BlackBerry 10 Delay Looms Larger After Lukewarm iPhone 5 Launch | CIO Blogs

This was posted for the purposes of discussion....both good and bad, realistic and fantasy if you so want to indulge......

the kid hartford
    Balti43 likes this.
    09-16-12 01:02 PM
    Either way release it not ready and you're toast. Wait and release it too late and you're toast. I think the release not ready would hurt much much more than releasing too late.
    09-16-12 01:20 PM
    Either way release it not ready and you're toast. Wait and release it too late and you're toast. I think the release not ready would hurt much much more than releasing too late.
    considerign the reputation they already have about rushing releases and having incomplete systems
    09-16-12 01:40 PM
    To be honest, the Smartphone industry is now slowing down. Android hasn't come up with any breathroughs and the last time we got some breakthroughs from Apple was Siri. People are sticking with Apple because then they will have to lose the purchases they've made on the AppStore, same goes for Google. With Windows Phone and BlackBerry 10 coming in, people need to make choices and invest in a platform that they think is going to be worth investing in for the next 5-7 years. Windows Phone, even though its not proved its success, it is one of the top 4 platforms. BlackBerry, on the other hand has been successful, but its undergoing significant changes. I'm genuinely excited by what I've seen of BB10 so far and am really looking forward to what BlackBerry 10 has to offer. I recently purchased a PlayBook, even though its 18 month old hardware, because it is going to get BB10. I'm really really looking forward to BlackBerry Jam Americas!
    Balti43 likes this.
    09-16-12 01:44 PM
    there are a lot of very smart people on this site....Analytical type, strong numbers people....but what really is at stake here is the PERCEPTION......the perception is that RIM is weak, behind, history......therefore THEY ARE, because perception is reality.......
    09-16-12 04:58 PM
    there are a lot of very smart people on this site....Analytical type, strong numbers people....but what really is at stake here is the PERCEPTION......the perception is that RIM is weak, behind, history......therefore THEY ARE, because perception is reality.......
    Could you maybe explain what you just said?
    thanks
    09-16-12 05:03 PM
    numbers people can figure things out straight away, 2-2=0......creative thinkers are more apt to look at things from a perception standpoint, a feeling standpoint..
    09-16-12 05:57 PM
    No matter how long they will delay BB10, RIM needs to wow. Simple as that. Even if they release it earlier than expected, if they don't impress then they're f....
    09-17-12 06:07 AM
    RIM's ecosystem is much weaker than Apple and Google and I don't know if BB10 will change that. I honestly think it could be too late.

For example, my IT guy has an iPhone 3g and is getting the iPhone 5. This past Friday, he said he was seriously looking looking at the Galaxy S III but didn't want to repurchase his apps and figure out Android when he's content with his iPhone. So heks staying put. He is already subscribed to Apple's ecosystem. Apple knows this! It will take RIM to be a game changer and Apple to really upset their customers to get the masses to migrate over. I'm not saying it's impossible but it doesn't seem very likely.
    09-17-12 01:39 PM
    Apple is experiencing some of the issues that RIM experienced with a platform that is getting dated. What was once revolutionary becomes standard fare very quickly. Though a platform may be improved...it seems there will be some point of limitation on what that platform may be able to accomplish from the consumer's perspective.

What RIM has going for it is a new Platform that has a tremendous amount of potential. It is new and yet its being based on a proven performer (QNX) gives it a record of reliability. If what they bring is as revolutionary as the leaked images reveal, then RIM does have a fighting chance to get back into the game and make bigger splash in the USA market.
    09-17-12 02:13 PM
    The real problem for RIM is that the perception out there on the street is that it is too late for them.....consumers already bailed months ago, now you have companies starting to leave as well......RIM has to leak more info or do more campaigns to get mainstreet and wallstreet REALLY interested........My wife works at a huge bank in NJ and she just got the 9930, her choices of upgrade were all BB.....how long is that going to last.......tick, tock, tick, tock.....
    09-17-12 04:46 PM
    RIM will wow. There is no doubt. Also RIM will see a *relatively* strong launch -- strong for RIM's expectations anyway.

Whether this will be sustained or not is unknown. What I know is that my blackberry has saved me over a thousand dollars in the last three years and I have never had to have it repaired.

I know several people who struggle to like their iphones when after the second time they have sent them away for repair.. That is a testament to marketing, but marketing wears off. RIM just needs to stay in business long enough for people to recognize this.
    09-18-12 07:14 AM
    Has anyone besides me noticed, that the only people who call the iphone5 launch reaction 'disappointing' and 'lukewarm' are Android and Blackberry bloggers?

Those guys should really put their heads together and form a team to investigate who it is, who puts a gun to the head of all those 'lukewarm' iPhone owners and forces them to upgrade their phones! Twice as many got sold in preorders than last time... Does that mean that Iphone owners are twice as disappointed as with the 4S, or only half as disappointed?
    09-18-12 07:53 AM
    I'd say a lot of people have disposable income or are unhappy with the 4s if that is what they are upgrading from. Or if they have an older one they were waiting for the 5 over the 4s.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    09-18-12 07:58 AM
    To be honest, the Smartphone industry is now slowing down. Android hasn't come up with any breathroughs and the last time we got some breakthroughs from Apple was Siri. People are sticking with Apple because then they will have to lose the purchases they've made on the AppStore, same goes for Google. With Windows Phone and BlackBerry 10 coming in, people need to make choices and invest in a platform that they think is going to be worth investing in for the next 5-7 years. Windows Phone, even though its not proved its success, it is one of the top 4 platforms. BlackBerry, on the other hand has been successful, but its undergoing significant changes. I'm genuinely excited by what I've seen of BB10 so far and am really looking forward to what BlackBerry 10 has to offer. I recently purchased a PlayBook, even though its 18 month old hardware, because it is going to get BB10. I'm really really looking forward to BlackBerry Jam Americas!
    Nokia has been pretty innovative recently, so much so that now iphone5, S3 and lumia920 are often quoted in the same breath.....and I agree. Lumia is a great phone. lots of innovation (just not sure about wp8 yet)
    09-18-12 08:10 AM
    Everyone seems to be forgetting a huge statistic. There are more dumb-phone users then smart-phone users. The mobile phone market has huge upside to anyone trying to sell smart-phones. Not everyone wants an iphone or android based smart phone. This opens up potential for Microsoft in October and RIM in 2013 Q1 and anyone else trying to penetrate the market. Plus, believe it or not, there are people out there without a cell phone! The horror!
    Toodeurep likes this.
    09-18-12 09:17 AM
    Has anyone besides me noticed, that the only people who call the iphone5 launch reaction 'disappointing' and 'lukewarm' are Android and Blackberry bloggers?

Those guys should really put their heads together and form a team to investigate who it is, who puts a gun to the head of all those 'lukewarm' iPhone owners and forces them to upgrade their phones! Twice as many got sold in preorders than last time... Does that mean that Iphone owners are twice as disappointed as with the 4S, or only half as disappointed?

That is funny! I have a friend from HS on Facebook and she complained about her Iphone 4s numerous times over the past year. The day after IP5 was announced she was offering it for sale on FB. Keep in mind that she can't even afford her rent, or food. Heck, she was even offering her 40 inch TV for sale. But why would you buy a used 4s that has issues to leverage someone to buy a new phone?

Sometimes this world makes me wonder. But life is a grand gift! To have these meaningless worries when our forefathers had to worry about hunting their own food.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-19-12 09:59 PM
    Everyone seems to be forgetting a huge statistic. There are more dumb-phone users then smart-phone users. The mobile phone market has huge upside to anyone trying to sell smart-phones. Not everyone wants an iphone or android based smart phone. This opens up potential for Microsoft in October and RIM in 2013 Q1 and anyone else trying to penetrate the market. Plus, believe it or not, there are people out there without a cell phone! The horror!

Sorry. But U.S. smartphone percentage passed 50.4 percent last May and will jump even higher this fall.
    I do agree however that there are still tons to be sold to the remaining holdouts.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    09-19-12 10:51 PM
    I'd say a lot of people have disposable income or are unhappy with the 4s if that is what they are upgrading from. Or if they have an older one they were waiting for the 5 over the 4s.
    alot of ppl were not hyped about the 4S and waited for the 5. they were going to buy the ip5 almost no matter what. They have a phone that is 2 yrs old and they are locked into the Apple brand.
    09-23-12 02:16 PM
    There are a wave of young ppl who become teenagers every yr who will have smart phones. The smart phone market is still maturing in the US, Canada, and in Europe. In other parts of the world it is still in its infnancy.

Rim just needs to be in a position where they are growing, and they have to continue to innovate, if they can become relevant again.

The tablet market isn't mature anywhere, thats why the playbook still has a chance, tablets are not ubiquitous anywhere yet.
    09-23-12 02:23 PM
    There are a wave of young ppl who become teenagers every yr who will have smart phones. The smart phone market is still maturing in the US, Canada, and in Europe. In other parts of the world it is still in its infnancy.
    The smartphone industry is turning into the Pocket PC industry (if it hasn't already). Just like the PDA and calculator industries before. The smartphone tag is just a placeholder. PC Magazine has already recognized this:

Based on these benchmarks, the iPhone 5 lives up to the promise of being twice as fast as the iPhone 4S. It's also, for now, the fastest handheld computer sold in the US.
    The tablet market isn't mature anywhere, thats why the playbook still has a chance, tablets are not ubiquitous anywhere yet.
    Considering that Apple has sold almost 100 million iPads (70% of market), when do you think the "magic number" of tablet ubiquity starts? PC sales are suffering due to the iPad and the Netbooks craze is all but over thanks to the iPad

This talk about smartphones still growing and tablets in their infancy is about failure to see where tech is heading. And its not heading toward more powerful phones.

The phone is now just another app.
    CairnsRock likes this.
    09-23-12 04:12 PM
    How would define the tablet market? By the # of tablets sold in a territory or by the # of cell phone users or by the # of laptop/desktop users who switched over? This '70%' looks very suspicious to me in that sense. If you look at the count of smartphone users vs tablet users, tablets number less indeed. When people talk of maturity, then it's about being the 'norm'. Look at the telly, colour tellies have matured, while LCD/Full HD tellies are growing.

In the same line of thought, if 3 billion (out of ~6 billion people on this planet) have smartphones, then it will the 'norm' and we could say the global smartphone market has matured.

Remember, being ahead of the technology curve is different from the average Joe and Jane (and millions like them) to use a smartphone (however 'basic' that smartphone could be). If tablets are ubiquitous, then shouldn't we see Joe carrying one under his arm while going in that train or sitting in the park? Even that FBI agent in his dark suit should carry that tablet instead of a newspaper while spying from a bench.
    09-23-12 06:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD