RIM Announces BlackBerry Mobile Voice System 5 with Voice over Wi-Fi Calling | CrackBerry.com

i think this is HUGE for the businesses to have this on there Blackberrys! I can see a lot more businesses using Blackberrys even more so now then the past...
    04-26-10 08:08 AM
    And i can see a huge boost on loyalty for the ones already on BES... if RIM has it right on release time that is... companies are not prone to extortion... If it the cost does not match the earned value the solution can bring, they will not jump in.

Still, makes me with I was on a BES...
    04-26-10 09:20 AM
    And i can see a huge boost on loyalty for the ones already on BES... if RIM has it right on release time that is... companies are not prone to extortion... If it the cost does not match the earned value the solution can bring, they will not jump in.

Still, makes me with I was on a BES...
    Companies will evaluate it to understand if the option is right for them and it has the appropriate ROI. Seems like a big announcement though.
    04-26-10 09:50 AM
    From the crackberry home page:

"Of course there is a cost to MVS and for the Wi-Fi MVS 5.0 currently is only supported on Cisco Unifed Communications Manager 6.1. So if you're not already rocking this system you must migrate over. That is not cheap.
    As well, there is no seamless integration of the cellular and Wi-Fi so if you're on a Wi-Fi call and leave that WiFi zone the call will drop the call. There is a way through the menu to switch over to cellular network. Sadley unless you are aware of your surrounding and know that the W-Fi network is going to drop off you'll be out of luck and will need to reinitiate the call on cellular."

Its a great solution/integration for some, but its not the next coming of Jesus either. There are few who use Cisco Unifed Communications Manager 6.1, and the WIFI/cell integration is a real bummer.

A cool feature, sure, but they should be working on other more important things.
    04-26-10 10:16 AM
    @stuaw11 and 17guy

Like I said, they will have to do the math (ROI, EV, IRR, Balanced Scorecard, heads or tails... whatever they use) to decide if it is or not a good thing to get.

Sad it requires Cisco Unified Comm Manager, it just make the buy-in a lil harder for those that will still have to go through the hassle of implementing that solution just so they can have MVS 5.

EDIT: Oh, and Mr. Jesus won't come back untill we gets a BlackBerry worthy of His Glory. Didn't you get the BBM Broadcast this morning? :P
    04-26-10 12:55 PM
    A cool feature, sure, but they should be working on other more important things.
    That's right, the developers they had working on this feature are the only ones that they have in the company and by working on this they have delayed all other developments.
    04-26-10 12:57 PM
    That's right, the developers they had working on this feature are the only ones that they have in the company and by working on this they have delayed all other developments.
    No, but there are MUCH more critical issues to work on in their portfolio than this WIFI calling deal that few will even be able to use.
    04-26-10 04:00 PM
    Well at least it looks like they are supporting more than Cisco and support SIP (just Optimized for Cisco). So you could use a SIP gateway and a real PBX.
    04-26-10 07:41 PM
    I've always been curious about MVS - are there a lot of companies that actually use it?
    04-27-10 03:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD