RIM to announce only one phone at BlackBerry World? Just read this over at BGR. I highly doubt this is the case though.
    04-22-11 09:56 AM
    cant see this happening, doubt it..
    04-22-11 10:04 AM
    When it comes to RIM nothing surprises me anymore.
    04-22-11 10:05 AM
    I really hope they release their complete new lineup. Just releasing the Bold Touch... While for sure an amazing device, a lot of other users will feel left behind....

Right now I think RIM really has the Bold, Torch, "Storm" and Curve lineup, and I really wish they show new models for each line...
    04-22-11 10:27 AM
    You know, this is a pretty discouraging. However, I'm not going to take BGR's word as Dogma. To believe that RIM would do this...is pretty believable. But it does seem highly unlikely. This puts the onus on RIM to really show out at this event, or risk being vilified by the likes of Engadget, BGR, etc.

I'm hoping that Boy Genius is blowing smoke up our tails. If not, I can only hope that this phone is the pinnacle of BlackBerry, because anything less would be Horrible for BlackBerry right now. I'm sincerely hoping that CrackBerry can reach out to RIM, and get some clarification here...because frankly, this is a little scary.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-22-11 10:29 AM
    Clearly their focus has been getting the PlayBook out the door, and it's still months away from being finished. Plus how important is it to release more 6.1 devices when the supposed QNX phones are coming next year?
    As much as I personally want a QNX handheld, I might actually have to wait and see how it works and skip on being an early adopter.

I really hope they release their complete new lineup. Just releasing the Bold Touch... While for sure an amazing device, a lot of other users will feel left behind....

Right now I think RIM really has the Bold, Torch, "Storm" and Curve lineup, and I really wish they show new models for each line...
    This and with all the leaks we have seen lately, how could they possibly only have one phone to show.
    04-22-11 10:34 AM
    That would be bad news, but I don't buy it. They were announcing the Playbook way before it was released - why treat the new phones any differently? (In related news, I saw a Playbook in person today - WANT!)

04-22-11 10:34 AM
    I like it. Apple does well announcing just a new iPhone every time.

Nobody cares about the multitude of models RIM churns out. Sure, they sell, but they are not newsworthy and they only dilute attention.

RIM is a one trick pony. The Bold is the only real BlackBerry in a sea of irrelevant devices. It's better that they stick with what they know, and the other devices can trickle out afterwards in press releases or minor events.

I hope RIM has finally learned to put its best out in front.

04-22-11 10:43 AM
    tHIS DOES FEED INTO THE RUMOR THE THE MONACO WAS CANCELLED THOUGH. Let's hope not. (sorry caps)
    04-22-11 10:46 AM
    Sorry but I told you people
    04-22-11 11:29 AM
    Sorry but I told you people
    What exactly did you tell people? As of yesterday you were telling people that the Monaco and Monza were coming soon. In what post did you indicate that RIM is announcing 1 device at BBW, and the Monaco was cancelled?
    04-22-11 11:39 AM
    Well BGR also has an article explaining RIM's lineup and there's like 4 different curves. Maybe they won't show every single phone but I do expect to see them present the major three atleast. That's the Monaco, Bold Touch and Torch2 <-- if you consider that a major upgrade.
    04-22-11 11:43 AM
    I don't think the Torch 2 wil be there since it is more likely to come out one year after the first one and doesn't have many new surprises compared to the first one
    04-22-11 11:49 AM
    This totally sounds like something RIM would do. At least it's the Bold Touch, the one I'm considering actually getting. Must see more of it.
    04-22-11 11:57 AM
    If they only announce/release one device, then it better be good, because a lot of us will be pis*ed if our device is not released.

04-22-11 12:47 PM
    Lol this isn't surprising.
    04-22-11 12:50 PM
    This is just a rumor. Take it with a grain of salt.
    xxxmerlinxxx likes this.
    04-22-11 12:55 PM
    Instead of them focusing on the market where they are losing share daily, they spent all that time on the playbook, still losing market share and will have modest sales at best for the playbook. I would think that if your smartphone share is shrinking you would be working or reinventing that and not focusing on a niche market.
    sivan likes this.
    04-22-11 01:53 PM
    Instead of them focusing on the market where they are losing share daily, they spent all that time on the playbook, still losing market share and will have modest sales at best for the playbook. I would think that if your smartphone share is shrinking you would be working or reinventing that and not focusing on a niche market.
    True, but their plan was to make a much better OS and they felt that if they invested in it early on, their reboot will be more successful. They want their QNX devices to be good when they come out- so they are working the kinks out of QNX beforehand. Plus they need to make sure the UI is good enough on a smartphone.

Logical? I think so. But it is costing them.
    MisterMe11 likes this.
    04-22-11 02:04 PM
    What exactly did you tell people? As of yesterday you were telling people that the Monaco and Monza were coming soon. In what post did you indicate that RIM is announcing 1 device at BBW, and the Monaco was cancelled?
    I said that they would not be here early. I was told that they would not all be introduced at one time and that they would be stretched out with introductions over months and not all at the event. Much less, all early!
    04-22-11 05:27 PM
    I still think RIM will at least announce both Bold Touch and Touch at BBW..maybe they'll highlight the fact the Bold Touch will be their flagship device and show off the Touch as the "Future" of things to come.

04-22-11 06:06 PM
    If the Touch isn't announced and coming in May or June, I'm going to be pissed. I've been limping along on my Storm for far too long. While the Bold Touch looks good, I'd rather have the larger screen. Although now with the PlayBook, I might be tempted back to the Bold's keyboard
    04-22-11 07:23 PM
    True, but their plan was to make a much better OS and they felt that if they invested in it early on, their reboot will be more successful. They want their QNX devices to be good when they come out- so they are working the kinks out of QNX beforehand. Plus they need to make sure the UI is good enough on a smartphone.

Logical? I think so. But it is costing them.
    I think so also. They need to work out the kinks in QNX as the hardware in the handhelds will be similiar to playbook, albeit scaled down a bit.

But I'm hoping the current announcements are gee-whiz-bang announcements.
    04-22-11 07:41 PM
    If the Touch isn't announced and coming in May or June, I'm going to be pissed. I've been limping along on my Storm for far too long. While the Bold Touch looks good, I'd rather have the larger screen. Although now with the PlayBook, I might be tempted back to the Bold's keyboard
    yeahhh that's why I'm considering the Bold touch. Got an ipad 2 recently and ever since then I've almost totally stopped using my android phone outside of the odd text/making phone calls so I'm thinking to just go back to blackberry as my main phone.

Not the same situation but similar enough.
    04-22-11 09:08 PM
    This is just a rumor. Take it with a grain of salt.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    xxxmerlinxxx likes this.
    04-22-11 09:54 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD