms are richer and feel more substantial then the simplified versions for BB. It's like comparing 32bit to 8bit really... it's disgusting that RIM's dragging so much with the BB platform.

Take VoIP apps for example... Android has a good amount and most of them are free. BB has maybe 1 and it's not free last time I checked and it doesn't behave quite as a true VoIP client per say.

Bottom line, no one wants to build apps for a platform that takes them 4+ times the amount of time to develop for it while not returning the same monetary value as it could on other platforms.
    Your take is different than mine, as you place more emphasis: "on there's an app for that". VOIP is a great example, free VOIP? Who is giving away their services other than google? Apps is not a reason I would go to droid, but that's me.
    08-25-10 10:21 AM
    And therein lies the truth behind your love for BB. If that is all you're expected to do or you expect to do or look forward to doing, then you will inherently think other platforms are overdone... which, they are not. It's just your nature. You've inherently put on blinders in terms of what you need your phone to do. You are the kind of person who would carry 5 different devices that each does one single thing really well. A lot of us are the kind of people that would like to carry 1 device that does 50 different things quite well. This is something that RIM's devices have not done in the past and I don't see them do it in the near future, if at all, unless RIM gets out of their current mentality.
    Yes, you finally got it. People have different needs. My dear, I think it's you that has the blinders on. With my laptop and phone I can do functions, you can only dream about doing quickly, easily on your iphone, bb, driod or palm. Time is money to me.

iPhones/droids cannot replace desktop/laptop computers. They may get 90% of the functionality, but the 10% that is missing is critical.
    08-25-10 10:27 AM
    My doctor uses an iPhone with some app on it that lets him send prescriptions directly to the pharmacy. He also uses some drug app for reference.
    You don't think Blackberry has electronic prescription or drug reference applications?
    08-25-10 10:30 AM
    You don't think Blackberry has electronic prescription or drug reference applications?
    They probably do, but it's probably not as nice and probably cost 5X more. He showed me pictures of the pills on the iPhone and stuff. Previously, he used a Palm device.
    08-25-10 10:33 AM
    Yes, you finally got it. People have different needs. My dear, I think it's you that has the blinders on. With my laptop and phone I can do functions, you can only dream about doing quickly, easily on your iphone, bb, driod or palm. Time is money to me.

iPhones/droids cannot replace desktop/laptop computers. They may get 90% of the functionality, but the 10% that is missing is critical.
    No one has said the smart phone is a replacement for a desktop... but say when I go to lunch at work and need to do more than hammer out an email... I can do so without carrying my laptop. I can also do a lot more without being tied to my computer say when I'm on vacation. BB people seem to dog on productivity for iPhone or Android... but tell me how productive is it when all you can really do (efficiently) is bang out an email.
    08-25-10 10:40 AM
    Your take is different than mine, as you place more emphasis: "on there's an app for that". VOIP is a great example, free VOIP? Who is giving away their services other than google? Apps is not a reason I would go to droid, but that's me.
    Free in terms of the apps, not the services. A lot of businesses have large campuses with WIFI and have a compus wide VoIP solution that would be nice if people could use their smartphones with WIFI capability to make calls via the VoIP internal systems. That way they could carry one device that they could forward their desk phone to, etc. This is a great example in schools, hospitals, etc. where a lot of people aren't tied down to their desk chair most of the day.

I agree that 100% isn't the case, but when measuring capabilities, iPhone and Android handsets are better equipped at handling a lot more capabilities in the mobile fashion if needed. BB is limited in that aspect. In other words, you could probably survive (with no drawbacks) with just an iPhone or just an Android smartphone. Things like limited attachment sizes, email sizes, download limits, etc. are things that keep BB in the dark ages. With an iPhone or Android device I'm not limited in those aspects and therefor, I'm not in need of a laptop or netbook to be able to do something. With an iPhone there are LogMeIn clients that can give you full control over your PC at home or office for even greater capabilities in a pinch. The larger screens on these devices make this sort of mobile computing easier then your QWERTY BB can be. Would it be easier to just use a laptop to do it, sure. But I and many others live in the world of, what if I'm caught without my laptop... what then? For me, it would be nice to be able to reach in my pocket and pull out a device that can give me standard smartphone capabilities, remote access/control capabilities, some fun with games or multimedia (not really much gaming at all really), unlimited in downloads, etc. and so on. Basically, the market is going the route of "Your smartphone is going to replace your notebook." Anyone who thinks otherwise, put on your suit and go hang out with Mike and his pals at the 1990's comback party.
    08-25-10 10:41 AM
    They probably do, but it's probably not as nice and probably cost 5X more. He showed me pictures of the pills on the iPhone and stuff. Previously, he used a Palm device.
    Ok, I'm not a medical app analyst so I really don't know for sure.

08-25-10 10:42 AM
    No one has said the smart phone is a replacement for a desktop... but say when I go to lunch at work and need to do more than hammer out an email... I can do so without carrying my laptop. I can also do a lot more without being tied to my computer say when I'm on vacation. BB people seem to dog on productivity for iPhone or Android... but tell me how productive is it when all you can really do (efficiently) is bang out an email.
    This man gets it. :thumbsup:
    08-25-10 10:45 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD