when i was going around the forums i saw people saying "apple are brainwashing people with their over priced products" isn't that the same with the new blackberry 9900?
    08-21-11 02:03 PM
    Overpriced products means brain washing?

9900 is pretty awesome though. Especially compared to the old ones.
    08-21-11 02:13 PM
    $549 to me doesn't seem over priced at all.
    Sharma15 likes this.
    08-21-11 02:51 PM
    Overpriced products means brain washing?

9900 is pretty awesome though. Especially compared to the old ones.
    According to some crackberry users apple brainwashed users by selling over priced products like the iphone 4
    08-21-11 03:34 PM
    Yeah I don't see the bold being over priced at all. Well worth it if you ask me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-11 03:54 PM
    According to some crackberry users apple brainwashed users by selling over priced products like the iphone 4
    No Apple Brainwashed users with Marketing into buying over priced products,

Not selling over priced products to do the brainwashing

if one believes that the brainwashing occurred
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-21-11 04:27 PM
    $549 to me doesn't seem over priced at all.
    If it were the UK equivalent of $549 canadian, then I would agree. Handset only is about �499 here at the moment, about $800 canadian. Bit steep and as much as the iPhone. If RIM were serious about winning high end users back from Apple, then they would have pitched it at a more competitive price over here at launch.
    08-21-11 04:35 PM
    LOL!!!! What transparent trolling!!!!

I'm experiencing the Torch 2 right now. If this is any indication of what the 9900 will feel like, it will not be overpriced and there is no brainwashing. People can choose to buy or not.

Try again!
    08-21-11 04:38 PM
    Apple created a cultural icon in the iPod, and again in the iPhone. They did it well. They expanded on that with the MacBook. They made people WANT their products despite being overpriced. They integrated themselves into cultural society and sparked a massive widespread acceptance of the smartphone. They are making inroads into the corporate world, but not yet on par with RIM's success there. Android is a success because Apple paved the way.

RIM created a cultural icon in the BlackBerry. Once a status symbol for the rich and powerful, the BlackBerry has filtered down to the mainstream. Their insertion into the consumer public has not been as strong as Apples, just as Apple's insertion into the corporate market has still not equaled RIM's.
    2 different approaches with differing levels of success.

All marketing is brainwashing. Its goal is to change the mindset of the consumer. This is nothing new. Watch a few episodes of Mad Men and you'll see. To call any company "brainwashers" is akin to calling the sky blue, water wet, and the sun hot. This is not news.

Siiid, Phil DeLong and tack like this.
    08-21-11 04:42 PM
    Apple created a cultural icon in the iPod, and again in the iPhone. They did it well. They expanded on that with the MacBook. They made people WANT their products despite being overpriced. They integrated themselves into cultural society and sparked a massive widespread acceptance of the smartphone. They are making inroads into the corporate world, but not yet on par with RIM's success there. Android is a success because Apple paved the way.

RIM created a cultural icon in the BlackBerry. Once a status symbol for the rich and powerful, the BlackBerry has filtered down to the mainstream. Their insertion into the consumer public has not been as strong as Apples, just as Apple's insertion into the corporate market has still not equaled RIM's.
    2 different approaches with differing levels of success.

All marketing is brainwashing. Its goal is to change the mindset of the consumer. This is nothing new. Watch a few episodes of Mad Men and you'll see. To call any company "brainwashers" is akin to calling the sky blue, water wet, and the sun hot. This is not news.

I agree - hence the desire of more affluent BBerry users to have the top end handset, to differentiate from the masses (says she, using the 8520 - its temporary until 9900 arrives!). However, its all about the bottom line - I would like to be able to pay less for it than the current asking price. Apple's crazy prices support a massive marketing spend - RIM doesn't advertise to the same extent, here (UK) at least.
    08-21-11 04:46 PM
    If it were the UK equivalent of $549 canadian, then I would agree. Handset only is about �499 here at the moment, about $800 canadian. Bit steep and as much as the iPhone. If RIM were serious about winning high end users back from Apple, then they would have pitched it at a more competitive price over here at launch.

you guys get hosed on all Electronics, I couldn't believe the cost of a laptop when I was over there compared to a similar model over here.

but dang is the cheese and chocolate good!
    08-21-11 04:46 PM
    you guys get hosed on all Electronics, I couldn't believe the cost of a laptop when I was over there compared to a similar model over here.

but dang is the cheese and chocolate good!
    Part of it is a 20% sales tax - but I guess you must have similar things in Canada. However, for lots of North American companies $1 US or $1 Can, is equal to �1. What a fabulous exchange rate! Lucky us.

But then we have tea, dry wit and appalling weather so its not all bad.
    08-21-11 04:52 PM
    Lol "brainwashing" shhhhh

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk
    08-21-11 04:57 PM
    Part of it is a 20% sales tax - but I guess you must have similar things in Canada. However, for lots of North American companies $1 US or $1 Can, is equal to �1. What a fabulous exchange rate! Lucky us.

But then we have tea, dry wit and appalling weather so its not all bad.

That is true your sales tax is applied at the Purchase price, Ours is applied AFTER

so $549.99 for me was actually $615.99 after sales tax, your $800 would translate to approximately $669 making the disparity slightly less.

and Trust me I know all about getting hosed, when the Canadian Dollar was .95 to the US dollar pricing of object in the US to Canada still could be upto 30% different, before taxation especially clothing, as Canada has an 18% textile import tariff and the US only has a 6% import tariff.
    08-21-11 05:07 PM
    That is true your sales tax is applied at the Purchase price, Ours is applied AFTER

so $549.99 for me was actually $615.99 after sales tax, your $800 would translate to approximately $669 making the disparity slightly less.

and Trust me I know all about getting hosed, when the Canadian Dollar was .95 to the US dollar pricing of object in the US to Canada still could be upto 30% different, before taxation especially clothing, as Canada has an 18% textile import tariff and the US only has a 6% import tariff.
    Ouch. The poor consumer gets screwed no matter what. I demand the right to cheaper consumer electronics Mind you, back in the day, my dad paid about a week's wages to buy me a ZX Spectrum 48k (1983), and a 9900 is about a week's wages for me. Not much changes.
    08-21-11 05:11 PM
    The OP is is kid, so while his post really probably could be considered trolling in a sense, my guess is that it's more a case of lack of knowledge along with a strong dose of "wanting to play with the big kids".
    08-21-11 05:16 PM
    If someone wants to play with the big kids then that someone has to be willing to accept when he/she is taught a lesson.
    Until such a time as one is ready to take on the big kids, the best thing to do is to keep the head low and remain nimble on one's feet.
    08-21-11 05:21 PM

Could be - ****, we'd all like it to be cheaper. However, this is the device marketed at the 'premium' customers, so its going to be costly. You never used to see that many people with the Bold 9000 in the UK, even my mum only got given an 8900 from her employer and she is a very senior exec.
    08-21-11 05:23 PM
    Okay.
    This is gonna sound kinda... Douchy.
    I've been on this site for about a year now.
    I am an ex-Apple Fanboy.
    I was as obsessed as can be.
    But I knew it.
    And I know that it was NOT because they had things that were overpriced.

200 dollars for an iPhone is NOT overpriced.
    1000 dollars for a computer that can't beat a 600 dollar laptop is. But in the Phone business. It is not.

People who become fanboys are either obsessive in nature(As am I), or insecure.
    Most cases than not, I find them insecure.

There is no brainwash from the prices. They are from the superb advertising Mr. Jobs does with teenagers.
    08-21-11 05:38 PM
    Whoever says Apple are brainwashing is silly. RIM aren't either while we're on the subject.

As for Apple:

Their phones are top-of-the-line and start at $200, although they can be found for $147 now. That's fair. Of course unsubsidized they are more, but look at the materials used - glass as opposed to plastic, retina display, etc. You can find the iPhone 4 on contract for less than it costs to manufacture the device itself.

Their Tablets are top-of-the-line and they reinvented tablets as we know them, yet they're priced about where other high-end tablets are. Considering the price is competitive to other tablets and the iPad was the tablet that started the craze, that's pretty good.

Their computers aren't as easy to justify for common users so I'll just post a link.
    Why do Macs cost so much? All things Macintosh | DSLReports.com, ISP Information

As for RIM brainwashing? They aren't in a position where they can convince the masses to shell out top dollar for their products unless it is well deserved.
    08-21-11 05:54 PM
    LOL!!!! What transparent trolling!!!!

I'm experiencing the Torch 2 right now. If this is any indication of what the 9900 will feel like, it will not be overpriced and there is no brainwashing. People can choose to buy or not.

Try again!
    Haha nice choice of words
    08-21-11 05:58 PM
    The first rule of selling anything is charge what the market will bear.

These are premium products because they sell for a high margin. So I'd not call it brainwashing.

In fact I hope RIM is able to raise its average selling price on handsets. That is the only way they can remain in business.

08-21-11 06:06 PM
    when i was going around the forums i saw people saying "apple are brainwashing people with their over priced products" isn't that the same with the new blackberry 9900?
    MacBook Pro
    13-inch screen
    Intel Core i5 2.3GHz dual-core
    4GB RAM
    320GB 5400-rpm1
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    $1,249.00

Acer Aspire 5552G-5828
    15.6 HD LCD screen
    AMD Phenom II X4 2.1GHz Quad Core
    6GB RAM
    500 GB 5400-rpm
    ATI Radeon HD 5650
    $549

I rest my case.
    Sharma15 likes this.
    08-21-11 08:06 PM
    Well you have to put into consideration.
    The acer is ugly.

On 2 1199.99 devices.
    MacBook Pro

4GB 1333Mhz
    320 GB SATA 5400 RPM
    BackLit Keyboard
    2.3 Ghz Dual Core i5 Processor
    1280x800
    7 hr battery
    HD Camera..
    Mini Display port
    Single Audio in/out Port
    Intel HD Graphics 384MB

Alienware M14x
    4GB 1600Mhz
    500GB SATA 7200 RPM
    Backlit Keyboard, trackpad, Speakers, 4 lighting zones. colors all over the light spectrum.
    2.0 Ghz (Can be Overclocked to 2.9Ghz) i7 Processor.
    1366x768. (25088 more pixels!)
    6hrs
    2.0 MP camera.
    HDMA, DisplayPort, DVI port.
    2 Audio out and 1 audio in.
    NVidia GeForce 1.5Gb.

See the difference in Specs?
    08-21-11 08:22 PM
    The first rule of selling anything is charge what the market will bear.

These are premium products because they sell for a high margin. So I'd not call it brainwashing.

In fact I hope RIM is able to raise its average selling price on handsets. That is the only way they can remain in business.

08-21-11 09:59 PM
85 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD