Since coming and going to and from BB platform for a while, my and others' biggest gripe is the BIS and how its just a glorified inbox, while other platforms do Exchange and Gmail out of the box with calendar, contacts, folders, etc.

RIM making “big” announcement Tuesday, BESX, unlimited and free? Cloud syncing? � Boy Genius Report

Looks like RIM is FINALLY getting the picture that people WANT good email support, not just an inbox. I guess they saw their marketshare slip 2% last quarter and said o crap we better do something our customers want now.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 02-13-10 at 11:06 AM.
    02-13-10 11:02 AM
    What exactly will this mean for the regular consumer?
    02-13-10 11:11 AM
    Wow they have finally learned. Here's to hoping this is true for BB users. This is an awesome (but should have been like this from the beginning) addition, but this alone is not enough to make the BB my primary device again.
    02-13-10 11:11 AM
    I agree I wouldnt say its quite enough to go back quite yet, but its a GREAT step in the right direction and shows they really arent neglecting their consumer base anymore along with the Webkit browser.

Im definitely keeping my eye on BB again now to see what they do with it though. the iphone can always be sold off for an ipod touch which does 99% of the same stuff if BB can step up on these 2 big items.
    02-13-10 11:14 AM
    What exactly will this mean for the regular consumer?
    It means that instead of just having an inbox, youd have email folders (like Gmail or any regular email account), wireless syncing of contacts and calendar, etc. Its something that needs to become the norm these days.
    02-13-10 11:15 AM
    fixing BIS by making it BES... it's not rocket science... BIS SUCKS

this could bring me back to RIM/BB sooner than later... just jumped back to a Nexus One... couldn't stand the BB limitations... (non BES, I was using BIS).... Of course, they'd need a new device, touchscreen (with high res screen - NOT a Storm in its current form) with possibly slider keyboard to lure me back... but hey, anything is possible!
    02-13-10 11:21 AM
    Sucks for you guys on BIS.

How about something actually newsworthy, like that Webkit browser or Flash.
    02-13-10 12:54 PM

How can you say this isn't newsworthy? Just because this doesn't matter to you does not mean it isn't newsworthy. This is HUGE. RIM finally offering things that other devices do out of the box for free.

And how about something even more news worthy than Webkit browsers and flash...like a complete OS overhaul...
    02-13-10 01:00 PM

How exactly does it "suck for us on BIS" when it is an improvement of the BIS service??

How can you say this isn't newsworthy? Just because this doesn't matter to you does not mean it isn't newsworthy. This is HUGE. RIM finally offering things that other devices do out of the box for free.

And how about something even more news worthy than Webkit browsers and flash...like a complete OS overhaul...
    Agreed, althought OS 5.0 themes do allow some tweaking, giving the impression of a somewhat different/newer OS, we need a bit more than that.

Here is a good way to go, if you ask me:

1-BESX (the topic of this thread)
    2-WebKit Browser
    3-OS Overhaul (5.1? 5.7? 6.0?)
    4-New devices (with NEW features)
    5-Sevices price drop

If this does not get people hunting for blackberries, I don't know what will...
    Last edited by diegonei; 02-13-10 at 01:18 PM.
    02-13-10 01:16 PM

Because BES like features are dead last on the list when most people are buying smartphones now (you can thank Apple for that) and will effect very little users currently.

This is no godsend, just a bone being tossed to the whiners about activesync. I'll keep rocking along with my BES and knowing whatever comes out will be inferior.

OS is being overhauled, its called 6.0
    02-13-10 01:23 PM
    How exactly does it "suck for us on BIS" when it is an improvement of the BIS service??
    Because its going to be limited, and if you think otherwise you're naive as ****.
    Is it going to fix your truncated emails? Is it going to render your e-mails better?

No, its most likely going to be a stripped down version to sync stuff, most likely it will functions like an old version of BES but without all the good stuff.

RIM should have already had something like this out for smaller users, but simply to be excited over this when there are SERIOUS flaws with BIS that extend beyond this is lame.
    02-13-10 01:31 PM
    Because BES like features are dead last on the list when most people are buying smartphones now (you can thank Apple for that) and will effect very little users currently.

This is no godsend, just a bone being tossed to the whiners about activesync. I'll keep rocking along with my BES and knowing whatever comes out will be inferior.

OS is being overhauled, its called 6.0
    Yes this is a godsend for BIS users getting... of what everyone else is getting for free. You're damn right people are whining because it is ... RIM didn't include these features.

Yea we'll see what 6.0 brings. 5.0 was suppose to be big. Threaded texts have been around for a while now...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-10 01:54 PM
    Do I Get truncated email?

You sir, need some attitude adjustment.
    02-13-10 02:13 PM
    Guys rim has been very quiet all the other companies has had big news now its going to be rims turn! They report earnings I. Early april I think you watch all the news that starts coming out from next week and until after earnings report. There stock is up almost 18% this month alone and that's because of all the big mutual funds buying back in and there us a reason for it .
    02-13-10 05:10 PM
    Stock may be up but their marketshare is sliding. That's equally as important than the stock price.

You may think the CEO's and board sit there taping the tips of their fingers together saying "excellent" when they make money, but being the "best' and #1 equally mean as much to them. This is a rare few times that RIM lost marketshare to anyone, and a significant amount of their market, while only Apple and Google grew (Palm and MS lost too).

Google makes biggest gain in smartphone market share

You may only say, oh well its only 1%, but Apple gained 1.2 % and Google 2.7 %, so surely some of the RIM defectors accounted for that. Every 1% RIM looses and Andoird/Apple gains brings them closer. Also realize that 1% sounds small, but thats over the TOTAL US smartphone market- could be hundreds of thousands of customers/sales lost(if not a million or 2) in that 1 small %.

And this was only over a 3 month period this happened.

They wont be happy seeing that their marketshare is being slowly lost to Android and iphone, hence the likely reason for this announcement and purchase of Torch for their browser.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 02-13-10 at 05:33 PM.
    02-13-10 05:24 PM
    I hope there is more news than that...
    02-13-10 06:12 PM
    If this is all they fix, it's time to move on from BlackBerrys. Man I used to love BlackBerrys a year ago...
    02-13-10 06:29 PM
    Do I Get truncated email?

You sir, need some attitude adjustment.
    Lulz, you're happy about this...if i were on BIS id rather not have clipped out emails than what these rumors are suggesting.

Nah, my attitude is fine tyvm

Stock may be up but their marketshare is sliding. That's equally as important than the stock price.

You may think the CEO's and board sit there taping the tips of their fingers together saying "excellent" when they make money, but being the "best' and #1 equally mean as much to them. This is a rare few times that RIM lost marketshare to anyone, and a significant amount of their market, while only Apple and Google grew (Palm and MS lost too).

You may only say, oh well its only 1%, but Apple gained 1.2 % and Google 2.7 %, so surely some of the RIM defectors accounted for that. Every 1% RIM looses and Andoird/Apple gains brings them closer. Also realize that 1% sounds small, but thats over the TOTAL US smartphone market- could be hundreds of thousands of customers/sales lost(if not a million or 2) in that 1 small %.

They wont be happy seeing that their marketshare is being slowly lost to Android and iphone, hence the likely reason for this announcement and purchase of Torch for their browser.
    In that same 3 month period, Apple lost 1.1% overall worldwide marketshare (this mind you while Apple broke NUMEROUS EXCLUSIVE DEALS WITH CARRIERS) while RIM gained .6%. None of the BIG players gained much marketshare except for Android, which benefited from a dying Motorola and Verizons desperation for an iPhone like phone is readily apparent throwing well over 100 million to get the phone advertised and rapidly get mindshare.

Fact is, millions are buying smartphones for the overall package not just email. This is why RIM throwing people a bone isnt going to bring in a new wave of people, exciting devices with engaging software will first and foremost.
    02-13-10 11:29 PM
    No one ever said its ALL about email, but face the fact that the US is RIM's largest market.

And this functionality, especially gmail, is something consumers expect in this day and age when every other platform supports IMAP/gmail exchange out of the box.

Its not all about BES per say but even Gmail/yahoo/MS Live, the US' largest email services are lacking severely on BIS. Gmail is a pure nightmare on BIS. With Gmail inching towards #2 behind yahoo and ahead of MS Live, RIM CANT ignore those users anymore.

You might not believe so, but email is one of the biggest functions people use on a smartphone (nearly the same 49% of users who use texts access email on a daily basis), ESPECIALLY a Blackberry. You cant neglect 50% of the smartphone market equaling tens of millions of people.

Besides answering calls and making calls, 49 percent of all smartphone users text message, while almost as many e-mail (48 percent) and use their contacts/address book (45 percent) every day.
    This is another way to bring people back to Blackberry, or even keep them there. Its also a good way to entice smaller non-BES businesses to use RIM services and still get the same functionality a BES system would give them. Running BES isnt cost effective for smaller businesses vs Exchange. This would allow those small companies to get BES basically for the same cost as the base BIS.

There's a lot of reasons this is good for the consumer and why RIM would want to offer this
    Last edited by stuaw11; 02-14-10 at 12:01 AM.
    02-13-10 11:52 PM
    My emails coming to my BB is good enough... How push mail be weak?
    Any improvements are welcomed!

02-14-10 12:25 AM
    Wireless syncing of email, contacts and calendar is big.

I've been looking for this for over two years now. With all of the apps out there I couldn't believe nobody came out with something by now. Apple MobileMe does a very nice job but it doesn't work with BB. I was never looking for something for free. I have no problem paying for something as long as it works and does what I want. Let's hope this announcement on Tuesday doesn't fall short.
    02-14-10 09:10 AM

Last quarter's marketshare is not as important as today's stock price. Yes, RIM lost some US marketshare, but that's to be expected. Everyone is going to lose some marketshare when a new dominate player like Google begins to gain some traction. The reason the stock is up is because investors are liking RIM's outlook. Investors see growth, even if overall marketshare declines. The market itself is growing, so while RIM might not own as big a piece of the share, the number of phones it could sell continues to grow.

But there's no doubt that RIM is facing some serious challenges. Google will take some marketshare from everyone, and at the moment the only competitor that seems to trying to keep pace with Google's innovation is Apple. This new BESX thing RIM is talking about is a step in the right direction; however, I'm not sure if this is really what's needed to sustain its current growth levels in the consumer market. They need to bring a lot more to the table if they want to continue to growth their consumer base, and they really need that base. Looking at RIM's financial statements, they're basically making 80% of their revenue from consumers. They simply cannot afford to let this market segment slip away.
    02-14-10 09:20 AM
    Its a start.
    If they overhaul the OS, render non-truncated email better, provide a real browser and provide app on sd support by March I'll stay

But I'm glad RIM is waking up. I'll certainly be checking RIM out again in the future.

02-14-10 09:21 AM
    I think people are confusing that I said that this is ONE STEP in the right direction for consumers. As said, a HUGE portion of their business is consumer and theyve been neglecting this segment for too long now, hence why more prosumer OSs are gaining traction fast like Web OS, Android, and iphone.

I dont think I ever insinuated this is all they need to do to get people to stay or bring people in. But it is one of those "finally" types of moments, along with a webkit browser. At least theyre moving towards competing for consumers' interest.

I do agree they need to fix email rendering, if its an email based device, dont let your competitors have better email viewing/rendering. Key on what you do best! Also, Ive said it 10 times before too, dump the OS and build something new ground up ala Palm. It was successful for them, and they cant keep using the dinosaur OS for another 5 or 10 years. Java isnt the ONLY secure platform to build on no matter what RIM wants you to believe, theyre just too lazy/fixed in their ways to change. It just wont be able to compete outside the people that MUST use BB for work or provided to them (like government, etc). But this is a VERY small sector of the smartphone market.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 02-14-10 at 10:18 AM.
    02-14-10 10:09 AM
    and what happens when business start spending money again and the business sales go up think how many phones they will sell then and the U S is not the market it was china is the new USA
    02-14-10 02:02 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD