RIM is finally ready with its answer to Apple's iPhone and the many Android smartphones. After months of delays, RIM CEO Thorsten Heins, along with others from the company, will take the stage Wednesday in New York to unveil the final version of BlackBerry 10, the next version of RIM's phone software, and the phones that will run it.

"We expect tomorrow to really be the kickoff for the introduction of Blackberry 10," RIM's Chief Marketing Officer Frank Boulben told ABC News in a phone interview. "We have been engaged for quite a period of time with the two main constituents -- the carriers and the developers -- and we've already said we are in the labs of more than 150 carriers around the world."

Column: BlackBerry Burden: What RIM Must Do to Come Back

With more than 150 wireless carriers around the world planning to offer the latest BlackBerry, Boulben says it will be the most "comprehensive launch," not only for the company, but in the history of the mobile industry.
    CES in 60: Tech21 Cases Watch Video
    HTC's Windows Phone 8X and 8S Watch Video
    Droid DNA By HTC: First Look Watch Video

"This makes it the most comprehensive launch in mobile history. There has never been a platform launching with that many carriers," he said. When the iPhone 5 made its debut in September it actually had more -- Apple said there would be 240 carriers by December. But Boulben points out that BlackBerry 10 is an entirely new operating system that doesn't share a single line of code with previous BlackBerry software; the iPhone 5 and iOS 6, by contrast, was essentially an upgrade.

At Wednesday's event the company will show its new handsets in detail. RIM is expected to release a touch-screen device called the Z10 and another with a physical keyboard. AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon have said they will carry devices that run the new software. Boulben also said RIM will highlight major differences between BlackBerry 10 and the other leading mobile phone platforms.

"We are highly differentiated in four areas," Boulben said. The first is with communications -- RIM has designed the software around a messaging hub and new multitasking features. The second: the touch keyboard, which predicts words as you are typing them. Lastly, RIM says its BlackBerry Messenger and its BlackBerry Balance feature, which separates work from personal uses on the phone, set it apart.

Boulben would not address specifically how much market share RIM is hoping to gain back in the U.S., having lost the lead it had in the last decade. According to Kantar Worldpane ComTech's data released in November 2012, the BlackBerry brand only had 1.6 percent of the American smartphone market. The iPhone had 48.1 percent of the market and Android had 46.7.

"It's a change in smartphone experience -- the dominant paradigm, introduced six years ago, was great and revolutionary at the time. But six years is a long time for a technology cycle, with a new user experience with a clear focus we have the opportunity to take market share back," Boulben said.

RIM CMO: BlackBerry 10 Will Make Others Look Outdated

While RIM is of course bullish about its new products, it faces one big challenge it might not be able to control: apps. While the platform might be innovative, it will trail behind the Apple App Store and Google Play Store in variety of apps. Boulben says the momentum around apps is strong and that Wednesday the BlackBerry World store will launch with 70,000 new apps.
    This is page one of two. Please head over to ABCNews for the rest.
    01-29-13 03:53 PM
    Thanks for sharing...nice new avatar by the way.
    Stocklone and W Hoa like this.
    01-29-13 03:58 PM
    the BlackBerry brand only had 1.6 percent of the American smartphone market.
    Again, statistics not properly explained! Joanna Stern is usually better than this!

That study measured the number of new smartphones sold in a three month period. That's not the same thing as "actively in use in the market" but I bet you many people now assume that only 1.6% of all smartphones in the USA is a BlackBerry.
    01-29-13 04:03 PM
    Again, statistics not properly explained! Joanna Stern is usually better than this!

That study measured the number of new smartphones sold in a three month period. That's not the same thing as "actively in use in the market" but I bet you many people now assume that only 1.6% of all smartphones in the USA is a BlackBerry.
    That IS market share you are thinking of user base.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    01-29-13 04:06 PM
    "BlackBerry World store will launch with 70,000 new apps" didn't RIM stated that they had about 100.000+ native apps back in december?
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    01-29-13 04:06 PM

And this is determined how?
    01-29-13 04:18 PM
    the BlackBerry brand only had 1.6 percent of the American smartphone market.
    The good news with that number is, if RIM sells a couple of million more phones next quarter (or this one) over its previous quarter in the US, the bump in % will be significant. I can see the news now, 'RIM doubles (triples) its share of US market.' I'd be ok with that.
    01-29-13 04:19 PM

Therein lies the problem. "Market share of what?" New devices sold? # of smartphones in use? Web traffic? US? Global?

All of these things get proclaimed as "marketshare" without further explanation in the media.
    01-29-13 04:31 PM
    "BlackBerry World store will launch with 70,000 new apps" didn't RIM stated that they had about 100.000+ native apps back in december?
    I think RIM themselves has always said 70,000. An analyst said, "I'm hearing 100,000"
    01-29-13 04:32 PM

GOOD FRACKIN GRACIOUS. Just explained this in another thread...and it's not the first time people have tried. WIllfull delusion/ignorance because the numbers seem personally unpalatable to these individuals....accusations that the rest of the world has the "wrong" definition.....it can't be an inability to understand....this is elementary school terminology!
    VanMtl likes this.
    01-29-13 04:58 PM
    [QUOTE=cgk;7898336]That IS market share you are thinking of user base.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD[/QUOTE

and that is determined how...waiting.
    01-29-13 05:03 PM
    I think RIM themselves has always said 70,000. An analyst said, "I'm hearing 100,000"
    Well know for sure tomorrow , I'm hoping that BB World will have at least those 100.000+ Apps
    01-29-13 05:04 PM
    sssssssssssssssssss
    Therein lies the problem. "Market share of what?" New devices sold? # of smartphones in use? Web traffic? US? Global?

All of these things get proclaimed as "marketshare" without further explanation in the media.
    NOPE. I find it is almost always defined (of course, not invariably, given the number of "articles" on the web...and....as many threads here stand in testament to - the inability of some people to understand what marketshare is.

In any case, contrary to your allegation here, it is being used correctly, and clearly:

According to Kantar Worldpane ComTech's data released in November 2012, the BlackBerry brand only had 1.6 percent of the American smartphone market.

This answers all the questions you just had (aside from the fact that the source was cited, making it easy to look up details). Rest assured, that with no further extensions, "smartphone market" is likely to refer to....ta-da....marketshare of smartphones! ie. smartphone sales
    Your assertion that it could be interpeted as:

That's not the same thing as "actively in use in the market" but I bet you many people now assume that only 1.6% of all smartphones in the USA is a BlackBerry.

is simply INCORRECT. That isn't a measure of any kind of "marketshare". Anyone who reads it that way, simply fails to understand the term. Now what you CAN do, from the perspective of a business providing making fees off of those users, is define their marketshare using similar metrics, but that, of course, is an entirely different business/paradigm than what was being discussed here.
    01-29-13 05:08 PM
    sssssssssssssssssss

NOPE. I find it is almost always defined (of course, not invariably, given the number of "articles" on the web...and....as many threads here stand in testament to - the inability of some people to understand what marketshare is.

In any case, contrary to your allegation here, it is being used correctly, and clearly:

According to Kantar Worldpane ComTech's data released in November 2012, the BlackBerry brand only had 1.6 percent of the American smartphone market.

This answers all the questions you just had (aside from the fact that the source was cited, making it easy to look up details). Rest assured, that with no further extensions, "smartphone market" is likely to refer to....ta-da....marketshare of smartphones! ie. smartphone sales
    Your assertion that it could be interpeted as:

That's not the same thing as "actively in use in the market" but I bet you many people now assume that only 1.6% of all smartphones in the USA is a BlackBerry.

is simply INCORRECT. That isn't a measure of any kind of "marketshare". Anyone who reads it that way, simply fails to understand the term. Now what you CAN do, from the perspective of a business providing making fees off of those users, is define their marketshare using similar metrics, but that, of course, is an entirely different business/paradigm than what was being discussed here.
    I'll give ya a 9.3 on the reply...saddly this one says 3.4%
    RIM faces its day of reckoning with BlackBerry 10 launch | Reuters
    ;0
    richardat likes this.
    01-29-13 05:15 PM
    And this is determined how?
    If you're genuinely curious, or have a problem with the statistical methodology, the company who released that report is online. The RIM number there is in rough agreement with other analysis however.
    01-29-13 05:20 PM
    I'll give ya a 9.3 on the reply...saddly this one says 3.4%
    RIM faces its day of reckoning with BlackBerry 10 launch | Reuters
    ;0
    Oh, I just replied to you. The figure you're quoting here is for "global" marketshare, which they clearly state. Note of course that different analysis can most certainly get disparate figures....in the case of RIM's NA marketshare, the figures are roughly in agreement (that I've seen...and of course noting that "roughly" is subjective as well).

PS. Thanks for being open-minded, and actually reading what I wrote! Beats the insults and personal attacks I got in the other thread...and in that one...I didn't show emotion at all...just robotic statements! LOL
    Last edited by richardat; 01-29-13 at 05:34 PM.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    01-29-13 05:23 PM
    The good news with that number is, if RIM sells a couple of million more phones next quarter (or this one) over its previous quarter in the US, the bump in % will be significant. I can see the news now, 'RIM doubles (triples) its share of US market.' I'd be ok with that.
    True! That is one way to look at the cup half full. MS tried to get some mileage out of that recently.
    01-29-13 05:29 PM
    We waitting today, Jan 30,2013. RIM

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    01-29-13 05:36 PM
    is simply INCORRECT. That isn't a measure of any kind of "marketshare". Anyone who reads it that way, simply fails to understand the term.
    That is my point ...
    01-29-13 05:39 PM
    Tomorrow the future of mobile computing will be unveiled...looking so forward to this, just like RIM did developing this beauty.
    01-29-13 05:45 PM

Depends on the survey and what they are trying to explain - but it is always connected to a specific time period (generally a quarter) and is generally either - units sold or expressed as percentage increase or decrease. When you talk about 86 million users of blackberry, you are talking about the userbase - how many people are actively using the product - that is a accumulative total.
    01-30-13 02:20 AM
    Depends on the survey and what they are trying to explain - but it is always connected to a specific time period (generally a quarter) and is generally either - units sold or expressed as percentage increase or decrease. When you talk about 86 million users of blackberry, you are talking about the userbase - how many people are actively using the product - that is a accumulative total.
    I know that. :-) I'm saying that a) journalists sometimes do a bad job explaning it; and b) readers often misinterpret what the study represents
    01-30-13 04:39 AM
  23. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    RIM will let the bb10 do the talking! ... It will be an impressive story!! .. talking begins today!!
    01-30-13 06:17 AM