RIM: BlackBerry Enterprise Server will support all devices; we goofed | ZDNet

"Earlier today, I wrote that Research in Motion is developing a new version of its BlackBerry Enterprise Server offering because its older version is incompatible with the next-generation BlackBerry 10 platform. This was based on a BGR report that was circulated earlier in the day.

Half right, but also half wrong. We goofed, and we're sorry...."
    08-24-12 08:13 AM
    RIM: BlackBerry Enterprise Server will support all devices; we goofed | ZDNet

"Earlier today, I wrote that Research in Motion is developing a new version of its BlackBerry Enterprise Server offering because its older version is incompatible with the next-generation BlackBerry 10 platform. This was based on a BGR report that was circulated earlier in the day.

Half right, but also half wrong. We goofed, and we're sorry...."
    An old story that was rebuked, see the correct story here at CB: Clearing up the confusion: BES and BlackBerry 10 | CrackBerry.com
    08-24-12 08:32 AM
    The retraction and apology is an old story?
    08-24-12 08:38 AM
    RIM needs to stop goofing and continuing to make themselves look dumb.
    08-24-12 08:38 AM
    Yes, they got it wrong - so the retraction and apology needs to be followed by a retraction of the retraction and and an apology for the apology.
    08-24-12 08:39 AM
    RIM needs to stop goofing and continuing to make themselves look dumb.
    It wasn't RIM that "goofed". It was ZDNet copying an incorrect story from BGR. Glad to know you read articles before forming options though....
    08-24-12 09:02 AM
    Sorry I read a RIM employee stated that only 1 server will be needed when in fact 2 will so yes a RIM employee made a statement that wasn't true.
    08-24-12 09:11 AM
    Yes, they got it wrong - so the retraction and apology needs to be followed by a retraction of the retraction and and an apology for the apology.
    I really want to see that.

Oh. In before the lock.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=741440

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=741298
    Last edited by hootyhoo; 08-24-12 at 09:36 AM.
    08-24-12 09:28 AM
    Why couldn't RIM have just circulated a simple table like:

Phone OS --+------- Required BES edition
    ===========+============================

4 ---------+------- 5.0.x
    5 ---------+------- 5.0.x
    6 ---------+------- 5.0.x
    7 ---------+------- 5.0.x
    10 --------+------- 10

PB OS -----+---- Required BES edition
    ===========+=========================

Original --+---------------- N/A
    Final BB10 +---------------- 10

Wouldn't that have been much clearer and much less ambiguous?

Then this whole brouhaha would've dissolved immediately instead of escalating to the Keystone Kops farce that it became (for ALL parties involved, although it's RIM that takes the reputational hit for the confusing messaging)

-CFOT
    08-24-12 09:51 AM
    Wait here is what ZDNet says:

Earlier today, I wrote that Research in Motion is developing a new version of its BlackBerry Enterprise Server offering because its older version is incompatible with the next-generation BlackBerry 10 platform. This was based on a BGR report that was circulated earlier in the day.

Half right, but also half wrong. We goofed, and we're sorry.

Here's the deal.

A RIM spokesperson got in touch later today to say that the smartphone maker is working on "developing BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) 10," which will "support existing BlackBerry devices, including the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet and new devices running on the BlackBerry 10 platform."

They added:

BES 10 will be the ultimate management solution for all BlackBerry platform devices, as well as iOS and Android devices. BES 10 will launch simultaneously with the first BlackBerry 10 devices in [the first quarter of 2013].

RIM will also provide an upgrade to BES 10 for existing BES customers, so enterprises will have the most up-to-date offerings to manage their users.

One of the concerns with the original report was the suggestion that enterprises would require two servers -- one new, and one legacy -- to support newer BlackBerry 10 devices, and legacy BlackBerry 7 and earlier devices. As RIM made clear later today, that's not the case at all.

Here's the old post so you can perform your own post-mortem. Thanks to all the comments in the original piece that pointed out the error. It's a credit to the ZDNet community that we're blessed with expert readers from all areas, platforms and environments that can point out when we get something wrong.
    But the Crackberry story clearly states that to manage BB10 and BBOS7 and earlier devices will require two servers, BES10 for new and BES5 will need to remain until legacy devices are no more. So as much as I hate BGR, the article was correct in that you will need two servers while migrating from BBOS to BB10. They are going to have a common configuration area in the new server so you can manage everything in one place, but you still need two servers.

And RIM continues their communications misteps.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-24-12 10:48 AM
    Wait here is what ZDNet says:

But the Crackberry story clearly states that to manage BB10 and BBOS7 and earlier devices will require two servers, BES10 for new and BES5 will need to remain until legacy devices are no more. So as much as I hate BGR, the article was correct in that you will need two servers while migrating from BBOS to BB10. They are going to have a common configuration area in the new server so you can manage everything in one place, but you still need two servers.

And RIM continues their communications misteps.
    I think its the level of detail that is lacking which seems to make confusing (whether its the blogger or RIM is just as confusing). Yes you can MANAGE from one area, but you need the proper backend to support BBOS or BB10. What you dont need is multiple management consoles.
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    08-24-12 10:59 AM
    I think its the level of detail that is lacking which seems to make confusing (whether its the blogger or RIM is just as confusing). Yes you can MANAGE from one area, but you need the proper backend to support BBOS or BB10. What you dont need is multiple management consoles.
    Which the complaint from customers was they don't want to have 2 servers period or has that been changed and quoted several times also?
    08-24-12 11:26 AM
    Why couldn't RIM have just circulated a simple table like:

Phone OS --+------- Required BES edition
    ===========+============================
    4 ---------+------- 5.0.x
    5 ---------+------- 5.0.x
    6 ---------+------- 5.0.x
    7 ---------+------- 5.0.x
    10 --------+------- 10

PB OS -----+---- Required BES edition
    ===========+=========================
    Tablet OS 2.1+ --+--------- BDS/Mobile Fusion 6
    Final BB10 +---------------- 10

Wouldn't that have been much clearer and much less ambiguous?

Then this whole brouhaha would've dissolved immediately instead of escalating to the Keystone Kops farce that it became (for ALL parties involved, although it's RIM that takes the reputational hit for the confusing messaging)

-CFOT

Fixed it for you
    08-24-12 11:30 AM
    Which the complaint from customers was they don't want to have 2 servers period or has that been changed and quoted several times also?
    Are you sure they can't both run on the same server in different instances or JVMs?
    08-24-12 12:18 PM
    It would be really great if there was a way they could post this information where everyone could go and learn how their new platform and devices will work.... oh maybe something like a WEBSITE.
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    08-24-12 12:31 PM
    Fixed it for you
    See, I'm so confused I can't even get THAT straight!

Thanks for correcting!

-CFOT
    08-24-12 07:22 PM
    The whole thing is a tragicomedy.
    08-24-12 10:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD